PDA

View Full Version : Pinhead from the Hellraiser Movies

pixelranger
03-18-2003, 12:53 AM
Hi all. It's been a while since I posted, but now I'm back. Today was a quiet day at work so I desided to try to model Pinhead from the Hellraiser Movies. He kicks ***. I was inspired when I saw someone who had mapped the wireframe onto the head for texture reference.

Here's one in early stages. I just put it here 'cause I kinda like the cold lighting scheme.

Regards,
André

pixelranger
03-18-2003, 12:54 AM
And here's the newest version

pixelranger
03-18-2003, 12:55 AM
Here's the wire, for those of you who are interested.

pixelranger
03-18-2003, 01:26 AM
Here's the last one again. This time with a revamp in PS. A friend of mine did the post ( Bjřrn Harald Myhre email:[email protected]).

Post editing makes a huge difference, as you can see :)

PeterJ
03-18-2003, 01:49 AM
Wicked!

wizlon
03-18-2003, 01:53 AM
Very nice work!

pixelranger
03-18-2003, 01:57 AM
Thanks alot. I found som nice refence photos on the web so it only took me 4 hours to model him. ...but I probably spent 8 to 10 hours getting the textures in place. :)

dzogchen
03-18-2003, 01:58 AM
awesome!!:D

hrgiger
03-18-2003, 11:58 AM
Very nice work!

What I've wondered is why they always call him Pinhead, when those are clearly nails in his head.

Long live the cenobyte.

Intuition
03-18-2003, 12:59 PM
Nice.

I luv it.

I like to go into after effects with my animations sometimes just to adjust contrast and lighting a little, it always adds something.

I was wondering if I could get the skin texture you are using or maybe the settings?

I am working on a microscopic skin shot and using a few of my same old settings that are getting a little boring to me.

If possible is there a way I could get these textures?

Just the skin.

If not I understand.

But Awesome work none the less :)

Intuition
03-18-2003, 05:39 PM
here is myskin texture for microscopic angles :-/

hrgiger
03-18-2003, 05:52 PM
The one thing I noticed though is that I thought that Pinhead had black eyes, including the scalara. I didn't think there was any white in there at all.

JDaniel
03-18-2003, 09:18 PM
Very cool Pixelranger! Great model. Is that close up skin a procedural or image,Intuition?

Intuition
03-19-2003, 10:13 AM
one for color andtexture and a greyscale super contrasted version for the bump mapping. I used a regular scanner with my arms and did super zooms at high dpi.

I also used worleys G2 plug in skin settings for the sub surface light scattering of the epidermis that skin naturally has.

looks nice but I was looking for a texture like skin pinhead has :)

pixelranger
03-20-2003, 12:06 PM
Intuition: The skin texture is hand painted UV maps. One for the whole head (color) and one for the eye are and one for the mouth area (these are for the "greyscale channels"), and finally one for the slices. The only procedural is an inverted crumple texture with a UV alpha map and a couple of gradients in the color and specular channels. I don't think it would be much use to you if I sent you the surface (since there are so many UV maps) but if you still want to, pm me and I'll email it to you.

Cheers

pixelranger
03-20-2003, 01:09 PM
Here's a test I did to find out how the morphs were working out. I haven't gotten hold of one of the movies yet (will try to do a scene from hellraiser III) so he just says MAOVE..MAO

...with a very creepy voice.

I'll upload a divx, but I haven't got any place to put it. Does anyone here know of any free web services that I can use? -thanks

hrgiger
03-20-2003, 01:25 PM
I don't know what everyone else does that doesn't have a website, but if you go to yahoo.com, you can create a free account and you can put files into a public folder that you can provide a link to. It's free.

pixelranger
03-21-2003, 02:39 AM
Here's the divx

Morph test (http://andersson.darkglade.com/pixelranger/Test3.avi)

samartin
03-21-2003, 07:20 AM
WOW, that is an awesome clip you produced there, but no sound came thru', not that it really matters as he looks and acts damn realisticly... :bravo:

WilliamVaughan
03-21-2003, 07:46 AM
Holy crap! Please send this into the LW gallery!

pixelranger
03-21-2003, 08:01 AM
Thanks.

Samartin: There's no sound in the clip. The morphs aren't synced to anything, they're just formed in a way so that I could see if they worked out ok. I will lipsync a scene from Hellraiser III later :)

Proton: Thanks, man. I'm a really big fan of both your 3d work and of your invaluable work for the LW community. Which of the pieces do you want me to send in? This is really a great honor.

