PDA

View Full Version : Rotation about arbitrary axis

juzliqan
03-31-2004, 08:56 AM
I have a simple scene - just a single object that I need to rotate about a number of different axes. Just one axis at a time, each one for a different animation of the object rotating to show all sides.

Trouble is, I can't see a simple way of setting up a rotation about an arbitrary axis.

I've tried working out what the final rotation position should be, then keyframing this at frame n. But the tweened animation wobbles all over the shop.

I've tried adding a null, and rotating it so its y axis points along the axis I want rotation around, and then parenting the object to that null. But this immediately rotates the object to point along the axis too - which I don't want.

Is there is a simple rigging approach that will enable me to do this quickly and easily?

Regards,

Julian
:confused:

Zafar Iqbal
03-31-2004, 09:08 AM
Hmm.. im not sure what you are trying to do here, but maybe this could help:

When you parent the null to the object, then make sure Parent In Place is ON. That way your object will remain at the exact the same place as it was before parenting.

Or..

When animating... try only making keyframes on those (axis) channels that you need - turn off everyting else in the Keframe panel.

... perhaps you should take a screenshot of your model, and draw some arrows on it to illustrate how you want it to move. That would be of alot help to guide you better.

juzliqan
03-31-2004, 02:23 PM
I'll first try what you suggest (parent in place - I always wondered what this was for...).

If no joy, I'll post a piccie,

Julian

juzliqan
04-02-2004, 01:35 AM
That was exactly what I needed - parent in place. I won't forget that one in a hurry!

Thanks!

Julian
:)

Zafar Iqbal
04-02-2004, 01:54 AM
You're welcome.. glad it worked out :)