PDA

View Full Version : fPrime

Tony3d
04-02-2004, 06:56 AM
Would it be wise to invest in Fprime on a 500mhz g4 tower, or would that be a waste of time. I will be upgrading to a dual g5 when the new machines are announced, but that could a while.

Darth Mole
04-02-2004, 07:56 AM
I think it depends a little bit on what sort of work you do.

Tony3d
04-02-2004, 08:02 AM
I do a lot of print work, some animation, almost all photorealistic. You can see my work at www.digitalcanvas3d.com. Check out the audio renderings.

calico
04-02-2004, 08:11 AM
Tony, I'm positive that 'waste of time' can not be put together with fPrime.
Is it expensive - yes.
Is it worth it - that's debatable.
I, personally, find it very useful and worth the money.
I'm running Dual 500 (which would be the same setup as your in terms of fPrime)

Darth Mole
04-02-2004, 08:36 AM
I think you'd find it really useful for texturing. Instead of tweak values, hit F9, tweak values again... you can just have FPrime open and you can even zoom right in on an object in the scene, rather than having to reposition the camera or anything.

I recently did a render of a room, and it was a completely different (and better) way of working for me - also, I could get those textures just bang on, with the realtime feedback.

wacom
04-02-2004, 08:45 AM
Lets put it this way- I didn't even think of doing radiosity outputs on most of my scenes above 720x480 until I received FPrime.

That however would be overlooking the fact of how nice it makes to "setup" everything from lights to textures etc. and that part of it is hard to really appreciate until you sit down and use it for yourself.

Maybe if someone whas nice enough, and had a machine that is similar to yours, you could give them an few "optimized" FPrime scenes to test render times on?

BTW- my machine is faster than the one you own- but the screens in the FPrime preview window looked good at even 5-8 passes (which this shot was taken after about 2min of letting it sit). MC- HDRI etc etc.

Tony3d
04-02-2004, 08:48 AM
How fast is you machine?

wacom
04-02-2004, 09:01 AM
roughly 2.2 times faster than yours, but I only have 768MB RAM. For larger scenes RAM is important. Do you know who the user LightWolf is? Anyway he does quite of bit of work in europe and has a very old dual P3 700 setup (FPrime uses only one thread thus far). He has talked about being supprised at the good results he has gotten from FPrime even on his dated system. There have also been some people running underpowered laptops that have gotten decent results.

1.02 has added a feature that will help you as well. It sounds simple, but the "pause" preview will help with your system situation while you make large changes to a scene.

I wish there was a demo for you to try it out...you'd make your mind up in a heart beat.;)

BTW I posted that shot to show that even I, someone with almost zip ablitly in creating "realistic" 3D images was able to get a sword modeled, and halfway textured in roughly 1 hour (very fast for me). I didn't even have a reference image. If I knew what I was doing I can only imagine!

Tony3d
04-02-2004, 09:08 AM
I like the sword very much. I went to the fprime website and looked at the demos. It does look like a real time saver. I wish Apple would get off the iPod kick and pay attention to there pro market again. I won't buy my G5 till the new one's are released, and I don't think that will be for a while yet.