WilliamVaughan
03-21-2003, 08:10 AM
Send in a few images and we willpick one to post....great work...keep us updated on your work!

JohnD
03-21-2003, 08:32 AM
Damn...now that is some good work. Funny, I just recently started watching the Hellraiser movies at the request of a bud of mine.

samartin
03-21-2003, 08:41 AM
Proton, the images are good but are quite unjust compared to the movie, are there no plans yet to show more movies on newteks site ???

More and more people deserve to see this animation as opposed to more and more clips IMO...

WilliamVaughan
03-21-2003, 08:45 AM
it would be cool...but I have noticed that images get online fatser then movies....I would hate to see this movie sit in a folder for a long time...

samartin
03-21-2003, 09:05 AM
sorry pixelranger to keep posting in here, I was just thinking it would be nice if people say come from softImage and viewed this animation along with many others thinking :-

"Damn LW can do character animation and all for 1k"

I'm sure that alot of people view the stills section and think that anyway, sorry to keep harping on about it but what a professional feel it has... but then again I suppose the big fish have already got their chosen software ?!?!?!

pixelranger
03-21-2003, 09:16 AM
No problem. I'm kinda amazed myself, really, 'cause It took me one day (and night) to make the model and one evening to make morphs and one evening to animate and render. LW is excellent for this stuff!!!

Edit: This was just one of those times when you start working on an idea and everything goes right the first time you try. No remodeling, no retexturing or reanimating. I really was lucky with this one!

lone
03-21-2003, 11:11 AM
beautiful. look forward to seeing it in the gallery.

"the box...you opened it...we came."

bolo
03-21-2003, 10:32 PM
wow excellent ! did you do box modeling or poly by poly for this ?

hrgiger
03-22-2003, 07:19 AM
Pixelranger,

Are you going to model all of him in his leatherbound glory. That would be an awesome model.

The animation is very cool. Very good facial motion. He seems a bit animated for a centobite though. It has been a while since I've seen the movie/s but I seem to remember him not craning his neck around too much like that.

aeroplane
03-22-2003, 10:09 AM
wow!!! Crazy works!!:eek: :eek:

Kcarriedo
03-22-2003, 09:02 PM
Wow that Looks Amazing. Great Job:D

pixelranger
03-23-2003, 06:03 AM
Here's a new lipsync test. Got some problems with the sound on the movie file. Try pressing stop and then play again.

Lipsync test (http://beefcake.xp.no/animations/suffering.avi)

Regards,
André

Epita
03-23-2003, 06:18 AM
WOW, a great model and textures. Got it right first time, that has to be a first for most ppl right

Epita

Kcarriedo
03-23-2003, 12:39 PM
That Lip sync is great. Great design, great lip sync. great job
:)

how many layers where used in texturing him?

kcarriedo

Skonk
03-23-2003, 02:19 PM
great stuff, really good choice of charater to model too :) not an easy one to make.

James..

pixelranger
03-23-2003, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the replies. I do know that the lipsync is bad, so you don't have to be polite ;) . Just rip it apart and tell me whats wrong with it. Aniway, I've fixed it and I'll post it tomorrow. Now it's rendering.

Here's just another picture. I've made some updates (smaller pins, repainted a texture, refined his endomorphs and a couple smaller ones). I also made his head a bit rounder, 'cause it was a bit too tall.
I'll post the new lipsync test tomorrow :)

Regards, André

lone
03-23-2003, 04:45 PM
it just keeps getting better - can't comment on the animation, havn't seen that yet.

Skonk
03-23-2003, 05:39 PM
/me runs off and hides behind the sofa

Rory_L
03-24-2003, 03:01 AM
You could sell this as a poster to dentists: "Brush regularly, or end up like me!"

R

Edit:-
This last pic has a very nice, movie poster painted feel to it.

samartin
03-24-2003, 03:37 AM
any chance of seeing some wires ???

would like to see if you modelled the grid effect around his head or used displacement maps...

PS. if the lipsynching wasn't out it would look like a DVD rip, even better than the last anim test... :bravo:

AnaQuista
03-24-2003, 04:29 AM
another amazing piece by you Andre. I stand in awe.

Zombat
03-24-2003, 05:29 AM
Whoa. Pretty cool...haven't seen the movie hellraiser yet - I was under the impression that 'pinhead' (or at least the dude on the cover) had a wider head.... unless you were going for your own look, which is still cool.

pixelranger
03-24-2003, 05:35 AM
Thanks alot for the replies. Yeah, I think you're right. I'll make his head wider.
Samartin: Look at page 1. There's the wires. The "slices" are just bump maps. :)

hrgiger
03-24-2003, 07:15 AM
Great update. I'm usually a big advocate of using bump maps to suggest geometry rather then modeling them but I think in the case of Pinhead, it would look better if the slices were actually modeled. But I have to say, I think you've done a good enough job with the model everywhere else that it doesn't bother me that much.

