PDA

View Full Version : Is VRML still being supported?

ceenda
03-30-2004, 05:48 AM
The reason I ask is because we're looking into buying a Lightwave licence where I work and alot of the work we do still uses VRML as it's still one of the best 3D web interfaces and connectable to Java via the EAI for extensive functionality.

We currently use Max here, but I'd prefer to use lightwave for this as the Exporter with MAX frequently screws up the geometry and it doesn't seem to get the scale quite right. We've had to resort to Wings3D for alot of object creation and export now.

Also, VRML is still very much being renewed and renovated via companies like BitManagement into a system that makes VRML very viable for web-based 3D.

I'm still looking at the VRML Export (which seems to be functional for small scenes in the Discovery Edition) and it seems to do a very good job.

Are the sources available for these plugins (for the SDK) so that we could write our own version of Lightwave's VRML Exporter? Or is that closed source?

Karmacop
03-30-2004, 06:00 AM
VRML 97 is still supported in LW7.5 ... not that I've used it. I can only presume they'll still have it in LW8, and if not it'd more than likely still work. As far as the source being avaliable, it's not in the SDK sample plugins, so I'd say not, but it wouldn't be too hard for a programmer to write an exporter after getting to know the LW SDK.

ceenda
03-30-2004, 06:32 AM
Karmacop: Thanks. I had a look around and it seems this plugin was created by Frances Dose (http://www.francesdose.com/). I've tried emailing him, but the email address on the website just bounces back to me, so I'm guessing that perhaps it's not being supported any more.

The email basically just asked:

1 - Is the VRMLExport plugin still being updated in Lightwave?
2 - If not, would there be any possibility of obtaining the sourcecode for the plugin so that we could take over updating and maintenence with full assurance of credit to you as the original author of the plugin?

As you say, it probably wouldn't be a problem to write one using the SDK, it would just save us alot of time.

Karmacop
03-30-2004, 06:40 AM
Well, I don't know if Frances Dose ever worked for Newtek or if they just got permission to distribute his plugin with Lightwave, but it'd be worth emailing Newtek to see if they have the code. I'd suggest emailing Deuce [email protected] or Chuck [email protected] .

ceenda
04-02-2004, 07:39 AM
Actually, after downloading the SDK and running through the examples, I've already got a basic VRML exporter up and running. Just does geometry at the moment, but should do UVMapping etc. I'll make the plugin available online when it's at a decent level and/if there is still demand for such it. :)

Karmacop
04-02-2004, 09:25 AM
I'd be happy to see it released :)

Also, do you do requests? My brother has some perl code that I want to be a lightwave plugin .. just simple geometry stuff ...:D

Exper
04-02-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by ceenda
I'll make the plugin available online when it's at a decent level and/if there is still demand for such it. :)I "demand" for sure! ;) :rolleyes:

Lightwolf
04-04-2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Karmacop
Well, I don't know if Frances Dose ever worked for Newtek or if they just got permission to distribute his plugin with Lightwave...
Actually, this is just the domain that hosts some of Arnie Cachelins, ex LW programmer, pages. AFAIK He originally wrote the VRML exporter, and posted some tips there on using it.

Cheers,
Mike