PDA

View Full Version : More export support

2kilo
03-30-2004, 03:47 PM
Hi, sorry I'm new to Lightwave and have been running a few test when I got totally stumped...

Basically I want to export a test animation of some waves to direct x [or 3ds] to import into DarkBasic Pro. The waves were easily created using a "turbulence" displacement map in the item properties box [the "T" button].

But then comes the problem, how to get this animation outta Lightwave
-Have tried D_Storms plug [no deform appears]
-Have tried Deep Exploration [no deform appears]
-Milkshape appears not to import Lws [only Lwo]

I guess I need to "bake" the objects "displacement map" deform animation into a different mesh per frame..?

Any help would be great, even If anyone can just point me in the right direction..?

There's quite a large hobbyist Game Dev community out there, and Lightwave offers such good value/features for the money that I'm sure with little extra help on the export side it would become the number one package to use [starting at the bottom with the hobbyists may lead up the ladder to the Pro's?]. Cinema 3D and GameSpace are in danger of taking this market over..?

meshmaster
03-31-2004, 12:36 PM
bake... not tried what you are doing, but I do know that you can export each frame as an obj file using one of the plugs from flay.com - can't remember the name of it though... then just convert the obj to .x

gjjackson
03-31-2004, 02:30 PM
Here's a DirectX export

http://www.nuclearglory.com/lw2dx.php

2kilo
04-01-2004, 12:29 AM
thanks for the replies guys.

I tried the plugin, it seems to export the deformed mesh from layout [great] but I have had no luck with exporting the animation of said mesh...[yet]

Later I will dig out GameStudio which had a small extra app that [If I remember] let you import two frames and morph between them, then export the animation to .x or 3ds.