PDA

View Full Version : Where is LW8??????

durden
03-31-2004, 11:23 AM
I am getting really pissed waiting months and months for vaporware and IOU's. I paid for it when am I going to get it?

Chuck
03-31-2004, 12:49 PM
Hi, Mark!

I note that you ordered the upgrade plus REALVIZ Interactive Studio on March 11, 2004, and that we shipped your REALVIZ package on that same day. I trust you've received the REALVIZ package in good order, but if not please let us know.

Did you receive the shipping address confirmation email that we sent out last week? If not, please contact our customer services staff to advise if their have been changes to your shipping information.

We are working hard to ship LightWave [8] just as soon as we can; we certainly understand you are anxious to receive it, and please rest assured your wait will not be much longer.

Tony3d
03-31-2004, 01:28 PM
Chuck if not much longer then why not post a ship date? I have heard not much longer for nearly two weeks now!

hunter
03-31-2004, 02:22 PM
I've been waiting for almost a year. So Waaaa!

durden
03-31-2004, 03:45 PM
First thank you for responding...I appreciate it and thank you, I got it all. Everything is fine, just waiting for Lw8.

A bone to pick, just because I recently ordered it doesn't mean I have not been waiting and watching patiently since last year. I have been waiting for the release since at least Siggraph last year. I have not ordered it earlier because I am a mac user and the early deals did not appeal to me until UVedit pro(thank you).
I am sorry that I am so anxious to get the program and I do really appreciate the effort your company is putting into the program... but it is hard to sit back after waiting since August of news of this future program to come out, seeing all the cool videos, then hearing it is delayed and coming soon and not being able to get anything.... It is hard to weather, to say the least. However, I do appreciate your response.

newagetitan
03-31-2004, 06:01 PM
durden & chuck,

OK, I don't care who you are...dat dare was funny. :D
Chuck...wipe that grin off your face. :p

MadMax
03-31-2004, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by durden
A bone to pick, just because I recently ordered it doesn't mean I have not been waiting and watching patiently since last year.

Hmmm.....

I'd say that hardly compares to people who ac tually shelled out 1500.00 in upgrades almost a year ago based soley on a MUST BUY NOW from Newtek stating the special offer closed at the end of June.

Only to find that the offer got extended until the product ships.

I could have really used that 1500.00 for other things. Such is life.

Getting cranky after only buying a couple of weeks ago doesn't make a lot of sense.

durden
04-01-2004, 08:04 AM
sheesh...your absolutely right MadMax, if I have a bone to pick you should especially...your right two weeks is not a long time to wait (especially compared to you sorry...) I wish that was all we had to wait since this program was announced. I should of spent more time composing my original post ...this is what I meant to say

correction to original post:

As a Lightwave 3d user, I am getting really pissed waiting since last August, when LW 8 was first demonstrated, for LW 8 to come out. The release date slipped back in December, that's 3 months ago, software deals have extended past there time, videos have been posted, letters of assurance have been sent that this program exists and is coming out soon.....so where is it????

hunter
04-01-2004, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by MadMax
Hmmm.....

I'd say that hardly compares to people who ac tually shelled out 1500.00 in upgrades almost a year ago based soley on a MUST BUY NOW from Newtek stating the special offer closed at the end of June.

Only to find that the offer got extended until the product ships.

I could have really used that 1500.00 for other things. Such is life.

Getting cranky after only buying a couple of weeks ago doesn't make a lot of sense.

I agree.. Add to that I believed them when they said it would end in June so I also missed out on the free DFX. They should've included everyone who got in in time for the LW8 upgrade, just as they did with UV Edit Pro.

Tony3d
04-01-2004, 08:34 AM
Durden I fully agree with you. I have been waiting for Lightwave since it was first announced almost a year ago, even though I only ordered it 2 weeks ago. Newtek has simply used people's money for a year and has paid no interest. Sure they give you some software that they get a great deal on because there versions that are on there way out and the software vendor can dump all the old CD's plus get exposure. It probably costs Newtek next to nothing. In the mean time we get excuse after excuse about the ship date. Chuck keeps saying to be patiant, it's right around the corner. Well Chuck if it's so close then POST A SHIP DATE!!!!!!!! THE ONLY REASON I CAN SEE FOR NOT POSTING IS THE SHIP DATE IS NOT THAT CLOSE! I get tired of hearing THE CHECKS IN THE MAIL, I get enough of that from my clients! Look, the software is either ready to ship or not. Just tell us. The damage is already done! I would never pre-order another thing from Newtek, and anyone that does is nut's, I don't care what the deal is. I have never heard of a company using people's funds for that period of time. I quess the way they can justify charging your card before it actually ships is by sending the bonus software now. Most companies won't charge your card till something ships. So who is this great bonus software really benefitting? Shameful business practice. I'm sorry but that's how I feel!

