PDA

View Full Version : Dual monitors and LW7.5c

Parallax
03-31-2004, 09:27 PM
I have 2 Samsung synchmaster LCD monitors set at 1600x1200, a Quadro4 900XGL card, running nVidia nView under WindowsXP Pro. When I have Modeler or Layout on the secondary monitor, the pull down menus do not work but all other commands seem to function OK. Any thoughts or suggestions? Is this a LW problem?

bloontz
03-31-2004, 09:42 PM
I have the same setup except I have CRT monitors. You need to set nView to Horizontal Span for it to work on both monitors. When it's setup correctly the Windows Display panel will show one double sized monitor with the secondary monitor dimmed.

mlinde
03-31-2004, 09:52 PM
I was tempted to say a pro-Mac bit about dual monitors, but instead I'm saying "thanks for the tip" -- I do some troubleshooting for Windows systems a bit, and that's a nice bit about nView. Thanks!

bloontz
03-31-2004, 09:58 PM
Hey, I hear ya. Macs handle dual monitors way better.

Parallax
04-01-2004, 09:42 AM
Thanks to all.....the change to horizonal span worked....

PCs rock!!!

bloontz
04-01-2004, 10:24 AM
There are a few other settings that you will porbably want to look into. There is one that prevents windows from spanning both monitors, without that set windows will maximize across both monitors which is rarely desirable. There is also a setting to prevent dialogs from being centered between the monitors which is an annoyance. That setting doesn't always work for me though. Another setting limits the taskbar to a single monitor.

Parallax
04-01-2004, 10:58 AM
Thanks again....all changes made....like the new setup even better than dual screen mode......finding a neat spanning wallpaper is a challenge, but the ops work great.....

erich
04-01-2004, 03:01 PM
I am using two monitors as well but with Dualview mode. It works great, but I was wondering if there was an advantage to using the horizontal span mode instead.

Thanks,
E.

KillMe
04-01-2004, 03:10 PM
same prob but on a geforce ti 4400 - do i have horizontal span mode or is that a quadro only thing? :confused:

Beamtracer
04-01-2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Parallax
PCs rock!!! Hehehe!!! :p

Parallax
04-01-2004, 04:52 PM
The advantage at this early stage for me is that I can have Modeler on one monitor and its pop up windows and Layout on the other with its sub-windows....I am a newbie so whether this will be a real boon remains to be seen....for me I like being able to have a tutorial on one screen and LW on the other to practice.

If you are not in Horiz. Span, the drop down menus on the secondary monitor do not work (I was in Dual View mode where it would not work....works in Span mode)

nView is nVidia software....you might want to go to their web site and check if a version of nView supports your GeForce card. The latest version (Under ForceWare) of nView3.5 states some GeForce compatability under Windows2000/XP....best to research there yourself....I am new to this myself.

nixx
04-02-2004, 01:47 AM
While we are on the subject, and I hope this is not OT -

Does anyone know for sure if a GeForceFX with 2 VGA and a TV-out can drive all 3 displays (2 computer monitors, one TV) at the same time ? I think I read somewhere that it couldn't, and I need to make sure.
The idea is to have a twin monitor desktop, and an external video monitor to view fullscreen video on.

thanks

nick

Red_Oddity
04-02-2004, 02:13 AM
Not sure, in 'theory' nVidia boards can support up to 16 monitors, but if it holds up in the real world?...any one tested or found a board like this yet?

Anyway, give it a try i'd say, should be possible, depends on the way the outputs are handled on the board i guess...

And as for Macs handling dual monitors better?...hmmm.not so sure about that, it just works...just because you don't know how something works on MS Windows doesn't mean it's crap.

The nVidia drivers and nView give a plethora of options, you can even give every program different settings...I suggest you do this for LW..

My settings are like followed:

nView Mode : Horizontal Span
OpenGL settings : Lightwave
nView settings anything you like but, make sure add Modeler and Layout in the Custom Application settings (Applications tab on the nView properties panel) and disable nView for both programs (this prevents popup centering and the lot)
Also make sure enable Child Window spanning across displays (Windows tab on the nView properties panel)

mlinde
04-02-2004, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Red_Oddity
And as for Macs handling dual monitors better?...hmmm.not so sure about that, it just works...just because you don't know how something works on MS Windows doesn't mean it's crap. Nobody said it was crap, just that it was better on the Mac. In fact, I didn't even say that, it was bloontz, who gave the support in the first place. And, on that topic, if "it just works" isn't that better? I mean, who wants to jump through hoops when you can just plug it in and go?

And, off that topic, it sounds like the nVidia card allows you to have two "separate" displays off the same card, if that's what it's doing, what is the second display useful for? I understand spanning (we call it extended desktop) and mirroring (I call it useless) but what is "Dualview?"

thx

akota
04-02-2004, 09:49 AM
Hi,

I noticed someone mentioned that they didn't think being able to span an app across both displays would be useful, so they suggested checking the setting that prevents this. I am using a Quadro 4 980XGL with 21" SGI monitors. I run the Horizontal Span mode, but with different settings for different apps. For LW I run Layout on the left monitor and Modeler on the right. For After Effects and Premiere I run the app full across both displays. This gives me room to have my video preview, bin and fx palletes open along the top half of the display and a long timeline stretched along the bottom half. It really helps for getting in close on the timeline, while still being able to see quite a bit forward and backward along the timeline. And with the new 56.64 drivers I get overlay surface on BOTH monitors, which is really nice in Premiere for being able to place my capture and edit window on the secondary (right) display.

