PDA

View Full Version : Screamernet

Tony3d
04-02-2004, 09:22 AM
I have been using Lightwave since 5.0 and have never tried node rendering. I work on a very slow G4 tower 500 single processor machine. My wife has a Flat panel 800 iMac just across from me. What do I have to do to use screamernet, and would it be worth the effort. Has anyone tried render commander yet?

paintboy
04-02-2004, 09:31 AM
Has anyone tried render commander yet?
yep works great. the best solution yet.
auto set up at the hobby level($45 usd)
great support...no brainer=)

Johnny
04-02-2004, 10:24 AM
I couldn't recommend renderfarm commander enough... no fuss, no muss, makes it easy to set up, easy to take one or more Macs on or offline. the split rendering feature is a real benefit, too. outstanding support.

well worth the bucks.

J

Tony3d
04-02-2004, 10:28 AM
I still have no experience using screamernet. What do I need besides another Mac, and if I use Renderfarm Commander how do I set it up.

Johnny
04-02-2004, 10:35 AM
in the sense of equipment or software, you already have all you need; Renderfarm Commander makes the set up and "policeing" of the session easy.

I guess I'm assuming that you have a ethernet network connection between your mac and your wife's iMac...that needs to be in place, both macs need to have sharing enabled...the renderfarm commander manual (pdf that comes with) covers that stuff.

probably want to turn off any settings that would sleep either mac..I don't know if that would quash an overnight render, but I've been amazed at how Macs sometimes define "inactivity."

Aside from that, it's pretty much about hitting "Go," and watching the frames pile up.

J

Tony3d
04-02-2004, 10:43 AM
Currently I'm rendering one frame for print. It is a radiosity rendering of a cable. It is posted in the final work section. I estimate the full res will take about 50-60 hours so I can sure use the help from that other machine. Will Renderfarm work on just one frame? So then all I need is a ethernet cable right?

Johnny
04-02-2004, 10:48 AM
yup. it now has a split render feature..so it will coordinate your macs so that the image is divided into up to 16 "strips," which the software will join when the session's over. perfect for big stills rendering.

it's key that the height of your image be divisible by 2, 4, 8, 16, by whole numbers, ie, 16 has to go into the pixel height 4 times, 5 times, etc., as opposed to 3.5 times; otherwise you'll get white lines or seams.

not sure the free version does this, but the hobby version does.

J