PDA

View Full Version : Who here worked on Seaquest DSV, Babylon 5 or Startrek?

Ade
03-30-2004, 11:15 PM
Anyone here work on any of these shows?

mkiii
03-31-2004, 01:16 AM
They have been hiding in the shadows... biding their time & watching mankind.

Watching & learning. Waiting for the time when man is once again in the ascendant, and ready for them.

In other words, I dunno. There used to be heaps of them a couple of years ago, but most of em seemed to take themselves away to somewhere quiet after F.I. finished with Roughnecks.

js33
03-31-2004, 03:09 AM
I worked with a guy that went to FI to work on Troopers but haven't kept in touch with him since he went out there.

As for the other shows. Well John Gross used to post alot on the newsgroups but dropped off there a few years ago. He heads up EdenFX last I heard. Sadly the kid that played on Seaquest committed suicide last November.

'SeaQuest DSV' actor Brandis dead at 27 (http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/TV/11/21/obit.brandis.ap/)

Other people like Dave Jerrard write LW books and his wife "Cel Shader" Jennifer Hachigian posts here quite a bit as well as "SplineGod" Larry Shultz. I just found out on the web that Dave and Jennifer were modelers on the Last Samurai.
http://www.tomcruisefan.com/lastsamurai/archives/000042.php
Scroll down to Visual effects.

Sounds like you just need to do a little googling and you will see who worked on what, when and where they are now.

Cheers,
JS

chriz
03-31-2004, 03:41 PM
We're still here.

cresshead
03-31-2004, 06:21 PM
splinegod worked on max steel, dan dare and rough necks i believe....did some good work too...i bought all the shows on dvd!

steve g

SplineGod
03-31-2004, 09:23 PM
I didnt work on Roughnecks, I was working on Max Steel Season 1 at the same time at Netter. Later I moved over to Dan Dare while it was at Netter then moved to FI to work on the 2nd season of Max Steel and Dan Dare later on. :)
When I was at Netter I worked with a few ppl who had worked on B5. At FI they were still working on Voyager and later Enterprise.

mlinde
03-31-2004, 09:49 PM
Didn't Lee Stranahan work on B5? I seem to recall hearing about that at one of his seminars, or maybe it was his brother or something?

ACLOBO
03-31-2004, 10:10 PM
I am sure it is old news to some, but I was out of the loop for a couple of years. I was wondering what happened to Ron Thorton and Company? I was always a little worried about Foundation Imaging and then I heard that it was no more? Anyone confirm this or have a link with relevent info? Just curious....

-Adrian

Aegis
03-31-2004, 10:18 PM
Ron's now working as a line producer for Gerry Anderson at Pinewood Studios on the new CG version of Captain Scarlet... :)

MediaSig
03-31-2004, 10:21 PM
I can confirm that FI is no more. Someone invited me to a public auction in late '02 - said it was a special effects company. Was I surprised when we got there and found out who it was.

Looked like it was a pretty cool facility at one time.
Ended up buying some NTSC monitors - still have the property ID sticker on them. Could have gottem some other goodies, but didn't have the money at the time.

Greg

SplineGod
03-31-2004, 10:21 PM
I believe Lee and his brother Ken worked on Space above and Beyond. FIs been gone for awhile now.

Jockomo
03-31-2004, 11:07 PM
His brother Ken worked on Seaquest, that was his first (non-freelance) gig when he moved out to LA.

NanoGator
04-01-2004, 12:01 AM
I applied for F-I and was rejected, that count? :D

SplineGod
04-01-2004, 12:08 AM
It beats being hired just in time to be laid off ;)

NanoGator
04-01-2004, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by SplineGod
It beats being hired just in time to be laid off ;)

You sure? Heh.

mlinde
04-01-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by SplineGod
I believe Lee and his brother Ken worked on Space above and Beyond. FIs been gone for awhile now. THAT'S what it was. I couldn't remember, but yeah, the "original" remake of ST:Troopers before Verhoven or anybody, but not bugs & tunnels. That was a fun one too..
Hijacking thread to my favorite 3D FX Tv Shows:

1) Enterprise (for the FX)
2) Babylon 5
3) Starship Troopers: Roughnecks
4) ST: DS9
5) Space: Above and Beyond

I haven't seen more than an ep. or two of the one done by EdenFX (the western/space show from a year or so ago) but I heard great things about it.

mgrusin
04-01-2004, 02:40 PM
I haven't seen more than an ep. or two of the one done by EdenFX (the western/space show from a year or so ago) but I heard great things about it.

You might be thinking of Firefly, which had FX by Zoic (now working on the new Battlestar Galactica I believe).

I also believe Firefly is out on DVD with several unaired episodes, very nice work, have to pick that one up myself.

What was the original topic again? :p

-MG

scott_krehbiel
04-02-2004, 10:24 AM
yeah, Eden is doing basically all the current Trek episodes. I worked there for a while on 3 episodes of Trek and a handful of shots for Hellboy. The only 3d that I did was camera tracking... most of my stuff was compositing work.

Scott

Kurt_Henning
04-02-2004, 11:44 AM
Jeff Scheetz worked at Foundation Imaging for a long time.

He currently runs the DAVE school in Sunny Orlando.

Ron Thornton has been a a guest instructor at the DAVE school and still teaches there, when time permits.

A lot of talent there in o-town.

scott_krehbiel
04-02-2004, 02:48 PM
Orlando is interesting to me. I know that there are lots of schools out there.

Isn't the Ringling animation school there also?

But I wonder about production. How many FX companies are there in Orlando?

I used to think that Orlando was big for television and FX, but then I was convinced that most of that takes place in Hollywood. Anyone have info to share?

thanks
Scott

Aegis
04-02-2004, 03:27 PM
Ron Thornton has been a a guest instructor at the DAVE school and still teaches there, when time permits.

Wow! And I thought I had a tough time commuting - no wonder I never see Ron on Thursdays :D :D :D

Stranahan
04-05-2004, 02:10 PM
I could have some of this wrong, and I'm sure I'm leaving out some people - but the original crews for SeaQuest included

Joe Conti (directed a film for SciFi channel last year)
Tim McHugh (Emmy for Dune last year)
John Gross (co-owner of Digital Muse and EdenFX)
Tony Stutterheim (last I heard, was at Rainbow)
John Parentau (starting something new, I think)
Erik Barba (not sure what he's up to)
Jennifer McKnew (bunch of stuff - worked on Saving Private Ryan, I know)
Ken Stranahan (worked on the VES winning Last Samuarai)

Later, Grant Boucher and some other people came onboard - but I'm fuzzy on some of this....

I never worked on seaQuest

lesterfoster
07-03-2004, 10:15 PM
Glad to hear that all you people are doing so good. Sad to hear about Jonathan Brandis (http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/TV/11/21/obit.brandis.ap/) form SeaQuest DSV. That was one of my fevered shows. and one of the big reasons way I invested into my VideoTOASTER. I hope that some day I well be working with all you guys and girls on some si/fi show or movies.

http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2003/SHOWBIZ/TV/11/21/obit.brandis.ap/story.brandis.seaquest.jpg