PDA

View Full Version : Silhouette backdrops for modelling human characters?

RyanRaner
03-17-2003, 08:21 PM
Up until now my characters have either been mechanical or a natural being thats just fictional. I'd like to start out modelling a human character now, but I was wondering if anyone may have come across any silhouettes to use as backdrops which would just give me something to compare against for body proportion, so I can avoid getting finishing it and having to go back and alter the model afterwards just to get a good shape.

I checked a few tutorial sites for side\left images of a human form in the normal pose for character modelling but found nothing.

The reason I ask about silhouette is it would prevent me from accidently or intentionally copying any fine details to the character, or else I will learn nothing. I figure something as simple as a silhouette for a guide isn't cheating. :)

hrgiger
03-18-2003, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by RyanRaner

The reason I ask about silhouette is it would prevent me from accidently or intentionally copying any fine details to the character, or else I will learn nothing. I figure something as simple as a silhouette for a guide isn't cheating. :)

On the contrary, I think you'll learn very little going off of a silhouette. If you don't have an excellent knowledge or at least sense of anatomy, you're models will be mediocre at best. It's always good to have excellent anatomic reference.

Try this link: http://www.fineart.sk/

DigiLusionist
03-18-2003, 10:02 PM
Michaelangelo and Da Vinci used live models for reference in their artwork. Their artwork wasn't mediocre...

DigiLusionist
03-18-2003, 10:12 PM
Since they did have models in front of them as reference, their stuff was excellent.

So, while the thought process of using a silhouette is a good start, as hr pointed out, nothing beats modeling what you see not what you think you see.

RyanRaner
03-18-2003, 11:41 PM
I had the idea because I figured they would help me keep basic proportion and let me be more creative filling in the blanks but the way you guys put it makes sense to me so Ill try it that way, thanks.:)