PDA

View Full Version : NTSC size for FCP4?

Johnny
03-30-2004, 09:47 AM
I have a pile of clips rendered in LW at 720x 486...I discover that one of the 'standard' sizes in FCP is 720 x 480, and that my project renders more slowly, I guess because of the odd size...

I've gotten various suggestions as to how to deal with this, short of re-rendering at the correct size, but wanted to get input from the board, in case anyone here has had to deal with a similar situation..

thanks!

Johnny

mlinde
03-30-2004, 10:15 AM
Johnny, the problem is that NTSC uses non-square pixels, and you've rendered with square pixels. Basically, you need to create a Photoshop Action to do the following:
1) Open the image
2) Open Image -> Image Size
3) Turn off Constrain Proportions
4) In Pixel Dimensions enter 720 wide by 480 high
5) Click OK
6) Save the file

Johnny
03-30-2004, 10:20 AM
OK...that's easy enough to do. but in the future, is there a setting that I ought to select so that my images render to 720 x 480?

I'm looking at all the choices under "Resolution" under camera properties, and none offer that size, so maybe I'm good just to type in 720 width and 480 height?

Or will that still leave me with frames that need "fixing," because of the square versus non-square pixels issue?

J

eblu
03-30-2004, 10:27 AM
woah!
hold the phone!
Mlinde, that is NOT correct.

720 x 486 IS non square.
so is 720 x 480 but it is The DV/DVD format (NOT the D1 NTSC format).
and it simply crops off the three lines at the top and bottom of the frame.

what you told johnny to do is Incorrect, and will send his images to apect ratios unknown.

now, if his LW renders were 720 x 540, or 640 x 480, then he should do what you suggested. those two sizes Are square pixel sizes.

But the 720 x 486 d1 format coming out of LW IS .09 aspect ratio, and it IS NON SQUARE (check it for yourself).

What johnny can do instead is crop the LW renders, to exclude the top three and the bottom three horizontal lines of pixels. This will give you a .9 aspect Non-square frame of 720 x 480.

And heres the kicker, I'm pretty sure that this isn't whats slowing down FCP.

Johnny
03-30-2004, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by eblu
What johnny can do instead is crop the LW renders, to exclude the top three and the bottom three horizontal lines of pixels. This will give you a .9 aspect Non-square frame of 720 x 480.

ok... a little confused now. Just glanced at one of the scenes from my project, and the settings for the camera is 720x486 with a .9 aspect..

so, that part of what I have's good? if I crop the clips, wouldn't I take 3 pix from left and 3 from right? Is this best as a photoshop action, too?

J

mlinde
03-30-2004, 10:44 AM
woah!
hold the phone!
Mlinde, that is NOT correct. Damn. That's what I get for trying to read, write, and rebuild a computer at the same time. I wasn't looking closely at my source, and yes, it specifically says "720x534" for the square pixel images. Sorry, guys. In my defense, it is "Crack Tuesday" at work, so we all do stupid things today...
:rolleyes:

eblu
03-30-2004, 11:42 AM
johnny, thats top and bottom.
you want to crop the height not the width.

ie: turn 720 x 486 into 720 (see the width is still the same) x 480.
photoshop can do it, but I suspect that FCP can do it better. I also suspect that its your compression scheme thats causing the slowdown, and not the frame size, but as I'm no FCP expert... well maybe someone else knows

mlinde, did you bring enough for everybody in the class?

Johnny
03-30-2004, 11:45 AM
johnny, thats top and bottom.
you want to crop the height not the width.

ie: turn 720 x 486 into 720 (see the width is still the same) x 480.

whoopsie! you're right...

J