PDA

View Full Version : Reinstalling OS and VT card

Matt Drabick
04-02-2004, 06:56 AM
Question: if reinstalling both Windows and the VT software, does it matter if you leave the Toaster card in the system when reinstalling the OS? Should you pull the Toaster card first before installing the OS? If you leave the Toaster card in the PC and install the OS, does this cause problems?

I am asking because I recently reinstalled the OS and VT software on a customer's system that reportedly locked up, etc. They reinstalled everything themselves before bringing the system to me and had various issues including the computer locking up, etc.

I pulled the VT card when I reinstalled the OS and VT[3] software and the system has run perfectly. When I asked the customer if they had left the VT card in the PC when reinstalling the OS and VT software they said yes.

Matt Drabick,
DigiTek Systems
Raleigh, NC
919-790-5488

PIZAZZ
04-02-2004, 09:52 AM
We usually only install the OS with just the Graphics card installed. Maybe a Firewire but as minimal as possible.

Matt Drabick
04-02-2004, 09:58 AM
When I build systems I also do that, just the graphics card and nothing else, then the Toaster and finally the FireWire card. Just wondering if leaving the Toaster card in the PC, installing the OS and then the VT software was the root cause of their problems.

Matt Drabick,
DigiTek Systems
Raleigh, NC

mgrusin
04-02-2004, 01:08 PM
Interesting question. My last reinstall I left the VT card in the whole time; the OS didn't mention it until the VT software install, and it didn't seem to cause any unexpected problems (though I may not have run into them yet).

-MG.

Paul Lara
04-02-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by mgrusin
[VT[3]] didn't seem to cause any unexpected problems (though I may not have run into them yet).

If you haven't yet, you won't.