Chuck
04-01-2004, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by hunter
I agree.. Add to that I believed them when they said it would end in June so I also missed out on the free DFX. They should've included everyone who got in in time for the LW8 upgrade, just as they did with UV Edit Pro.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here - in the first part of your comment it sounds like you are saying you bought too late to get the DFX+ offer - but in the second it sounds like you bought too early and are eligible for a free 8 upgrade but missed the DFX+. If the first is true then since the DFX+ offer remained available and we have provided it to every purchaser unless they actually refused it, I don't see how you could have missed it; if the latter, then whether or not we extended the original end date is irrelevant to why you missed the offer as is whether or not you believed the offer would end on the stated date - they cannot be a cause for your not getting DFX+, as you imply.

It is also the case that our agreement with eyeon is not at all similar to the recent bonus we were able to provide all customers eligible for LightWave [8] due to an existing purchase. DFX+ is free to the end user but not to NewTek and has physical costs, and the terms of our agreement with eyeon forbade us to provide the package to sales made previous to the beginning of the offer.

Chuck
04-01-2004, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Tony3d
Durden I fully agree with you. I have been waiting for Lightwave since it was first announced almost a year ago, even though I only ordered it 2 weeks ago. Newtek has simply used people's money for a year and has paid no interest. Sure they give you some software that they get a great deal on because there versions that are on there way out and the software vendor can dump all the old CD's plus get exposure. It probably costs Newtek next to nothing. In the mean time we get excuse after excuse about the ship date. Chuck keeps saying to be patiant, it's right around the corner. Well Chuck if it's so close then POST A SHIP DATE!!!!!!!! THE ONLY REASON I CAN SEE FOR NOT POSTING IS THE SHIP DATE IS NOT THAT CLOSE! I get tired of hearing THE CHECKS IN THE MAIL, I get enough of that from my clients! Look, the software is either ready to ship or not. Just tell us. The damage is already done! I would never pre-order another thing from Newtek, and anyone that does is nut's, I don't care what the deal is. I have never heard of a company using people's funds for that period of time. I quess the way they can justify charging your card before it actually ships is by sending the bonus software now. Most companies won't charge your card till something ships. So who is this great bonus software really benefitting? Shameful business practice. I'm sorry but that's how I feel!

The facts of the matter are that everyone who was charged received product worth far in excess of the amount paid. Value add offers such as the DFX+ and REALVIZ bundles are not free to the vendor. The majority of purchases have also been of full seats and of upgrades to [7.5], not pre-orders of [8]. Our only point is offering a pre-order of [8] to folks who already owned [7.5] was to allow them to purchase DFX+ or REALVIZ Interactive Studio. There was no other reason to offer it, and on the customer's end there is no other reason to purchase than if you wanted and could use these products, and we do not feel that it is unreasonable to expect that our good intentions shoud be recognized and acknowledged rather than spin-doctored and used against us. Those who pre-ordered [8] received either $1500 in product or $1785 in product, and are guaranteed to receive the $495 LightWave 3D [8] upgrade when it ships. Please consider that the one thing you may be proving here by attempting to paint the case as having received nothing and NewTek as abusive for making the offer is the adage that no good deed goes unpunished.

The fact that we are not willing to provide an estimate at this stage says nothing more or less about the state of things than that we do not wish to make another estimate.

MadMax
04-01-2004, 09:39 AM
Chuck,

you had so much to quote there that was decent that I couldn't trim that and still be fair.

I agree completely. I get frustrated with waiting, but I have certainly gotten more frustrated with all the infantile whining over people who have had to wait for more than 2 weeks.

I paid 1500.00 in upgrades almost a year ago. I got 3 full installs for 7.5 (I had been bad about keeping up with upgrades) and 3 full DFX's.

