PDA

View Full Version : FPrime renders Obesity project

Zarathustra
04-03-2004, 09:28 AM
Well, I couldn't have finished these without FPrime. The one with the measuring cups could still use more refinement but I ran out of time. The client was still happy - especially considering the alternative would have been some stills at best with LW's renderer.

Obesity Graphics (http://magicanimation.com/KidsHealth/Obesity.html)

What kind of time are we talking? Well, I made a rough shot of 2 soda cans and a calendar pad for the initial bid (January?). I got the script and the instructions March 12th. I delivered finals April 2nd. The scale was built to roughly match a stock photo used in the initial bid.
Another beauty of FPrime was submitting lower refinement animations for tests and placeholders.

I thought I'd share these so that the newbs could get a glimpse at the production process, pros can see another example of how FPrime can save your a s s, and of course to give a few more examples of FPrime renders. I would have loved more time to clean up the shots, maybe add DOF, but there simply wasn't enough time.
The cups - 96 glass cups, 3 area lights, ray traced shadows, transparency, reflection and refraction. I cancelled an F9 test with no AA after 4 hours - I don't know if it was still working or just choked. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU FPrime. :D

cans - quality level 9
cups and scale - quality level 6

mgreenway
04-03-2004, 11:03 AM
Your project turned out really well.
Good Work.

And Thank You for the insights.

jamesl
04-06-2004, 03:01 AM
I like the calender animation. How'd you do it? I can think of a couple ways, but just curious... it looked 'right'.

cheers,

j

UnCommonGrafx
04-06-2004, 07:03 AM
There's gonna be a lot more glass and refraction anims this year, I predict!

Well done. Love the measuring cups. I bet seeing it on a vid monitor offers quite a satisfying feeling. ;)
Fprime sucks... all my breathe away

Zarathustra
04-06-2004, 07:27 AM
Thanks, all.

I made the top 20 pages as separate objects and moved their pivot points to the top left corner. I considered bones, but that would have been a whole mess of bones so I made 4 different morph positions.
The goal is to show these on the news, so I had to be a bit boring with bringing in the cans.

I was a little surprised that I didn't have, nor could I find easily a model of a measuring cup. So I went and grabbed one out of the kitchen and made one.

It was a mixed feeling seeing the cups animation because I would have liked it refined more and some other changes. Also after waiting so long for it it's kind of anti-climactic.

Intuition
04-08-2004, 08:12 PM
Nice stuff Zarathustra.

I have the same feeling towards F-prime.

We are doing things with it overnight we wouldn't try in like a week with radiosity.

BTW....

Are you really the Anti-Christ?

;)

Zarathustra
04-08-2004, 09:31 PM
Thanks.
I'm rendering all kinds of "forbidden" stuff like radiosity, DOF, etc.

You are who you say you are.

sheidi
04-23-2004, 06:11 PM
Hmm this is actually interesting. Even tho my accomplishments are much worse I'm still facing A LOT tighter deadlines. To next week I'm facing this nice job when I should build whole BIG building and furniture's in a week and beside that of course do decent lightning and animate a camera flytrough :) This thread actually have managed to get me this hope that it's not always like this :D

miso popovic
04-24-2004, 03:09 PM
the glasses of sugar look realy cool, but they kinda seem to be missing some shadows IMHO

Zarathustra
04-25-2004, 08:41 AM
I believe it was 3 area lights, but only one casting shadows.

miso popovic
04-26-2004, 02:05 AM
here's what i mean:you see how on the table it appears like there is a strong light lighting it right where that glass is, but the glass doesent appear to be casting any shadow on the floor, making it look like it's not of the table.

Zarathustra
04-26-2004, 06:46 AM
Probably the back light is blowing out the shadows. I'm pretty confident that whatever errors you see are evidence of my weak lighting skills and not FPrime:D

Hurben
04-26-2004, 08:38 PM
I don't wish to be rude or anything.. but that's an awfully long time you spent for those type of results..

Zarathustra
04-27-2004, 09:04 AM
The calendar they took right away.
The scale and the cups were delivered (as a rough) on March 22, but they had to be changed. Both grew in length of time and the cups was originally 2 animations which became one long one, so rendering was the major time spent.

I have stated on numerous occasions my poor lighting ability.

I've seen things on this forum that were rude, Steve. No, I don't think you are.

My motivation, as stated earlier, was to give some insight in the process and of FPrime. Not a lot of pros post their production times or details about their projects beyond some wires and/or screenshots from Layout. I'm fully aware that opening myself up like this leaves me open for scrutiny.
Some of the people here claim they're afraid of posting due to the scrutiny. My critiques are generally harsh because that's what would help me. There's nothing mean or rude in my comments, either; although, some may take them that way. That's not the intent. So don't hold back.

I'll be the first to admit there are huge chunks of LW that I don't know because I don't use them often enough. In this case, something as simple as glass threw me a bit because I can't think of the last time I did anything with glass. Now, if it were a table with 96 sugar coated human organs, for instance.....

paulrus
04-27-2004, 09:28 AM
Looks nice - I love the way the cans pop on the table, but I'm questioning the actual data in the study. Perhaps I've got some freaky metabolism, but this study doesn't apply to me at all.

I've been drinking, on average, 4-6 12 oz cans of soda per day, everyday, since I was around 12 years old. Based on those calculations I should have put on a minimum 1056 additional pounds by now!

And it's not like I'm an athlete or anything - like most people here I work on a computer all day every day. Until I was 25 I never weighed more than 185 - and now, 10 years later I'm still under 200 and I'm 6'2.

I know, this is about the renders (which really do look great), not the data... but I always get curious when organizations throw out data like you'll add 24 pounds per year by drinking 2 sodas per day.

I can't possibly be the only caffeine hound here either...

Zarathustra
04-27-2004, 10:49 AM
Yeah, I don't know what to make of the data. I just animate the scripts I'm lucky to get. I'm not rich enough to pick and choose my projects. Hell, I'd do Veggietales if it meant I could finally buy a house. I'm an animation whore.:D

Thanks, paulrus.

Continuing off topic - I only drink soda as a mixer (Me and Capt. Morgen go way back). Some people just have better metabolisms but I think if your kid is fat, he shouldn't have soda...or cookies, candy, seconds, etc. I mean, if you're fat, you're fat. Making and/or allowing your kid to be fat is wrong and is a form of abuse. I know, I was a fat kid before I did something about it. My mother is a typical Italian mom - she abused me with tons of baked ziti, brasiole, etc. :)

paulrus
04-27-2004, 11:37 AM
MMMMMmmmm baked ziti! My favorite!

Lucky(?) for me I live in the 4th fattest city in America, so I could easily put on another 50 pounds and still look "healthy" compared to everyone around me (ha ha ha - jk!)

I know what you mean about taking projects. A job is a job is a job. You can't buy thousands of dollars worth of software and then sit around making Star Trek models all day.

I do love the way the cans pop up - I kinda wish they had the sound effect from VH1's pop up video when they appear.

Zarathustra
04-27-2004, 11:53 AM
You can't buy thousands of dollars worth of software and then sit around making Star Trek models all day.

LOL:D

Well I saw on CNN a couple months back that Philadelphia, in a poll, had the ugliest people in America so I don't have to try that hard either (or maybe I'm contributing to that ranking).
4th fattest city? Um, I'll guess northern midwest.