PDA

View Full Version : hypervoxel problems in screamernet

Craig_L
03-30-2004, 04:21 PM
Hi,
I am generating flames using particle emitters and hypervoxels.. If I render the scene normally in lightwave, I can stop it partway: and resume the render later, and the scene picks up from where it left off, looking fine..

HOWEVER, rendering the same scene using screamernet, whenever I restart a render from say, frame 50, instead of continuing from where it was, the first frame to be rendered is always just one hypervoxels blob in the corner; then after that it does the scene as normal

This is driving me nuts: anyone else seen this?

cheers,
Craig

Lightwave 7.5 on a Dual G5 (3gig)

Matt
03-31-2004, 02:01 AM
Are you mixing different types of processors? Can you list the machine types.

That's the only problem I can think of. It happens to procedural textures too when network rendering using different processors.

Matt

Craig_L
03-31-2004, 02:13 AM
Hi,
I'm only rendering on the dual G5; using Screamernet for batch rendering.. One thing is clearer though.. I know now why it's called Screamernet..!! GAAAAHAHHHHH!!
:)

Does it matter how many threads are allocated when setting up a scene to render in Screamernet?

Craig

brayne
03-31-2004, 07:51 AM
Craig, I had this problem myself quite a while ago, and I think there were two issues, but I can't remember which one fixed it.

The first was related to random settings for the particle emitter. It was necessary for me to switch off any settings that were generating random particle information, as each ScreamerNet node was generating it's own random locations.

The second was due to problems with the way ScreamerNet was set up. I think it wasn't correctly reading one of the preference files or something like that. Sorry I can't be more specific, but it was a long time ago.

And regarding your threads setting, when using ScreamerNet with OSX, I've found that the fastest render times will be achieved by using a setting of 1 thread. If you have a dual CPU computer, just run 2 copies of screamernet, both with a thread setting of 1. Your thread setting should make absolutely no difference to your Hypervoxel problem.

jdavidbakr
03-31-2004, 08:50 AM
Are you saving your particles (file tab->save motion)? This will save the particles postition for each frame and that will load with the scene. Layout will calculate the particles from the beginning, but LWSN doesn't, creating unpredictable results.

Craig_L
03-31-2004, 09:21 AM
thanks,
i'll give that a try

cheers,
Craig