About the only comment I make on the subject is too point out that hey, I spent 1500.00 I could have spent elsewhere and I'm not flooding the forum with whining.

When it gets here it gets here. Circumstances have kind of annoyed me a bit, and it would have been nice if I had known the offer would get extended by a year. But hey, caca occurs.

Note to whiners, chill the hell out. damn.
You'll get it when you get it.

hunter
04-01-2004, 10:19 AM
Chuck,
I agree I'm not entitled to all the free stuff. Hell, it wouldn't even exist without your generousity. But, the fact is I ordered when I received the first e-mail annoucing if you buy your upgrade to 7.5 now you'll get LW8 when it ships but hurry this offer is going to end soon. I belived that. So I ordered immediately, there by screwing myself out of the DFX offer. I would've waited and hung on to my cash if I had known the upgrade offer was gonig to last almost a full year longer than was implied in that initial e-mail. So forgive me if a feel slighted but I orderd mine in April of last year and, yes, I have been enjoying LW 7.5 but I can do everything I need to with 6.5. I didn't NEED that upgrade I just didn't want to miss out on LW 8. The long and short of it is could've really used that cash for other things a year ago and the fact that I fell for your offer ends soon ploy is what gets to me. Not that you made it but that I was gullible enough to fall for it.
Lets get 8 out ASAP.
Thanks for your time.

Chuck
04-01-2004, 01:09 PM
When we announced that we were working on LW[8] we also announced that from that point until LW[8] shipped, purchasers of [7.5] would receive LW[8] free. We made it clear that the offer held until [8] shipped, and I do not recall any of our marketing material saying anything other than just strictly "ends when 8 ships." We estimated that [8] would ship in December, but also did our best, with one notable lapse, to make sure that people understood this was an estimate, and shipping could take longer. All of our communications on this particular offer were to reassure that purchasing [7.5] was a safe investment through the time when 8.0 ships, and that was expressed as being at the very least no earlier than the end of the year, eight months away from our initial announcements of the offer.

Proj
04-01-2004, 01:29 PM
Well actually I have been waiting 6 months, or is it longer I forget. I got the lightwave 7.5 with 8 upgrade.
I know this, Newtek will deliver and when they do it will very cool indeed, i would expect nothing less.
In the mean time I a very happy with 7.5, very pleased to receive UV edit pro, and I wont even mention FPrime. Its only a matter of time..
I would rather Newtek deliver the kickass product that we all deserve rather than deliver it uncomplete. I want the the best if that has cost me a few months waiting for a upgrade,well that cant be that bad..can it?

chilled lightwave convert
:)

PS I didnt get the E-Mail either

ted
04-01-2004, 01:30 PM
Last time I checked, didn't "Months and Months" equal AT LEAST 4 months, not a few weeks???:p

Johnny9ball
04-01-2004, 09:43 PM
If I every order software that has a release date I never hold my breath waiting for it. Software has always been the same, when a release date is announced you should realistically add 6-12 months to its release date you will be less dissapointed when it ships then. It is so common for release dates on software to get backed up. Im and suprized at the ammount of people that really expect it to come out on or near its estimated initial release date.

gregsduncan
04-02-2004, 01:05 AM
Chuck - I bought about the same time as hunter and all the advertisements then through resellers in the UK were for a SUMMER SPECIAL - buy now - offer ends (end of July I believe). YES it was a very good price (best was from onevideo.net) and we were told then that 8 would be out 2003 Q4. Then this "Summer Special" got extended and then new offers (DFX+ etc) came out. The original offer wording on all the resellers websites was the same and implied that you should buy now because once this offer was over, Lightwave would return to the original price. It's this type of advertising which is annoying. We could have waited and purchased the DFX budle offer but the wording of the "Summer Special" - Buy NOW - (before it's too late) made customers think this was the offer which they needed to go for.

