PDA

View Full Version : Lighting techniques

dranos
03-31-2004, 09:42 AM
I have very little experience with proper lighting in Lightwave. Most of my projects involve models on a stage with 2 or 3 lights. However my latest project requires outdoor lighting. I just can't get it right. I keep getting hard, dark shadows and inconsistent overall lighting. The scene involves a tropical beach so I need vibrancy. I've tried Skytracer's Sun option but the shadows are still wrong.
Any advice on outdoor lighting?

paulrus
03-31-2004, 09:48 AM
Here's your answer:

http://www.wordware.com/lightwave/

Buy Lightwave Lighting ASAP. It's the best resource you'll find for lighting with Lightwave.

Paul

mlinde
03-31-2004, 09:57 AM
On the beach the sand is very reflective, and enhances the light. Here are a couple of suggestions to try:

Utilize a spot or point light with the setting really high (like 500%) from the "sun" location, and set up some basic radiosity settings to enable more realistic light-bounce. If the radiosity is too time consuming you might also try creating a light below the sand object that fakes the radiosity of the sand. Just make sure it's sort of sand-colored. Think of the sand as a secondary light source. In addition, the water will also reflect some light so watch for that as well, although the water light is probably a basic white-light color not tinted like the sand would be.