PDA

View Full Version : HDR Images from LW ->AE 6 Pro

Triple G
04-02-2004, 12:04 AM
I was playing around with Fprime the other night, and I tried saving out some HDR formats (.cin, .flx, Tiff Log-LUV or whatever it's called...and a few others) and bringing them into AE6 Pro.

Well, I can't seem to figure out if it's a Lightwave problem, an FPrime problem, or an AE problem....but any HDR image generated from LW that I bring into AE shows up as pure noise. Other formats like .tga, .png, etc. work fine on all counts. I seem to remember hearing about a problem like this back with AE5 or 5.5, but I thought that it got fixed.

Has anyone had similar experiences, and more importantly....how the heck can I fix/get around this so that I can get HDR images into AE for post production?

blabberlicious
04-02-2004, 12:14 AM
I have the same problem with the .rla/.rlf format - although I usually export via Image Plugin.

I read somewhere that there was going to be more/better afx intergration in general- but that was some time ago.

I really hope their file formats/exporters get an overhaul for LW8.

Beamtracer
04-02-2004, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by blabberlicious
I read somewhere that there was going to be more/better afx intergration in general- but that was some time ago. I think that may have been a feature request.

The best workflow I can recommend is 16bpc image files from Lightwave's PSD export plug-in.

Full HDR? On Newtek's Lightwave 8 feature list is an FLX to Photoshop plug-in. What would be much more useful is an FLX to After Effects plug-in. It would get converted back to 16bpc in AE anyway, but it's good to work off the original HDR source files.

While I'm on my Lightwave + After Effects integration rant, why doesn't anyone want to be able to import motion data from Lightwave into After Effects?

I posted a feature request over a year ago. You can see it here:
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10739
Add your comment if you think you would like to have this feature.

blabberlicious
04-02-2004, 12:59 AM
After seeing how Cinema4D brilliantly combines with AFX - I guess NT have a lot of catching up to do.

But I guess we knew that already ;-)

Triple G
04-02-2004, 06:24 AM
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll see if I can work something out tonight when I get home.