PDA

View Full Version : Textures

randysolo
03-31-2004, 06:42 AM
Ok, I'm a little confused with textures. Do you always need to use a UV texture map to have textures show up in a rendering? I added a wood image to a surface but it didn't render. Is there something I need to do to get the texture to render? I'll post images for this if needed. I just wanted to see if there was a quick solution. Maybe there's something simple that I need to do and I'm not seeing it. I'm learning slowly about UV maps but for the time being I just wanted to add an image to a surface. Is this possible?

thanks,

randysolo

eblu
03-31-2004, 07:29 AM
randysolo,
I suspect that you have failed to save the surface after you applied the texture to it.

if you look at the surface in Lightwave's surface editor, does it still point to your texture? if no, then you have probably skipped a step while making the texture.

its ok tho, this step is counter-intuitive, and it gets Everybody at first.

once you have a surface you are happy with, you have to save it, and surfaces are not saved in .lws files (lightwave scenes) they are saved to .lwo files (lightwave Objects). So to do this, you must save the Object and not the scene. Its a good example of one of Lightwave's serious workflow issues, but it won't kill you.

heres how you save the object from inside of Lightwave:

select the menu:
file:save:save all objects.

you will only find this menu in the file menu in the toolbar, and Not in the file menu in the application menu.

if you do not do this, your surfaces will be gone when you load the scene again.

randysolo
03-31-2004, 09:41 AM
eblu,

thanks! I accidentally tripped over (oops! nose-bleed) the UV map designation. That worked. I also tried what you mentioned and that worked also. For now, I can control the texture easier that the UVmap. Maybe it will be the other way around once I learn more.

thanks for your help!!

randysolo

eblu
03-31-2004, 11:10 AM
randy,
these 2 things are not mutually exclusive. if you want to apply a texture to your model you must then save it. uv or otherwise. in modeller this is a natural process, in Lightwave it is counter-intuitive, but neccessary.

randysolo
03-31-2004, 11:21 AM
...and as usual I spoke too soon. The texture DIDN'T show up on my model in Layout. I'm not sure what's going on. You can see the opengl texture but it doesn't render.

any clues,

thanks for your help,

randysolo

randysolo
03-31-2004, 11:58 AM
... did I mention this is starting to become frustrating?

jdavidbakr
03-31-2004, 01:35 PM
Is there an alpha channel on your texture? Go to the image editor and select no alpha (or something, I'm not in front of LW right now), usually that's what bites me. I think LW does alphas backwards from other apps (i.e. white is transparent). Also, someone had a similar problem either on this board or in the LW list, and it was because they had the texture on the diffuse channel instead of the color channel. Make sure it's in the color channel (some other apps you have to put it in the diffuse).

randysolo
03-31-2004, 02:14 PM
Nope! That didn't help either. I tried making a simple box, making a new texture, and applying the image to the texture then loading it into the same scene where the texture was not rendering. The box renders ok. But the other object doesnt' render. I'm confused.

thanks for your help though,

randysolo

eblu
03-31-2004, 02:58 PM
sounds like some sort of user-error.

can you bring up the image editor and select your image?
then in the alpha pulldown menu select "disabled"

what happens when you render then?