PDA

View Full Version : Where are the animators and modellers?

EchoStation3TA
04-01-2004, 12:22 PM
In going through Lightwave galleries and some profiles, I noticed a lot of modelers and animators are in countires other than the US and Canada.

I'm in the process of mapping out where I might be able to get support (paid outsourcing) if a project I'm starting comes to fruition. This isn't a give me work for nothing thread, but I am interested in knowing what talent is around me and how far.

I'm in Rochester, NY and wondered where everyone else in Canada or the States were.

Also, if you have a website with examples of your work, I'd love to see it.

I'm making an animated children's film and at some point, we'll need help.

Thanks,

Rich

KPS
04-01-2004, 01:43 PM
I'm in Fort Lauderdale, FL
I have some work online, and will be loading more soon.

www.kineticpixelsstudio.com:)

modent
04-01-2004, 01:49 PM
I'm in New Brunswick, NJ USA.

Maybe this should be a poll?

Darth Mole
04-01-2004, 02:35 PM
I'm in the UK. Which is probably for the best 'cos I'm rubbish.

NigelH
04-01-2004, 02:42 PM
New York City.

Website needs a major update/overhaul, but:

http://www.nigelanimation.com/home.html

You should probably have posted this in the Community section. If only to get a wider response.

eblu
04-01-2004, 02:43 PM
pa/nj

no current website

EchoStation3TA
04-01-2004, 02:59 PM
This is great, thanks so far!

One of the reasons I put it here is because of the Mac side of things. Since I use Macs as does my best friend who is also working on this, it alleviates file problems.

Rich

NigelH
04-01-2004, 03:25 PM
I wouldn't worry TOO much about that. I've worked with several PC based clients and transferred files back and forth without much trouble.

It's when you get into the area of third party plug-ins that things can get tricky.

themaxx
04-01-2004, 03:45 PM
i'm in OK/US.

http://themaxx.com/art/

Triple G
04-01-2004, 11:49 PM
I'm in Danbury, CT. You can check out my site at www.greggdomain.com. :)

Beamtracer
04-02-2004, 12:45 AM
These days it's possible to be anywhere on the planet, and work for a client anywhere else on the planet.

Fast internet is distance independent!

grahamtuck
04-02-2004, 05:40 AM
Hi,
I am in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, and have done work for clients in NY, Toronto...no problem...

www.iciclegraphics.com

Good luck on your project.

jasonwestmas
04-02-2004, 11:29 AM
Hello,

I love to model and texture in any app. in any platform and in any style. I'm always willing to learn new things reguardless of superiority. Of course, the Mac does rule! I hope the Mac gets more support soon for 3D.

498cc
04-02-2004, 12:20 PM
Howdy cow-pokes,

In New York City too, but I'm not nearly as experienced as the rest of you (yet).

A simple directory is what I have, showing earlier work created in Ray Dream Studio (circa '97), Inspire 3D and LightWave 6. Any Battlestar Galactica fans might wanna check out my Viper image in the Ray Dream directory, I'm quite proud of that one. Unfinished motorcycle project in the Inspire/Lightwave folder.

http://members.aol.com/jimmy1138/

This Biz card for a friend was the latest LW project.

Jimmy R

tingham
04-03-2004, 10:43 PM
I'm in Cary, NC

TSpyrison
04-03-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by tingham
I'm in Cary, NC

No kidding?

I live off of Buck Jones Road...

tingham
04-03-2004, 11:00 PM
We should hook up sometime at Caribou or something stupid like that. I was just saying in irc on #LW3D irc.enterthegame.com that it would be cool if someone local were using lightwave - as I've learned a good many apps totally solo and it's just not fun like it used to be. :)

TSpyrison
04-04-2004, 09:41 AM
Ever goto the Cary Ale house? :)

toby
04-04-2004, 07:38 PM
I'm in Berkeley Ca -

http://tobygaines.com

Love to see NY but I don't think it'll happen this year -

vee
04-04-2004, 08:17 PM
Toby…

I sure could go for a big fat chicken dog (I'm a Top Dog fanatic) right about now. I was in Bezerkly for a long time (BHS… a little louder!)
Although my site doesn't show it

www.victorhall.com

I shoot nearly 400 covers for all the west coast Hip-Hoppers. I'm in NY now.
Love it out here, but I'll always be a Berkeley Boy!

