PDA

View Full Version : Advice; how to shoot in "black?"

Johnny
04-01-2004, 01:02 PM
I am trying to develop a sequence in which my main object (a chrome object) appears to be in a black space, but still reflects its environment.

the idea I'm trying out with marginal success is to wrap this object in a black non-reflective, non-diffuse, non-specular sphere whose polys are flipped so that you can see into the sphere, and at the object, but the object's environment appears black..yet still reflects the rest of the room it's in.

I'm not getting reflections in the chrome, so maybe my method is ill-conceived?

Any suggestions?

thank you!

Johnny

mattclary
04-01-2004, 01:37 PM
Put an image in the reflection channel.

If it's in balck space that IS ist's environment. I assume you mean you want it to be in black space but you want it to actually have reflections of something other than black space.

Johnny
04-01-2004, 10:52 PM
after some fiddling and experimentation, I'm using a "shield," a cylinder with top and bottom open.
my object gets that light (overhead to begin with) and reflects part of the room...

not perfect, but seriously good enough to work with.

J

Red_Oddity
04-02-2004, 01:48 AM
Or use a sphere and set the render attributes to unseen by Camera and turn of all shadowing options on that object.

This gives you a environment for reflection and it doesn't cast shadows and is not seen by the camera either.

Johnny
04-02-2004, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by Red_Oddity
Or use a sphere and set the render attributes to unseen by Camera and turn of all shadowing options on that object.

that's what I neglected to do! Tried the sphere method, and I knew I'd forgotten something...

thanks!

Johnny
04-02-2004, 10:30 AM
what actually got me what I was looking for was to make the sphere unseen by rays, not by camera, though the latter seemed instinctively correct..

my object (a sink and faucet scene I've been working on) reflects the entire room, but appears to be in black space!

exactly what I envisioned..

J