PDA

View Full Version : Viper died

Brian Dumas
04-02-2004, 04:26 PM
I just updated to a G5 with Panther and reinstalled LW7.5, now when I render a frame with Viper enabled, the Viper window is black. Deselecting draft mode and clicking on Render doesn't do anything.
My manual lacks the entire chapter about rendering and I don't recall how I got it all to work the first time.
Anyone out there able to help me out?

BAD

gjjackson
04-02-2004, 06:25 PM
Well, you could check OpenGL drivers, Viper may not show until surface editor is open. Does everything else work. If this is a Mac you may want to check to Mac area also.

robar3d
04-02-2004, 06:42 PM
Viper can be seen if you're using Sky Tracer, volumetric lights, Hypervoxel, or etc. You just need to play around with it just to see the Viper rendering in action with the desired image(s).

jamesl
04-03-2004, 12:19 AM
robar3d, that doesn't make any sense. He obviously knows how Viper works, but he just upgraded, and now it isn't working!

Brian: "Hello. I usually use regular gasoline in my car, but this time I chose premium, and now it won't start."

robar3d: "you must turn the key in the ignition to make the car go."

huh? :confused:

j

hrgiger
04-03-2004, 08:21 AM
I'm guessing that perhaps you haven't opened up the surface editor yet? I know that's gotten me a few times.
If that isn't it, I may try uninstalling LIghtwave again and reinstalling. That's been the only thing to work for me in the past when I had some problems with Lightwave.

mlinde
04-03-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by hrgiger
I'm guessing that perhaps you haven't opened up the surface editor yet? I know that's gotten me a few times. That's funny, because I was just checking this (I have a similar setup) and I went and opened a scene, opened Viper, pressed F9, went back to Viper and pressed Render -- nothing happened. My coffee finally kicked in, I opened the surface editor and voila! Viper image. :rolleyes:

So, make sure you've had your coffee

Brian Dumas
04-03-2004, 12:33 PM
Thanks to all those who enlightened me.
The snag was indeed the surface editor (now that I've had my coffee).
Now; The object and scene that I set up yesterday and was running just fine suddenly can't be opened (except in Demo mode) since LW claims it can't find the license key.
Yesterday morning (due to the reinstall) I had to call the support line to get a new license key which worked all day yesterday. Today (I'm in on Saturday because this is a sreaming hot job that needs to be done by Monday AM) It claims it can't find it and there's no one home at NewTek to call about it.
Has anyone else experienced this, and if so what was the fix/workaround?

BAD

robar3d
04-03-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by jamesl
robar3d, that doesn't make any sense. He obviously knows how Viper works, but he just upgraded, and now it isn't working!

Brian: "Hello. I usually use regular gasoline in my car, but this time I chose premium, and now it won't start."

robar3d: "you must turn the key in the ignition to make the car go."

huh? :confused:

j

Pardon me, I'm just learning Lightwave 7.5. I thought if you can see any image rendered with Viper as long as you have SkyTracer, Hypervoxel, or etc. mode on. Just thought it was supposed to be that way. Sorry if I was in error or confusing. :(

PeteS
04-05-2004, 09:57 PM
hmmm, when you updated the system it probally wiped out the licence key. you should open up tetedit and just create a new one. you did write it down...didn't you; )

Brian Dumas
04-06-2004, 09:26 AM
After a couple of calls to Tech Services, we figured out the problem.
I had crashed my machine a couple of times trying to solve some FontBook quandries. During the subsequent reinstallation of the OS and programs, I ended up with 3 copies of LightWave on the Hard Drive (all in different locations of course). Deleting two of them fixed it. Apparently LW couldn't decide where it should access the license key and was confused by the fact there were two of them (one a temp and the other permanent).

BAD