Matt
03-24-2003, 11:25 AM
christ on a bike!

the standard of work I see just gets better!

:)

(man I suck in comparison!)

:(

Bionic Antboy
03-24-2003, 11:38 AM
Must say that this is way cool!

As for the lip-sync, it looks good, but it seems there are some keys where Pinhead's mouth is closed, when it shouldn't be. It could be an errant "closed mouth" key or something, because everything else seems fairly accurate, and would look moreso if that was fixed...

Are you just doing the keying in LW, or are you using another package, like Magpie Pro? For lip-sync, Magpie really kicks butt!

All other aspects of this incarnation of Pinhead are fantabulous!

pixelranger
03-24-2003, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the nice replies! Here's an update. I'm having some divx trouble on my machine (the sound plays faster than the picture) but it doesn't happen on all the machines here at work, so maybe it works with your machine. I hope so.

Bionic Antboy: Better now? I pretty much reanimated it. I use LW's standard morph mixer. Or... most of the time I usually use the Graph Editor.

Matt: Christ?? Not exactly ;)

hrgiger: Nice to hear that the bump maps worked out. I was a bit unsure when I made them, but then it was too late to start reorganizing the polygons and edges so that they woud fit the sliced up pattern. Maybe I'll do it later. ...or maybe not.

Here's the update:

Lipsync Test Updated (1,1 mb divX 5.0.3) (http://www.rayk.be/~details/pxlrngr/Suffering.avi)

Regards,
André

Emmanuel
03-25-2003, 05:51 AM
wow, there is something You got completely believable with his yes.Excellent stuff, looks *almost* alive.99% !!

The eyes, the subtle movement of the body, the almost perfect texturing of the face,watch thos eyelids, they are sooo real, the glossiness of the eye !!!!!!!!!!

That is a new reference !!!!!!

Bionic Antboy
03-25-2003, 07:14 AM
Wicked yo! :D

The lipsync looks mucho better. Of course, everything else is still spot on :)

Makes me want to re-watch the movies, well, at least the first one:)

sidewing
03-25-2003, 10:05 AM
Your suffering will be legendary!

Very nice model and texturing. Will he be playing with his cube?

John

hrgiger
03-25-2003, 12:10 PM
That is really great. The new lipsyncing looks awesome. He definately should have his puzzlebox.

Valter
03-25-2003, 12:33 PM
wow wow wow

very nice!!! congratulations

pixelranger
03-25-2003, 05:39 PM
Thanx for the replies!! Gotta love the LW community. I have fixed the lipsync animation and it is rendering now.

Thanks for the tip, hrgiger & sidewing, I think I'll model his arms and give him his Lament Configuration ;)

Here's an update of his textures.

hrgiger
03-25-2003, 06:03 PM
Did you change the bump for the slashes in that last picture ranger? I think they look better then they did before. Maybe it's just the lighting?

Are you going to do anymore of the centobites? I love the one that just constantly gnashes his teeth.

Rory_L
03-25-2003, 08:46 PM
Oh that`s just too good! Am I right: you`ve got a morph for the ear movement?

R

pixelranger
03-26-2003, 06:57 AM
hrgiger: yes, I repainted the bumpmap. I like it better now myself.

Rory_L: Thanks! No, but the ears move a littlebit in the "e"-morph (as in "erect", "better", "legendary"...). I always try to put alot ov movement in the whole face in each morph, so that it looks like the muscles are working and the skin is sliding/streching. For example: When his eyes blinks, a small muscle twitches on the bridge of the nose.

Anyway, I took a stab at texturing his leather outfit. Any comments on how to improve the leather look?

Angel
03-26-2003, 05:05 PM
hi there pixelranger,

Normally i dont like to post just to say WOW....but i couldnt help myself on this one... ;)

WOW!, this is amazing work, absolutly pro...

to me this is the best piece of work i´ve seen on newtek forums since the new look...just my opinion...

The "...even in hell" part of the speech its just perfect...

Kudos pixelranger...

