PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave (PC) to iMovie (MAC): how to import?

cappie
03-30-2004, 02:41 AM
Hiya,

I'm working on a project where the final editing is going to be done by some random guy on an MAC, and he only has iMovie or something.

They've asked me to give them a DV tape with the video on it, but since I don't have a digital video camera, I can't deliver it in the required format.

Can anyone tell me what other formats iMovie can import? plain avi? mpeg2? separate frames in jpg, targa, tiff or some other format?

Your help is much appreciated :)

Ade
03-30-2004, 02:56 AM
I think imovie likes DV files...

noiseboy
03-30-2004, 04:11 AM
coming in from the Mac side of things I would of asked for an image sequence, this can always be converted into whatever format that quicktime can handle, Imovie-4 appears to be able to import pretty much any format, I've just tested it with .avi, .mov .png .jpg and even pdf, Imovie just scales the source to DV format. single frames come in as a 5sec clip so I would get the sequence into Quicktime pro first.
But then I probably would be using FCP or FCPexpress which can import the image sequences directly.

cappie
03-30-2004, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by noiseboy
coming in from the Mac side of things I would of asked for an image sequence, this can always be converted into whatever format that quicktime can handle, Imovie-4 appears to be able to import pretty much any format, I've just tested it with .avi, .mov .png .jpg and even pdf, Imovie just scales the source to DV format. single frames come in as a 5sec clip so I would get the sequence into Quicktime pro first.
But then I probably would be using FCP or FCPexpress which can import the image sequences directly.

Hmm... then uncompressed avi it is.

Can you tell me what the DV format resolution is? (PAL)

noiseboy
03-30-2004, 08:08 AM
PAL DV resolution is 720 x 576. re the AVI I would send the mac guy a sample AVI before potentially wasting alot of render time.
HTH

mlinde
03-30-2004, 09:58 AM
Make sure your Mac guy has Quicktime Pro. He can convert the AVI to DV via Quicktime with very little loss in compression, then quickly and easily import that into QT.

Or, if you want to clean it more on your end, go ahead and install & buy QT Pro yourself ($30 USD). You can take your AVI, convert it to DV at settings that you are comfortable with, then send that DV file (actually an MOV) to the Mac guy.

Beamtracer
03-30-2004, 03:23 PM
iMovie converts DV footage into a "DV stream", which is a tad different from a DV movie.

mlinde
03-30-2004, 05:31 PM
Oh, um I was playing with this today, and you can import an AVI directly into iMovie, FWIW. Use an M-JPEG codec, or something that is sure to be supported in Quicktime though.

Zarathustra
04-01-2004, 08:27 AM
When in doubt, just hand in an uncompressed targa sequence.