PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading 6.5 to 7.5

enggass
04-01-2004, 12:30 PM
Hello everyone.
Been away from LW for a while, and am anxious to return. I just recieved my 7.5/RealViz upgrade. I also just recently upgraded to Panther... I will be upgrading from version 6.5. Currently I have 6.5 running fine in Panther(did some minor testing). Couple questions- What do I need to do with the License Key file? Anything? I guess what I'm asking is what will I need to do or should I expect to happen upon installing 7.5 - besides patching it to 7.5c... Do I need to re-register with NT?
Also, It looks like ATI has stopped making the 9000 PRO Mac Edition Vid Card. Do I have any options besides the 9800 PRO Mac Edition? I know my Stock ATI card(16Mb) is not going to cut it anymore.
Any tips will be greatly appreciated.
I searched the boards and couldn't find anything, but sorry if this has been gone over before.
Thanks in advance,
Steve

Barnaby Gunning
04-01-2004, 01:46 PM
not an answer but another question. I also just got my 7.5 duo/realviz upgrade. Am already running 7.5 since I upgraded from 7.0. For some reason I was kind of expecting a new dongle... the old one being [I thought] not a 'duo' dongle and being somewhat smashed up after a couple of years sticking out of the back of my powerbook.

Will my old dongle be compatible with v8.0 when it [eventually] turns up?

mkiii
04-01-2004, 04:22 PM
Engass: Yes. You should register your upgrade with Newtek, who will then issue a license key for it. It may be exactly the same number that you already have for your copy of 6.5, but you still need to register to let them know you own a 7.5 license, to qualify for any free gifts, and to register that you are entitled to a copy of 8 when it ships.

Barnaby: no you don't need a new dongle for 8 unless your old one is broken, or you need to change it for PC/Mac swappability/compatibility.

I think the Duo in the name refers to the fact that you get copies of Mac & PC license. If you need a duo dongle, and haven't bought an inclusive deal, you have to pay for it.

Barnaby Gunning
04-02-2004, 12:30 AM
thanks mkiii

fortunately the dongle does actually still work [just] I have glued it into a usb extension lead so that it is a bit more protected. Guess I'll be able to use the PC lightwave disc as a coaster and add the mac to make a matching set when 8 arrives :-)

anyone know how much it costs to get a new dongle?

mkiii
04-02-2004, 06:13 AM
Your local reseller should have a price. In the UK it costs 45.83 including VAT

Barnaby Gunning
04-02-2004, 06:19 AM
probably worth the effort then

enggass
04-02-2004, 07:00 AM
Thanks for the registration advice Mkiii!
Steve

mkiii
04-02-2004, 11:22 AM
No problem.

Don't forget that you can (in normal circumstances ) get a pretty swift reply via email on stuff like this if you email Newtek directly.

I don't know where you guys are in the world, but the Newtek Europe guys are pretty helpful & the US office has a freephone number.