I'm not complaining here about having to wait for 8 (or LWait as someone else put it). I've had 7.5 to use and am happy, but looking forward to the new tools in 8)

It's the wording to make customers think they had to purchase before they needed to. Like many others who have posted to different forums, I won't be rushing for any future Newtek "time-limited" offers.

hdesbois
04-02-2004, 05:26 AM
Hi,
This is my first post about LW8, though I ordered the "summer special" a long time ago (from Newtek Europe through a french reseller). I'm satisfied with DFX+ (I did actually saved money with this deal), but rather impatient, of course, to get the upgrade.
But I do not understand what is the point with UV edit pro. Is it a new bonus for upgrading? If so, am I elligible?
I could sure use it.
HD

gregsduncan
04-02-2004, 05:37 AM
The "Summer Special" I got wasn't DFX. It was the reduced price but also came with the Todd Grimes Character Animation DVDs. The DFX deal wasn't around in those days...

You should have got an e-mail from your supplier about how to download UV Edit Pro and licence key. If not, contact them or Newtek.

Tony3d
04-02-2004, 06:00 AM
"The fact that we are not willing to provide an estimate at this stage says nothing more or less about the state of things than that we do not wish to make another estimate". This tells me your not close. Just more spin...

Bog
04-02-2004, 06:38 AM
Hm. I'm anxious to get my hands on L[8] (yes, feel free to pronounce that "Late" ;) ), but I see very little point in yelling about it.

Even to my dim and bleary knowledge of programming, I can see what an incredibly complex piece of equipment LightWave is. Frankly, I'd rather that the NewTek guys took as long as they needed to removing the tie-downs and pulling out those red "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT" pins. I'd like to receive LightWave 8.0, not 8.Uh-Oh.

It's an even numbered release. Remember LightWave 6. Do not rush NewTek. ;)

Yeah, I could do with the money. Yeah. NewTek have had my dosh since last Summer. So what? I make my living from LightWave. It seems fair to me that I should help the guys at NewTek make theirs. Sort of a symbiotic thing.

Anyhoooooo.... get out of the kitchen, it'll be ready when it's ready ;)

Tony3d
04-02-2004, 06:49 AM
Look, i'm just asking for a ship date. I don't think that after a year that's to much to ask. I don't like the spin. If it's so close then tell me why they won't commit to a realease date? If it's that close they must have discussed one. I really don't think that's an unreasonable request. I'm not saying they need to say it's next week. Just when. Next week, next month, next year? I can tell you this.....next time....I will think twice.

bluehand
04-02-2004, 07:04 AM
hey gregsduncan, u bought the upgrade to 7.5, and it came with the Todd Grimes Character DVDs? I wish I would've seen that offer out there, I just dropped $300 on those DVDs to help me on a project here @ work (they wouldn't open up their purse to cover). Where was that @ and for how much?

I'm not going to whine about not having the upgrade, heck I used to use Strata (years ago) - I'm just happy to be using a product that does what u tell it to do. A date would be nice, I'm sure once they burn the goldmaster, they'll let us all know. I just purchased my upgrade a few months ago, so I can't complain too much. (Chuck, to be specific, it was February, no need to look it up and then post for all to see, in fact, please refrain from using your access to private corporate records for posting info on my purchases with NewTek .)

* I'm wanting to use the Rounder plug thats built in LW8, but can't decide if I should buy it for current project, or wait for LW8. Of course, with my luck, as soon as I purchase Rounder, they'll announce 8 is ready for download...
I may just have to do my part to help, I'll just go buy the plugin to help karma along. :p

gregsduncan
04-02-2004, 07:12 AM
Hi bluehand, yep - got the DVDs with 7.5. Probably wouldn't help u much - bought them from the UK at onevideo.net - this place was the cheapest I could find too - anywhere!

I'm with you too about Chuck releasing purchase info of Newtek's clients. Personally I think it was rude to do that.

I would w848 (wait for eight) b4 you buy plug-ins. NAB is very soon. If Newtek go to the show with no v8 I don't think it will look good.

I'm happy with owning Lightwave too and want to see Newtek do well but there's a lot of unhappy users about.

Bog
04-02-2004, 07:40 AM
I'm happy with owning Lightwave too and want to see Newtek do well but there's a lot of unhappy users about.

Maybe they're waiting for the box images to render in Monte Carlo radiosity ;)

Chuck
04-02-2004, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by bluehand
(Chuck, to be specific, it was February, no need to look it up and then post for all to see, in fact, please refrain from using your access to private corporate records for posting info on my purchases with NewTek .)

If the customer broaches a service issue in public, I and other NewTek staff have routinely followed up on that issue in public. Apologies, there was no intent to be rude, and we're certainly willing to review this practice.