PDA

View Full Version : LightWave Training 1 hour demo available

dablan
03-17-2003, 04:01 PM
Hey all,
just wanted to let you know that you can now download a free hour of training at www.3dgarage.com -
You can get the full 1024 res AVI's, or a FLASH version, or just the movies independently.
Project file download link is also there.

Pre-release pricing and our free book offer ends soon. Release is scheduled for NAB.

Thanks!
Dan Ablan
AGA Digital Studios, Inc.

hrgiger
03-17-2003, 05:33 PM
That's very cool Dan. Can't wait to get home from work to check it out.

dablan
03-17-2003, 06:04 PM
Thanks -
enjoy.

I'm going to upload the Quicktime versions tonight.

Cheers,
Dan

hrgiger
03-17-2003, 07:38 PM
Downloading the 212MB file now. Geez. Even with a cable modem this is going to take a while. I'm sure it'll be worth it Dan.

And for anyone who doesn't know what Dan Ablan is all about, well, you're just missing out. Dan's Inside Lightwave books have been invaluable for me as well as I'm sure, tons of other LW users. Same for his desktop series of videotapes. Great stuff. Dan is definately one of the best assets the LW community has for learning Lightwave. I couldn't find the words to express my gratitude for everything I have learned from him. Thank you Mr. Ablan.

kevman3d
03-18-2003, 12:05 AM
Holey-Moley! 212Mb *zipped*!!! :eek:

Nice to see that you've split the tutorial in smaller downloadable sections - However, any chance you might consider halving that 1024x768 resolution and make an overall 'smaller' download size for the rest of your potential 'analogue modem'-based user market? :D I don't care if the pixels are antialiased and resampled - I'm sure I'll still recognise the button names! :)

kevman3d
03-18-2003, 04:17 AM
Well, I just downloaded the first part (27Mb) - 1.5 hours later, I must say, very impressive, very clean and professional to a Tee.

Nice stuff Dan! I'll be sure to pass info about the 3dgarage site and courseware onto the LWUG tommorrow night!

mattclary
03-18-2003, 05:49 AM
Dan, it's giving me an error message. Any chance you've exceeded bandwidth?

Skonk
03-18-2003, 06:42 AM
Yeh i started downloading the 212meg(about 10 hours worth of download for me) file yesterday and when i went to resume it today it wont. Must take some serious bandwidth to dish out a file that size to the lightwave masses :)

james..

hrgiger
03-18-2003, 09:34 AM
I got it downloaded ok, but for some reason the videos won't play for me. It tries to download a codec but then it gives me an error and it won't play. What codec are these videos using?

LSlugger
03-18-2003, 07:13 PM
I haven't downloaded yet, but most AVIs I've seen can be played with DivX (http://www.divx.com/).

Are you using Windows Media Player? I've had no luck with its codec download feature. Works fine with DivX after a manual install, though.

dablan
03-18-2003, 07:30 PM
Wow, thanks so much hrgiger!

Ok, here's the scoop -
My hosting company shut me down. Hehe. LW users are strong! I've got some good friends who are helping out, and we're splitting up the files. Get this - we had something like 6 t1's worth of bandwidth being used within 12 hours.

Quicktimes are uploading now for our mac friends.
AVI's will go back up after.

Then, I'll shoot up there some smaller independent files.
Links will be back on the 3D Garage.com site when ready.

Sorry for the trouble, but thanks for the support.

Now, as far as reducing the 1024, I really don't want to do that. This is a sample of the quality, and I'm afraid userrs might think our final 3D Garage course will look the same. Perhaps I can figure out something.. like splitting the movies into much much smaller chuncks - that I can do. Still the full download, but at 10mb sizes?

Codec, it's the techsmith camtasia codec for the AVI's - go to http://www.techsmith.com/download/studiodefault.asp
and you can find the codec as well as a player for best quality.

Anyone - have problems or questions, email me directly at [email protected] Feel free to call our office with questions at 847.755.4488.

Cheers,
Dan

hrgiger
03-19-2003, 02:50 PM
Ok, thanks Dan. I got the videos to play with that codec. Very nice quality. I just wish I hadn't bought a new computer so that I could buy the courseware. Looks like really good stuff.

dablan
03-20-2003, 12:02 PM
Glad you like them.

Whenever you're ready - we can place an order for you. Visa/MC/ Amex, it's all accepted.

Cheers,
Dan

Skonk
03-20-2003, 01:33 PM
Well i left it downloading today while i went to college but i only have 64k isdn so it was gonna take all day, but i managed to download it at college (at like 180k a sec) and it was done in 10 mins hehe

Really good, when i get some spare cash i will posibly be placing an order :)

James..