PDA

View Full Version : VT3 ever for macintosh?

Ade
03-30-2004, 02:00 AM
I was just wondering, now that Prem is dead for macs, there are really only 2 high end suites available for X.
FCP and AVID.

Could there be a market for VT3 for macs?

I know id certainly give it a go if it intergrated seemlessly
with lightwave.

What do you think?

fxgeek
03-30-2004, 03:42 AM
Doubtfull. Not really a market for it. It's very unlikely that anyone will try to take on FCP on the mac as it prertty much has the market cornered.

And considering that BlackMagic's Decklink is now only $295 you can get SDI in and out on your mac for next to nothing (comparitavely speaking).

Ade
03-30-2004, 05:24 AM
U rekon it would be good business sense to tie VT3 and LW as one package?

robewil
03-30-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Ade
U rekon it would be good business sense to tie VT3 and LW as one package? It is. VT[3] includes Lightwave 7.5. Although it hasn't been stated officially, I hope the next version of VT (VT4?) will include Lightwave 8.

I think the real issue with the VT on the Mac is the resources it would require. It could not be a straight port since the VT (more so than Lightwave, I believe) has highly optimized code. If you've ever worked with it, it really hums and can do things in real-time that Premiere Pro can only dream about. The VT developers really did their homework and created a very sweet video production system.

To duplicate this on Macintosh would involve a great effort into getting the same optimizations. It's doable, of course, but it is my guess that such an endeavor may tax Newtek's resources too much. It's probably better that they stay focused on one platform concerning this product.

Of course, I may be completely wrong. We'll see what Newtek's been up to at NAB in a few weeks.