PDA

View Full Version : Hardware woes (or how I learned to love the backup)

mlinde
03-29-2004, 09:45 PM
So I write this from my trusty-dusty dual-USB white iBook, with it's not-so-beefy 600 MHz G3 processor. My beefy G4 (QS 2x800, 1.5 GB RAM, 2x120 GB HD, GeForce 4 Ti) sits next to me suffering from a catastrophic disk failure on my main HD. The good news? I didn't do much this weekend and my last backup was Friday at 8:30 pm. The bad news? Gotta replace my main HD. The other good news? Manufacturer's warrantee -- Western Digital has a three year warrantee on my drive, and I get my HW replaced free of cost due to the failure.

My comment to you guys: backup, backup, backup. It can happen to anybody.

Johnny
03-29-2004, 10:06 PM
what's your preferred method: CD, DVD? Tape?

do you make some hard decisions as to what to back up and how much of it? I have a couple of little video projects going right now that would chew thru $30 worth of DVDs pretty easily...

I'd like to back up more thoroughly/more often, but there are only so many bucks in the wallet...

J

mlinde
03-29-2004, 10:38 PM
I have a four-tiered backup system. Ok, so I'm a bit paranoid, but I've been in this business a long time and I don't mess around with lost data. Here's how it works for me:
Tier 1( weekly backup via "Backup" from Apple, to iDisk): small data -- Address Book, Bookmarks, iCal
Tier 2 (weekly backup to CD/DVD): Documents, Websites, e-mail databases, Library Preferences
Tier 3 (weekly backup to external HD): Entire User directory
Tier 4 (monthly/project level backup, to DLT): Entire "Project" directory (at end of project) or multiple projects (if monthly).

I like the simplicity of "Backup" from Apple, but it doesn't do everything I would like, so I'm still using Retrospect for the big stuff that goes down to tape.