PDA

View Full Version : FPrime Updated (version 1.02)

Beamtracer
03-31-2004, 07:57 PM
Worley Labs (http://www.worley.com/) has been busy working on a new version of FPrime, that fixes some previous bugs on the Mac.

List of bugs fixed:
http://www.worley.com/fprime_update.html

Everyone should update their earlier versions of FPrime.

pdrake
03-31-2004, 08:57 PM
wowwowwowwowwowwowwowwowwowwowwowwowwowwowwowwowwo wwowwowwowwowwowwowwowwowwowwowwow

just wow. alot faster now. works (always did) better.

toby
03-31-2004, 10:32 PM
awesome! Thanks Beam!

back after I install & play

Oddgit
03-31-2004, 11:29 PM
thanks beam what would we ever do with out ya :)

Darth Mole
04-01-2004, 12:19 AM
I'm amazed at the amount of progress Steve seems to make in only a few days. Can't wait for LW8 to come out so he can get on with creating FPrime 2.0!

strongarm27
04-01-2004, 12:27 AM
Much faster on my duel g5. wow!

strongarm27

Beamtracer
04-01-2004, 05:23 AM
I told you I had total confidence in Steve Worley to fix any issues and bugs really quickly. I mean, this guy works fast!

Johnny
04-01-2004, 10:56 AM
the latest posting of fPrime still makes LW quit on my G5.

I don't see this happening to anyone else; I've read about other issues, but at least you all are getting it to run.

Any thoughts on what up with fPrime for me?

thanks

J

blabberlicious
04-01-2004, 11:01 AM
Hurrah! I can render sequences without crashing!

Great enhancements - nice to be able to toggle it on and off.

THIS is what good software development should be about.

Not staring into the VOID that is LW8

Ge4-ce
04-01-2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Johnny
the latest posting of fPrime still makes LW quit on my G5.

I don't see this happening to anyone else; I've read about other issues, but at least you all are getting it to run.

Any thoughts on what up with fPrime for me?

thanks

J

Maybe playing with your LW and FPrime preferences would help? Did you try uninstalling them and re-adding the FPrime plugin? Did you delete the prefs? Not that you have to, but you can give it a try..

When does it crash? Still in rendermode?

I noticed in version 1.01 that when I render something in the background, it did not crash at all! I mean when hiding LW. Maybe it has something to do with OpenGL.

But that does not fix you problem. Send in a crash report to Steve. It can always help..

Johnny
04-01-2004, 02:59 PM
thanks, Ge4-ce...that was about right. trashing the LW prefs, disabling the hub, manually adding fPrime..all that stuff got me the window telling the machine code and asking for license number..

Now, I'm just waiting to hear back from worley for my license key..

I ought to be rockin' this evening...

thanks!

J

Edit: just got the key for my dongle; experimenting with fPrime now.

Johnny
04-01-2004, 03:56 PM
Anyone else getting kernel panics when they pull up the little fPrime render window?

I'm using the latest version of fPrime. I don't always get a kernel panic, but about half the time.

J

noiseboy
04-01-2004, 04:24 PM
Johnny you are running the same system as me if you are using your G5, Fprime is very stable for me. Kernel panics can be a symptom of bad memory, do you have third party memory if so try pulling it out, go back to what was with the machine perhaps.The other thing to do repair file permissions with the disk utility.

Johnny
04-01-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by noiseboy
Johnny you are running the same system as me if you are using your G5, Fprime is very stable for me. Kernel panics can be a symptom of bad memory, do you have third party memory if so try pulling it out, go back to what was with the machine perhaps.The other thing to do repair file permissions with the disk utility.

That's worth a try, but would you say that doing 3 days' straight of Screamernet rendering on this same scene would precipitate bad RAM faults, too?

I'll probably try pulling the 3rd Party RAM, tho..just to know for certain.

J

noiseboy
04-01-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Johnny
... would you say that doing 3 days' straight of Screamernet rendering on this same scene would precipitate bad RAM faults, too?
J

You would have thought so, I've occasionally checked memory usage through the Activity Monitor app and been surprised that LW hasn't been using a huge chunk of memory. I've not had a kernel panic on my G5 yet (5 months) so I guess I've been lucky.

Johnny
04-01-2004, 10:31 PM
Worley support came back with the suggestion of updating the driver for my G5's video card, the 9800.

I did so, and fPrime has been rock solid since..I've been using it for about 40 mins or so without issue.

Hope this helps someone else...

J

noiseboy
04-01-2004, 11:51 PM
for the record Johnny, which flavour of OS X are you running?

Johnny
04-02-2004, 12:06 AM
I'm running 10.3.3 on all of my Macs.

J

Beamtracer
04-02-2004, 05:31 PM
Verson 1.02 of FPrime has solved the stability problem for me. It doesn't "unexpectedly quit" any more.

I'm still not noticing much of this "2.5d" motion blur. In fact, I can't see it at all.

I created a scene where the camera moves around really fast. Then I cranked up the motion blur amount to some ridiculous amount, but I'm still not getting much of a motion blur effect.

strongarm27
04-02-2004, 08:22 PM
the motion blur seemed to work for me but
I was moving a object around in a circle not the
camera. Cranked the blur up to 200 in the blur
panel and turned on medium antialiasing.
Looked much better than the same frame
rendered with lightwave alone. At five passes
with fprime It was noticeably smoother. I left
the stock settings in the main window at 100.
It doesn't show up in the preview window only
in render mode. I think it says that in the info
on the web site

strongarm27

Beamtracer
04-02-2004, 09:37 PM
Thanks for your response, Strongarm.

I think I've worked it out now. I had motion blur switched on in Worley's FPrime master plug-in, but didn't have Lightwave's motion blur switched on.

When I turned both on it seemed do happen.

Motion blur is the big selling point for me. It should save a lot of render time. Radiosity is less of an attaction, as I'm skeptical that radiosity is usable for animations due to its long render times and noise levels.