PDA

View Full Version : motion mixer and keyframes-can they mix?

PeteS
03-30-2004, 02:49 PM
i am doing a project for a company that wants a machine that comes to life. it kinda looks like a catapilar monster...thing. anyway, the body has about 25 bones in it. i think i want to use FK to get more control. rather than doing every pose, i figured i'd create an actor of the body bones in motion mixer and make 6-10 pre-posed positions then mix 'em together. however, i may need to twaek some parts throught the animation since it needs to hit specific marks. That being said, can i apply motion mixer then tweak the bones, then go back to the regualr motion mixer after that frame? seems like the keyframe would throw everything off, right?:confused:

thanks in advance.
pete

prospector
03-30-2004, 03:46 PM
That being said, can i apply motion mixer then tweak the bones,
Yes
then go back to the regualr motion mixer after that frame?
No
You never leave motion mixer to come back to it:)

Set your base motion and save it to use at any time later

If you then need to tweak bones, open the graph panel in motion mixer (edit the motion?...it's in there somewhere:) )
edit your channel that you need and your done.
Just keep playing motion mixer:)

I would then save the changes under a new motion name (say your base name of original motion file used, then put an A or B or 1 or 2 after it and save.
If you don't then when you close the program and start another day the changes will be lost.

PeteS
03-30-2004, 06:21 PM
thanks prospector for the help!
i have just a few questions, i'm not all that familair with mm.

If you then need to tweak bones, open the graph panel in motion mixer (edit the motion?...it's in there somewhere )
edit your channel that you need and your done.
1-wouldn't i need to copy the motion first before edit? woulndn't that damage the original motion if not?

I would then save the changes under a new motion name (say your base name of original motion file used, then put an A or B or 1 or 2 after it and save.
2- when you edit the motion, shouldn't it be the first keyframe? i'm not creating a "motion", rather the pose nad mix them together. If i edit it at the current keyframe would it keep the first pose and bend into the second as a saved motion?...hope that makes sense:rolleyes:

thanks again, you a big help:)

prospector
03-30-2004, 08:36 PM
1-wouldn't i need to copy the motion first before edit? woulndn't that damage the original motion if not?
Only on the time line
the original would still be the original

Lets say you made a motion and put it on the timeline and saved it (you DID save it as we all know we should......right?;) )

That is your original and will forever stay that way unless you overwrite it (and that's a BAD thing).
So you have this arm bend that you like and it's saved, now you can go into the graph editor and tweak away, or even make a new motion.

If you WANT that motion on the timeline and use as it is, but then the next time you use it in the same project, it needs to be slightly different, just load the same motion on the new spot on the timeline, and then you can tweak it without changing the first instance that you are using it.
That make sence?
And if you save the modified motion then you now have 2 motions, almost the same but not quite, and save it as a different name but close to the original so you can remember what the difference is between them.

2- when you edit the motion, shouldn't it be the first keyframe?
Nope, once it is on the timeline you can edit as your heart desires.
you DO have to create the motion first, which I always start at frame 0 and run the motion for 1 sec (30 frames) because then you can stretch OR shorten them as you need, but I like a 1 sec basic motion, you may like another.
so 1 of my motions would be an arm bend at the elbow to 110 degrees (the normal range of the elbow), then I would save that as elbow bend, then I make the shoulder bend and save it.

Now you can either play them following one another for each motion or you can put 1 directly under the other on the timelines and they will both play at once so the arm goes up and the elbow bends.
Now you can 'bake' the motions and save that as a new file and you will have the arm AND elbow bend at once.

If i edit it at the current keyframe would it keep the first pose and bend into the second as a saved motion?...
I think your wanting to do a fade? from 1 motion to another?

So lets take the elbow again.

You have the basic that I mentioned above and the Arm bend
But your Arm bends straight up the side to over the head, and you want it to go infront of the Face.
NP
make your Arm up motion for 30 frames and this time the arm goes straight foreward and up.
(save it:) )

now put the Arm bend to side on timeline and on next timeline down put the Arm bend foreward about halfway into the first (so they overlap about halfway thru), now you can put a fade between them so your arn starts going up the side BUT then angles torard the face as you go into your second motion.
now you can bring the elbow bend onto the third timeline and slide it whereever you want the elbow to start to bend, you can shorten any of the motions to speed the anim up or lenghten them to do slo-mo
Now you can 'bake' THAT set of motions and save it as a NEW motion.

Pretty soon you will have a whole bank of motions to pick and choose from, and be able to edit them in the graph editor to tweek them.

Did that help??

I don't do tuts well
I know how to do it, but explaining it is different.

PeteS
03-30-2004, 09:13 PM
god yes did it help. (i printed it out)
though your a little ahead of me with some stuff, but i think i can figure it out.

thank you so much for our time. if i run into trouble i'll track you down:p

thanks again.
pete

prospector
03-30-2004, 10:33 PM
Anytime