As a side note, if anyone has been interested in the Canopus DVStorm2 I will tell you the updated plugins for LW, AE, PS and Premiere are fantastic. With the click of a button I can see my LW previews on my bigscreen plasma, way cool! It's only frame previews for LW and PS (obviously PS is static) but AE can get RAM previews and Premiere will render from the timeline to the plasma in realtime.

It depends on your workflow, what apps you use, etc. There's defnitely merits to both settings.

Just an FYI :D

Jason

Gabe
04-02-2004, 09:53 AM
I find the main advantage of dual display mode (vs. horizontal span) is that I can set each monitor up at a different resolution. My main monitor is a nice 19 inch Sony trinitron but my second monitor is a cheapy 17 inch model. Since they are different sizes it's very good to be able to set them at different resolutions (and refresh rates. The cheapy model doesn't go as high). With one monitor at 1280x960 and the other at 1152x864 I get a very nice match.

TOXIC-3D
04-04-2004, 09:13 PM
Lets see if any of you have an answere for whats ailling me...

I just put a new system together and one of the things that I was planning on was the formation of a Lightwave Usergroup... I had planned on having my duel monitor setup switched over to my Main monitor & TV in Clone mode for presentations ect. But I have found that for some reason or another that Lightwave looks like crap on my TV. At first I thought it was the video card and then I found through a little expirementing that my other programs such as "Photoshop, Illustrator, Micro'Word" as well as Programs like my "DVD software, Media Player, Quicktime, hell even my calculator"... They all appear on my TV with pretty decent quality. All except for Lightwave.

I just noticed that I haven't said what it is I'm seeing poorly... Its the "Text"... The "TEXT" in every portion of Lightwave, as well as the "CENTER LINES" that are on the grid within the viewports of Layout & Modeller... Anything that is basically made up of a straight Black Line... They all appear as though they are surrounded by a thin "White" outline. Like a Dropshadow used in Photoshop.

Here's a discription of my system incase it leads anyone in a direction of salvation...

Pentium 4 3-Ghz on an Intel Pentium Pro board
2 Ggs of PC3200 DDR400 ram
NVidia GeForce FX 5950 Ultra video card with 256 Mgs
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 sound card

And just so you know... I don't have an HDTV... Its a regular Glass Stereo Monitor which I have been using perfectly with my previous system that sported a 32 Mg G3Force card thats about 3 or 4 years old... And my Laptop does it just as good with an intergrated 4 mgs video setup... The tv is a 36" Stereo Monitor with an S-Video imput with a max res of 1024 x 768

Like I said, all my programs look great, all except for Lightwave...

:cool:

Gabe
04-04-2004, 10:26 PM
Toxic,
Well, I'd blame the low-resolution of the TV except that you say your other programs work fine with it. Here's one possible thought though, from what I understand the entire Lightwave interface is drawn with OpenGL, not just the 3D objects. Maybe somehow it's the OpenGL that isn't translating very well to the TV set. Try fiddling with your OpenGL setting to see if you can get better results.

Red_Oddity
04-06-2004, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by mlinde
Nobody said it was crap, just that it was better on the Mac. In fact, I didn't even say that, it was bloontz, who gave the support in the first place. And, on that topic, if "it just works" isn't that better? I mean, who wants to jump through hoops when you can just plug it in and go?

And, off that topic, it sounds like the nVidia card allows you to have two "separate" displays off the same card, if that's what it's doing, what is the second display useful for? I understand spanning (we call it extended desktop) and mirroring (I call it useless) but what is "Dualview?"

thx

Well, here's a direct copy from the nVidia info on nView modes:

Select your preferred nView display modes here. nView display modes can be one of the following.

Single Display. Only one of your connected displays is used.

Clone. Both displays in the display pair show images of the same desktop.

Horizontal Span. Both displays in the display pair behave as one wide virtual desktop. The width of each display is half the width of the total virtual desktop width.

Vertical Span. Both displays in the display pair behave as one tall virtual desktop. The height of each display is half the height of the total virtual desktop height.

Dualview Both displays in the display pair behave as one virtual desktop. Unlike Horizontal or Vertical Spanning mode, Dualview treats each display as a separate device. This means that the task bar will not be stretched across displays and 3D applications are not accelerated as efficiently if the application spans displays.

I find the nVidia drivers pretty decent as it allows you to basically let every other package behave the way you want them too...even LW...and LW usually is a naggin ****** when it comes to dual monitor setups (it eithers goes bonkers or it has severe performance loss...but not with these drivers...)

anyway...not sure what the pay off could be for using Dualview...especially if you consider it's possible (wow!) to minimise your taskbar...or even hide it...simple reg hack)

mlinde
04-06-2004, 03:17 PM
Thanks. I guess I'm not sure what good Dualview does, even after reading that. All the other stuff I can do on a Mac (and can find uses for), but does anybody use Dualview? If so, what makes it better than spanning? Thanks in advance...

Gabe
04-06-2004, 10:45 PM
Thanks. I guess I'm not sure what good Dualview does, even after reading that. All the other stuff I can do on a Mac (and can find uses for), but does anybody use Dualview? If so, what makes it better than spanning? Thanks in advance...
Read my first post in the thread. Dual view is the way to go if your two monitors are not the same size. Spanning mode makes you choose the same resolution for both monitors but dual view lets you set them seperately. If both my monitors were the same size there probably would be no benefit to using dual view over spanning mode.

Red_Oddity
04-07-2004, 02:35 AM
Ah...that explains it...otherwise it would have been a pretty useless feature (cloning with performance loss? why?)

Never figured that out...and it was really handy nVidia mentioned this inthe manuals...oh wait..silly me...they didn't...