_____
angel

pengo
03-26-2003, 05:40 PM
incredible!!!! Your work is exceptional!!!! The eyes are incredible,
are alive!!! it is alive!!! compliments, you are the best one!

pengo

korn_kid
03-26-2003, 06:53 PM
this is some great work,
it looks very very realistic especialy the skin and eyes.
Some of my friends still think it's an actual photo, they can believe people can do realistic stuff using a computer.

pixelranger
03-27-2003, 03:54 AM
New lip sync test up HERE (ftp://tph.nailed.org/users/Suffering3.avi) (375 kb DivX avi).

Angel: thanks for the kind words. I'm not sure if I agree on the "...best since..."-part, but otherwise I really appreciate it.

pengo: Thanks. I put alot of attention and work in the eye area. It's what makes it believable. Twitching on the nose bridge as he blinks and subtle eyelid movement as his eyeballs rotate and the pupils expanding and contracting as he blinks/looks at brighter/darker areas. These are some of the things to keep in mind when animating faces.

korn_kid: Thanks, hehe. Let them live in ignorance. That'll give them a greater experience when wathcing effect-heavy shots in films.

Capt Lightwave
03-27-2003, 06:13 AM
This is soooooo cool, I just miss a glimpse of a tounge between his teeth right at the end of h e l l...

Maybe you could make him squint a bit on "legendary" instead.
Maybe make him toss his head bacwards if you still decide to keep it as it is to strengthen his attitude...

Great work, André.

pixelranger
03-28-2003, 06:13 AM
Capt LW: thanks. Have fixed the tounge. Its working out better now.

Here's a better view of the textures

pixelranger
03-28-2003, 07:20 AM
And here's a profile shot. enjoy

http://www.storedyret.com/iB_html/uploads/post-5-61742-test_movie.jpg

bolo
03-28-2003, 12:41 PM
this is so awesome !!!! can you please tell me if you modeled this poly by poly or box modeling ?? also, when you were modeling did you have front and side pics in backdrops ?

Matt
03-28-2003, 02:23 PM
tutorial, tutorial!!!!!

:D

pixelranger
03-28-2003, 04:38 PM
Wow, thanks.

Yes, I spent an hour or so finding good reference pictures (which wasn't easy), the cropped two of them to fit in front and left view (the perspective didn't match exactly, but it was good enough. Here are the ones I used in my viewports:

http://www.storedyret.com/iB_html/uploads/post-5-90826-referanse.jpg

Lately, I have been getting used to modelling like UserDelta (the SpinShift-method), which is box modelling, really. Because then you block out the shape and work your way down to the details by adding geometry (smooth shifting) and spinning quads. This method has the benefit that the proportions gets right from the beginning and it is easy to keep the polycount down, or at least not unnessecarily high. This method is also useful when you dont have reference material in the Modeler Backdrop.

But this time I had good reference material so I could start with details/small areas allready in the beginning and work my way out without beeing afraid of the model turning out like a Picasso painting.

So I started with the eye working on half the face, much like the method Stuart Aitkin uses in his tutorial, all the way glimpsing over to the other reference images.

All the textures are painted. Here are some of them (resized).

http://www.rayk.be/pxlranger/pinhead/head color_T.jpg

http://www.rayk.be/pxlranger/pinhead/eye bump_T.jpg

http://www.rayk.be/pxlranger/pinhead/mouth bump_T.jpg

http://www.rayk.be/pxlranger/pinhead/spikes_lines_T.jpg

pixelranger
03-28-2003, 04:51 PM
Several people have requested my settings for the pins' material, so here they are:

Basic Tab:

color: 146 143 132
lum: 0 %
diffuse: 69%

Spec: 150 % (texture: turbulence 77%)
Gloss: 6 % (texture: turbulence 37,5%)
Refl: 1 %

Trans: 0%
Refr: 0%
Translucency: 0%

Advanced Tab:

all settings are default, although I should have turned up the color highlights to about 30-40%

Env. Tab

Refl. Options: Spherical image map: kitchen_probe.hdr (that explains why we still get reflections even though refl.'s only at 1%)
Reflection blurring: 100%

And that's that :)

Mr_Q
03-28-2003, 05:45 PM
Yah man yah....this is amazing work. I have not seen characters look this good in a long time!

Reminds me of why I started 3D....who wants to deal with props and actors! :cool:

hrgiger
03-28-2003, 05:56 PM
Pixel,

Are you using unwrap for the head template UV? Are you getting piniching or stetching (like the side of the nose) and what are you doing about it? I don't notice any in your pics but it's a problem I have and was just wondering what some good solutions were for it.

pixelranger
03-28-2003, 06:28 PM
No, I don't use unwrap.