Scazzino
04-06-2004, 08:57 AM
Just North of Boston, MA
-MikeS

DreamLight 3D Gallery (http://DreamLight.com/3d)

riki
04-06-2004, 07:26 PM
I'm living in the lovely red light district of Kings Cross, Sydney. Would also like to see NY one of these days but don't think it's ever going to happen.

toby
04-07-2004, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by vee
Toby…

I sure could go for a big fat chicken dog (I'm a Top Dog fanatic) right about now. I was in Bezerkly for a long time (BHS… a little louder!)
Although my site doesn't show it

Great looking stuff vee

Bird dog or Lemon chicken for me -

BHS '83!

yazan
04-07-2004, 08:31 AM
Amman-Jordan
webite (http://www.null.jo)
new demo video in the animation sec. here's the direct link
demo (http://www.null.jo/NullStudios8.mov)

Zarathustra
04-09-2004, 08:16 AM
Yo, representin' Philly over 'ere!

I guess now we'll see where all the Mac guys are.

mlinde
04-09-2004, 08:31 AM
Ok, I'll give in. I'm in Denver, Colorado

EchoStation3TA
04-09-2004, 11:55 AM
Phew, Mike. I was beginning to think I'd have to twist your arm.

I'm going to catalog these and maybe even make a map. I think it would be cool to see where everyone is. Perhaps have the dot link to your webpages and such.

Rich

TexasRiguez
04-09-2004, 01:57 PM
I'm 15 mins from Newteks door in S.A.Texas, With a company called NIMA.
4 Mac G4's all altered with Sonnet Encore/ST accelerators. 2 seats of Lightwave.
and one of five stereoscopic movie theaters. (<100 seats)

casegrfx
04-09-2004, 02:48 PM
I'm in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Email your contact info at [email protected] I'll send you a DVD of sample work.

tim.bowman
04-13-2004, 01:39 PM
Hi -- I'm in Sleepy Hollow, NY. You can have a peek at my reel at netherlogic.com (http://netherlogic.com/). It's freshly updated! (Which is kind of a switch for me...)

ray_tracer
04-13-2004, 03:49 PM
Yazan,

I dig your site and the showcased work. Very cool stuff! (....just as an aside, the first syllable of the "Animation" rollover voice isn't there in IE on my system, at least - all I get is "Nimation")

yazan
04-14-2004, 11:32 AM
hahaha ya you're right, well actually its Mation. we set it that way to sort of give a wierd feeling. Anyway, I have our new demo up, did you take a look at that? what did you think?

Zarathustra
04-14-2004, 11:53 AM
I live the site design, yazan!

2 comments:

1) The demo could be shorter
2) Give all your popup windows names. The window I watched your demo in was "untitled document".

MacDaddyKash
04-14-2004, 06:28 PM
Manassas, Va over here.

yazan
04-15-2004, 12:18 AM
thanks good catch. Will try to do that asap.
Yazan

yazan
04-15-2004, 12:20 AM
sorry but I had to ask. In what terms is it long? I had comments about the intro being long. Its wierd, 3d people say its long but clients are always saying why so fast? Its something we struggle with everytime, which finding the middle ground to please our selves and our clients as well. What do you think can be cut out, or where the fat is? thanks for your time by the way.
yazan

Triple G
04-15-2004, 06:45 AM
@Yazan,

I thought the reel was a little long, but not terribly so. I think it was more that the pacing was a little slow, but that's ok. I would definitely lose the screen grab shots where you're doodling around in Layout...they serve no real purpose, and feel like filler. Some of the web site stuff at the end was cool, but some was a little confusing to tell what I was looking at, due to the combination of it scrolling too fast, being zoomed in too close, and/or cutting too fast.

My other main suggestion would be to lose that spinning logo thing that's over your entire animation....it's really distracting, and draws attention away from where you want it to be focused. And one more thing....less compression! You've got some really nice looking work...all that compression coupled with the tiny pixel size is killing it!

Zarathustra
04-15-2004, 08:00 AM
There are different concerns for a reel if it's for soliciting work form potential clients or trying to land a job. For the latter you might include the shots from Layout, but not the former. Clients (usually) have no idea how we do what we do and Layout shots will only confuse them.

