PDA

View Full Version : trying to model the lightwave logo...

mabaza
03-29-2004, 08:49 PM
Hi there,

I've been fooling around with Lightwave for a few weeks now and after much pomp and circumstance I have decided to model something without the aid of a tutorial. *cue dramatic music*

I've chosen the Newtek logo as seen on this page (http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/index.php) for that project. So here's what I did:

I started out by loading the GIF as my Back viewport backdrop and then traced it using Spline Draw. Looks good. I then did an Extend to give it depth on the z axis. Now I'm stuck. I want the front and back to be filled in with polygons but I'm damned if I can figure out how. I suppose I could manually create polygons on every 4 vertices but there must be a less tedious way to achieve the same result?

Here's (http://www.mabaza.com/newtek6.lwo) the lwo file if any of you kind souls wishes to take a peek at it. This seems like the kind of question a guru could answer in just a few seconds.

Thanks guys

Silkrooster
03-29-2004, 09:19 PM
From what I can tell you would need to select each point as if you were tracing the object. Once you have all the points on one side selected the press the make poly button or use the p shortcut. Make sure you select each point in a row with out missing any. They must be selected in order. If you try selecting all point to once the side will not look right. If there is an easier way I am sure someone will post it here for you. I would like to help you more, but I am learning myself. - Good Luck - ;)

Note - Drag slowly while holding down LMB and dragging across the points or you will bypass some points. If it is easier, you can use the shift key while selecting one point at a time.

3D|Dave
03-30-2004, 01:09 PM
In case you did not know, the logo model is in the content directory!

mabaza
03-30-2004, 01:30 PM
Hi Dave,

The logo lwo also comes on the Inside Lightwave 7 CD. I'm not so interested in the logo itself...I just thought it would be a neat exercise....

tommmy
03-31-2004, 07:38 AM
if you are learning just as many others out there. like meself!

I recommer to use the extender tool.. select point in a row the clik extender un the multiply tab. ( DON'T DESELECT!) the drag
(lightwave creates point at the same posiotion as the selescted ones. and then automaticly selects the new points. drag them away from there posioton (all at once) and voila..a bunch of new polygons. now weld the point on the other side.

if you hve selected point over a circel
.o
.o .o
. o .o
.o * .o
. o
. o
.o
for example
you should strach or size the in the middle..towarts the middel or oudide

well....pretty clear to me../ maby even to simpel..but I don;t know how much you know so..I appologise if i was being to simepel
haha
good luck

tommmy
03-31-2004, 07:39 AM
oops..the example is messed up!
oh well.

meatycheesyboy
03-31-2004, 07:58 AM
I looked at your model, wow, that's alot of points to define that outline.

Anyhow, I don't understand why you would need to "manually create polygons on every 4 vertices but there must be a less tedious way to achieve the same result? " The logo is flat on the front/back right? So just make one big polygon. If it isn't going to be subpatched then it doesn't really matter how many points it has. And with one big poly, it'll be alot easier to bevel the front and such to get a really nice edge out of.

gregsduncan
04-02-2004, 02:03 AM
Hi mabaza

I too am just learning so thought I would do the same exercise. These are the basics...

1. I set up the Newtek logo in the Back view.
2. Spline draw can create a LOT of points so I didn't use that. I just used the "Points" tool (+) to place points around the outline of the logo. When you do this, the LEFT mouse button moves the point you just created around. The RIGHT mouse button creates a new point where you click. So just keep clicking the RMB where you need to. Less times on the straight bits, more where there are corners in the logo. (See image)
3. Hit Enter to finish with the Points tool.
4. Now make sure you are in Points mode (CTRL G)
5. Now you must select each point. Do this logically, following the outline of the logo and in a clockwise direction. Do this by just holding the LMB and dragging the mouse over the points. HOWEVER, if you miss one or select one out of order, release the mouse button, click again the LMB and move over the points selected incorrectly (to deselect them). Then, you will have to hold shift as you then go and continue to select the rest of the points.
6. Now you want to make the polygon, so press p (or click "Make pol"). In the perspective view you should see your poly. If not, press f to flip the polygon. If you still don't see it..... :(
7. I just did a basic logo without bevelling, but did smooth the model out by subpatching. For subpatching to work it needs 3/4 point polys. Well my one has 139 points, so it ain't gonna work on that! So, I tripled the model but clicking "Triple" from the "Construct" tab. This divides the model up into 3/4 point polygons so it can be subpatched.
8. Before we subpatch, extrude the poly (E)
9. If we now subpatch it by pressing the Tab key, it will look like some withered old logo! This is because the added points from the extrusion are all connected together and try to round themselves off, so we need to stop this happening. Press u to undo the subpatch mode.
10. In the top/bottom view, lasso select the top row of points.
11. Cut these (x) and paste them again (v). This will break the link with the original points (the extruded bit) and create new points when you paste back.
12. Do steps 10 and 11 with the bottom row of points.
13. Now press Tab to subpatch the model et voila! It should look more rounded and smoothed.

Hope this has helped! Up to you to do the bevelling and booleans to make the holes etc.

Not sure if entirely the correct way - there are usually many different ways to do the same thing, but a real pro can possibly do it just by pressing l (logo) and clicking the mouse a couple of times :p

Greg