PDA

View Full Version : Save in nif files

Bente
04-03-2004, 07:15 AM
I'm about to buy Lightwave, but first I would like to know if it is possible to save meshes in nif files. Or is there a way to convert Lightway meshes to nif? :confused:

Rich
04-05-2004, 02:49 PM
I'm not familiar with the nif format. What program do you plan on using these files with?

Bente
04-06-2004, 01:52 AM
The nif files is used in the game Morrowind. I know that 3D max has a plugin made for it, so that it could export the files as nif. I have seen both programs and liked Lightwave the best, so that's why I asked. :-) But it seems that there isn't anything to do but go for 3D max. I know there a many that uses it to make changes to Morrowind. There are several that makes total conversions of the game, and it looks interesting so I would like to try it out. So I proabably have to start all over and use 3D max indstead ... first choise is Lightwave ... so I'm still hoping.

simonbrewer
04-06-2004, 02:12 AM
The nif file format relates to the NetImmerse* game engine which I had quite a bit of experience with on a commercial game a couple of years ago.

However, to get stuff into game I had to model in LightWave and then import the .lwo and uvs into Max, then export as a .nif using the NetImmerse plugin. I don't think that there is a native .lwo-to- .nif exporter available. You could always ask at http://www.ndl.com/

You can find some good .lwo object importers for Max on www.maxplugins.de if you want to go this route.

Simon

*Just found out that NetImmerse is now called Gamebryo...

Bente
04-06-2004, 02:46 AM
Thanks very much.

Well then I must have both programs, and I haven't planned on that (both very expensive) But I think it's the only thing to do, to try it. (Must think a bit on that one) I will wait a little a see what comes up. I did ask if there was a conversion as you mentioned, so I wait and see what they say. Or else ... must leave it, my budget won't allowe such expenses. Shame I would have loved to try it out.

tudor
04-06-2004, 08:26 AM
I use NetImmerse at work.. No Nif exporter for LW I am afraid.

Bente
04-06-2004, 08:56 AM
Thank you for replying, I guess there is not much else I can do then. It's the hard way to get both of them if I want to try that out.