It's an old pitfall of animators to hang on a shot too long or make movements too slow because after all the time you spend modeling and what not you want to show off. Better to have a quicker pacing, like traditional shooting, and shorter clips for a demo - leave them wanting more.

yazan
04-15-2004, 09:19 AM
thanks for the input, what a different way to look at it. I can see your points exactly had my customers been in the states. Mentallity here is a bit differnt hense I tried to stick to what clients here in ME like to see. However I agree with you it is a little longer than what I want but I also get clients who keep telling me, we need to see this, and that... and often want us to model, animate and render something they have in mind before we even get the job. How do you deal with that sort of client? especially architectural. (i.e I had a client who does structural work and HAD to see a bridge...) with the quality I need to get out of my systems, I don't have enough time and resources extra to be put aside for him. Any ideas? Will see about the ball thingy, maybe I've seen it too many times to be distracted. I'll try without and see how it feels, and I will get a better quality one on the web soon. Thanks for the comments and constructive Crit.
Yazan

Zarathustra
04-15-2004, 09:34 AM
... and often want us to model, animate and render something they have in mind before we even get the job. How do you deal with that sort of client?

Yeah, that's tough. I've done spec work before in hopes of landing a job. I guess it depends on how badly you need the job. I'm not sure what that has to do with your demo, though.

I guess you're saying that your clients are better educated about the 3D process then in the states? I still don't get why you have to show them how you animate a character in Layout. The final animation should be enough.

yazan
04-15-2004, 11:29 AM
Oh I wish they were educated 5% as much as clients in the states. They actually like seeing things they don't understand. A shallow thing I guess.. if they don't understand it then its worth paying money... showing them layout I thought would give them a hint at the working progress to make them feel good about them selves, but I totally agree with you in terms of concept of thething.
Yazan

Holger
06-22-2004, 05:59 PM
I'm from Norway. :)

See some of my (old) work at http://datawareub.com/magisk/flash. It is a flash-website in norwegian, but just choose '3D', you will get the hang of it.

Zarathustra
06-22-2004, 07:17 PM
I like hyp3.jpg

Ryhnio
06-23-2004, 12:26 AM
http://www.angelfire.com/retro/relitz/pa.mov

Check it out- its really quick- hopefully angelfire won't have an aneurism from traffic-

lol

Ryan Relitz
Goodrich, MI
[email protected]

Johnny
06-23-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Holger
EDIT: Hmm, it appears that the 3D-gallery is not functioning properly. I got to check that out tomorrow.

it works now, fwiw!

J

unc1e meat
06-24-2004, 12:15 PM
i'm the only Nebraskan here???

marlo.steed
06-24-2004, 02:10 PM
An Albertan - is that some alien race?

Noclar7
06-24-2004, 02:31 PM
Dont worry fellow canuck, I'm a newbie

(The New Brunswick Newfies)

Dave Davies
06-24-2004, 02:59 PM
I'm on the west coast of Canada - Saltspring Island, BC

Dave

stib
06-24-2004, 10:38 PM
I'm in sunny</irony> Melbourne

Z_Render_8
06-28-2004, 10:45 PM
Hanging on Long Island, just getting back into 3d. Quit nearly for 15 months like a jackass. Website??? Nope, no website yet. Well Like my mama said,"Stupid is and stupid does":D

lwtone
07-09-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by EchoStation3TA
[I'm in Rochester, NY and wondered where everyone else in Canada or the States were.

Actually, I'm right in your neck o' the woods... Syracuse, NY (although I work in Ithaca :cool: )

My website's linked below.

-Tone

harlan
07-09-2004, 10:15 PM
I'm in Los Angeles, Vegas, and San Francisco - just depends on the day of the week. ;)

lwtone
07-10-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by harlan
I'm in Los Angeles, Vegas, and San Francisco - just depends on the day of the week. ;)

Harlan, your purple avatar... ....so beautiful.... so.... horrifying! :eek:

-Tone

PS: Three Days is a great song.

dlubell
07-15-2004, 08:32 AM
im here in upstate n.y.

http://www.davidlubellanimation.com/

david
lubell

harlan
07-15-2004, 10:15 AM
hehehe...lwtone!!!

Great call on the song...it's nice to see some people still like good music these days.

cholo
07-15-2004, 03:41 PM
Mexico City here, and since it's the third world down here we work for peanuts ;) J/K
Anyhow, sorry, no website, always too much work and no time to make one.