PDA

View Full Version : reflections too bright/additive reflections

dwburman
04-02-2004, 07:45 PM
Is there a way to stop the reflection in the door from blowing out without buying hypersmooth?

dwburman
04-02-2004, 08:24 PM
never mind. I just changed some surface setting to make it more acceptable. The culprit was the surface color and transparency levels. The reflection is still brighter than the object it is reflecting.

hrgiger
04-03-2004, 08:23 AM
Are you using a set amount of reflection on your surface? I usually use a gradient when I use reflections so you can control where your reflections show up on your surface.

SplineGod
04-03-2004, 04:07 PM
Thats a limitation within Lightwave itself. Theres several ways to address it including adjusting it in post. Hypersmooth is a plugin that gives a lot more options for things like reflections.

dwburman
04-05-2004, 11:42 AM
I was going for more of a frosted glass kind of look but it wasn't working. I think I now have an incidence angle gradient on it now. I may have forgotten to add that since I often use it. I did end up with something usable.

Hypersmooth looks cool but I can't justify the expense at the moment.

I guess in the future I could just do the PSD export and choose the transfer mode I want to use.

SplineGod: Now that I may be done with this project I might start back up on that CA course I keep puting off ;)

SplineGod
04-05-2004, 11:50 AM
Hey Dana,
Start it back up anytime :)

Hervé
04-05-2004, 11:32 PM
well, I am using Hypersmooth on all reflection objects... particulary windows... but now that I use F_Prime, I had to go back to the old fashion reflection in LW... (BTW, LW Reflections are ALWAYS additive, that's why they suuukkk..) well to make it short, I could not believe my eyes, look how dark surfaces reflect.... terrible...:(

I just cant wait for F_prime to support shaders... same thing is true for area lights SUPER suuukkk grainy shadows... when I was using my good Shadow designer.... no grain at ALL, deep shadows are possible, very large super soft shadows are a brise... ahhh I wont even talk about my sweety X_Dof....:mad:

Steve & Ivan should work together... what a super killer team that would be... woaw///Man:D