PDA

View Full Version : Too much RAM?

jgaris
03-29-2004, 10:32 AM
I have a Lightwave and VT[3] workstation that has been giving me lots of problems lately, and since it's a very common system to Lightwavers and VTers, I was wondering if anybody else out there has heard of this problem...

I get tons of random error messages, lots of lock ups and crashes and I've narrowed it down to RAM and/or video card. Here is my system configuration:

Supermicro P4DC6+ Motherboard
Dual XEON 2.4 Ghz
1.5 GB PC800 RAMBUS
Gainward GeForce 4 Ti4600 128MB
Windows XP Pro

Here is the strange part... when I lower the amount of RAM to 512 it works fine (1 or 1.5 GB - no good) or when I change out the video card to an older Matrox G400 it works fine with any amount of RAM.

I spoke with a guy from a local computer company and he said he had heard of problems wit too much RAM and high-end video cards in windows 98, but never in XP, has anybody out there heard of this? or know of a solution?

Thank you.
- Jordan Garis

hairy_llama
03-29-2004, 10:38 AM
Have you got the latest video card drivers?
I have 2gb ram with a radeon 9700 128mb, works fine.

wapangy
03-29-2004, 10:41 AM
Too much ram isn't bad, but you can have bad ram. A bad ram chip can cause crashes.

jgaris
03-29-2004, 10:44 AM
I do have the latest nvidia drivers (56.64).

I'll have to look into replacing the RAM modules, but every test I've done so far, indicates the RAM is fine! It's only the combination of the RAM and the Ti4600 that causes the problems.

Sastira
03-29-2004, 11:04 AM
I've had big problems with Gainward cards before.. I don't trust them, personally.

But that might not be the problem

I suggest you go into your bios and look at the AGP settings.

It may help to increase the amount of RAM allocated to the video card.

JeF
03-29-2004, 11:15 AM
Hello. Try to look at agp aperture size. Sometimes on dual cpu system with lots of RAM available, it's good to put an aperture size of 256 (more RAM allowed for agp).

mattclary
03-29-2004, 11:31 AM
Use this before you do anything else. I'll bet cash it's bad memory.

http://www.memtest86.com/

wavk
03-30-2004, 12:21 AM
I've had similar problems, too. And so I did some memory tests which found no errors. But I was almost positive about it being the ram, because the trouble started when I got new RAM. Also the problem only occurred when I was using massive amounts of ram. So that indicates that the last block of ram being used is defect. So I returned it to the shop and they sent it to the factory for testing. When it was returned, they said nothing was wrong, but since then I had no problems whatsoever. I gave the ram to a friend of mine, and he hasn't had any problem, so I think it's the ram slot.

It's a bad thing to have, bad ram. The problems I ran into were that I had to re´nstall windows every three days, because everything got corrupted.

Have fun,

Wybren

McLeft
03-31-2004, 11:11 AM
Actually SM doesn't recommend mix differnt size RIMMs for P4DC6/E+... i.e. 2x256 + 2x512

tektonik
03-31-2004, 11:44 AM
memtest is the way to go and let it test overnight

i had the same setup with a quadro card... had bad ram

Librarian
03-31-2004, 12:17 PM
Too much RAM? No problem, gimme gimme http://smilies.jeeptalk.org/otn/blobs/bounce.gif

ACLOBO
03-31-2004, 10:18 PM
One other possibility that springs to mind is heat. I have a geForce 4 ti4600 card as well and one of the first 2ghz machines available. I know my machine runs pretty warm - just come into the room after it has been rendering a while - fortunately, not too many crashes. :)

My point is that with all these extra ram modules and the fact that the ti4600 is not a cool running card (unless you have modded it like me), you may be running into heat related probs. At least it is something to look at before thinking that the ram slot may be bad. As others have already stated, do a thorough test with a memory utility and see what it says.

Another thing - about the corrupted files... When you reinstall windows, are you doing a low level format on the drive? Maybe there is a virus that is sticking around if you are not formatting the drive before installing windows?

-Adrian