I make a morph called "junk.map". Then I take the head and rotate it 90 degrees in the Y axis so that it's facing +x.

Then I go over the mesh, manually wrapping out ears and applying SMOOTH .

Then I make a new UV map. And since the head is facing +x, the seam will be on the back of his head. And since I "smoothed" the model (in the morph) there won't be much overlapping of polygons.

Then I choose "none" from the texture pull down (at the down right corner) and go back to your morph. Now delete it. The UV maps won't be affected from this.

Now choose your newly made UV map again, show it in a viewport and start dragging the points so that you get a spacing between points that relatively equals your model. Take a screenshot or use UV Imaginator and go into Photoshop or your favourite paint package.

hrgiger
03-28-2003, 07:19 PM
Somebody else was talking about using smooth to flatten out a morph for a UV. Can you share some insight into that? Do you just unfold the ears and use smooth for the rest of the head? I've tried manually unwrapping the head but it's a pain but the smoothing method sounds much easier.

MarkJTaylor
03-28-2003, 08:23 PM
Excuse me while I pick my jaw up off the keyboard....

:eek:

This is without a doubt, one of the most impressive works I have ever seen. I'm dumbfounded and honestly without words.

Phenomenal work, that is more deserving than any compliment or praise that I can offer. Just know that you have blown me back, and developed a fan.

Stunning.

Angel
03-29-2003, 12:52 AM
Great great great!!!

Couple Millions thanks for sharing settings and maps....this is what the community should be....

Will it be abusing asking for settings on the eyes :D ???

_____
angel

pixelranger
03-29-2003, 06:27 AM
hrgiger: I use smooth with a low strength (e.g. 0,5) and high iterations (e.g. 20 -30). Then small wrinkles and corners will be smoothed out so that it's easy to work further on the mesh in the uv viewport, such as fixing the mess that resembles ears and pulling the insides of the eyes/mouth into the middle of the "hole". Just make sure nothing overlaps.

(Remember to do this in a morph 'cause if you do it with the base object you have to undo it afterwards and then you undo the uv map creation too :rolleyes: . I don't think you're stupid, but I just say it because I've done it a couple of times myself)

But be carefull with the smoothing! Don't overdo it, cause yes, the uv viewport will be easier to use as a template for painting, but it also skewes the polygons and make their size more even. And then you can end up with areas on your model getting a stretched texture, while some places will have a "denser" texture.

After you have pasted the screenshot in your paint program resize the width of the image to 200 %. Then you won't get stretched pixels when you apply it as a cylindrical or, in this case, UV map.

The settings for the eyes:

I model the eyes like this (one ball for the white, the iris and the pupil and one ball for the cornea):

http://www.rayk.be/pxlranger/eye.jpg

The settings for the inner eyeball:

color: planar UV color map
luminosity 0%
diffuse 100%

specularity: 42%
glossiness: 85%
reflection: 0%

the rest is at 0%

The settings for the cornea:

color: 151 151 151
luminosity: 0%
diffuse: 100%

Specularity: 100%
Glossiness: 100%
Reflection: 1% (2 might work also)

Transparency: 100%
Refraction: 1,3% (I haven't raytrced refractions in the images you have seen here, so its not nessecary)
Translucency: 100%

Use a hdr map in the evironment tab --> reflection options.

flashover
03-31-2003, 12:36 PM
Very nice work, give me more!!!!

Cozfx
04-01-2003, 02:05 PM
I always thought Data from Star trek kinda looked like pinhead or pinhead was an early prototype of Data before he was finished :D

Anyway, Top Notch work Pixel Ranger, TOP NOTCH!!!

-Coz

"If you cross us Kirstie, We'll tear your soul APART!!!" -pinhead

Hervé
04-02-2003, 05:10 AM
it is impossible to say anything else than , "ok I'll stop wasting my time with LW", jeez, how can you be soooo goood . Simply Terrific !!!

Cheers twice ! Hervé

Steffen
04-03-2003, 05:34 AM
Just great!

loebek
04-07-2003, 04:13 AM
the eyes mostly impress me.
any close ups?

Intuition
04-07-2003, 11:25 AM
Holy moley,
I haven't checked this post fer a bit.

P.R., This is great. The skin maps are even better then last I checked.

It is interesting how much better 3d can look when you just go in a do the details.

It is really great to see how the utilities Newtek has givin us to make these things can be used and even more rewarding when they are utilized in this manner.

Great work.

VWTornado
04-08-2003, 03:18 PM
amazing model you got there. :eek:

Eydan
04-10-2003, 09:22 AM
Thanks for sharing your works!!