PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave to Neverwinter Nights MDL plugin

rabidgoalie
03-31-2004, 12:34 PM
Hello, I am posting this thread concerning Alex Morano's NWN MDL Import/Export plugin suite. Alex is no longer developing this plug-in suite and unfortunately, my programming skills are not sufficient to make real progress on this. I do have some abilities as a programmer, but this is out of my league.

My question is this: Are there any developers out there that would be willing to give this project a shot? I have created a website ( http://www.rabidgoalie.com ) that can be used as a focal point in this plugins development. I love Lightwave and NWN, so I would really love to use the former with the latter. I will, of course, contribute in any way possible, but as I said my skills are not up to this task at this time.

moubctez
04-02-2004, 02:06 AM
If you have the documentation describing NWN MDL object (?) format, I can help with the plug-in. :)

I would rather not do reverse-engineering. ;)

rabidgoalie
04-02-2004, 04:35 PM
Hehe, thank you very much.

Actually, a nice guy named Torlack figured out the format. I don't know how he did this, and I don't want to. :D

Here is a link to his site where that information is:

http://www.torlack.com/index.html?topics=nwndata_binmdl

I am going to try to start working on this plugin, but the learning curve for me is high, because I have never created/edited any kind of plugin before. But I do intend to lend a hand, so please don't think I will leave everything to you, or anyone else who helps with this. :)

The link to the code is at my website. I don't offer a download of the original code, because I figure that Mr. Morano would like a little recognition for his work. :) I do intend to offer the updated code on my website though.

Tom Speed
04-18-2004, 08:25 AM
Hi,

Have you emailed Alex and asked if he would kindly supply the source to his plugin?

Tom

rabidgoalie
04-29-2004, 01:49 AM
I am sorry for not posting this sooner. I have been working on some things and I have been lazy in checking my email.

You can obtain the source code at www.onarom.com (http://www.onarom.com/Plugins/nwnmdl.asp).

I had pretty much given up hope that anyone was interested in doing this, so I was planning on trying to rewrite the Biowares export scripts in LScript. I don't know how much success I would have at that, but there are working MaxScript files to tear apart to make the LScript version with. I was going to contact Biowares to see if that would be OK, then I was going to give it a go. I was not really in any rush, because nobody seemed interested in this plug-in (developing it or using it). :(

Thanks for taking interest in this though. moubctez was going to work on this, but he must have decided that being the only one working on it would not be very much fun. :D

As I stated before, I am a C++ programmer, but this is over my head. I write dialog based apps, not plug-ins or 3D apps. I only thought I stood a slim chance at success with rewriting the Biowares scripts is because it is all spelled out for me already. :)

amorano
05-02-2004, 11:26 AM
Just in case you guys need some heads up help, shoot me mail.

I really didn't plan on supporting the code I wrote, as it was a project from almost two years back already (damn that time flew), but seeing any interest just let me know and I'll help where I can.

you can mail me at:

[email protected]

If you guys let me know of anything new and cool in the LW8 SDK I may be wiulling to take a look and lend a hand, we aren't getting the upgrade any time soon, so I have no chance to see any new stuff per se.