PDA

View Full Version : New G5s? Not likely this spring...



mlinde
03-29-2004, 09:34 AM
So for those of you who have waited...
...and waited...
...and waited...
...you can keep waiting.

Apple's newest promotion, G5+ 23" Cinema Display w/$500 rebate goes into June. That, along with the "more memory" promotion that was just extended into June as well, doesn't bode well for those of you who have sat back for the last 3 months waiting on those faster G5s. Just think how much more productive you would have been if you'd just bought it back in December.

Not saying it absolutely won't happen, mind you, just that it doesn't seem likely that Apple would upgrade a product that is in the midst of a promotion. You folks who are waiting can keep waiting, and maybe that G5 speed bump will come in June, a mere 6 months after it was anticipated here.

I believe LW[8] will be here long before a new G5.

eblu
03-29-2004, 10:00 AM
i'd like another option added to the survey:
all I really want is a Cinema display and a Cube with a nice fat g5, and a Pro 3d card in it, with the $500 off (that $500 will sure come in handy as I pay for ram).

Ge4-ce
03-29-2004, 11:18 AM
Well.. You don't have to rub it in ya know.. :)

I feel like crap allready :( Indeed, I would have better bought a Mac in December. But hey! Now I CERTAINLY won't buy a G5. They really try to get rid of their old stock. I waited until now, I now can wait until June. I won't buy 9 months old hardware. Besides, they better be at 3 Ghz now. If they update in June and deliver only Less than 3 ghz.... Steve would really look like a fool and Wintelworld would really point and laugh.

Personal, I don't think Steve makes such promises if does not know for sure he can make them come out.

Then another thing: They updated the Tibook to a 1Ghz model with a superdrive somewhere in octobre (but were only deliveralbe in november) then in January they annouced the Alluminium 17 inch powerbook. So I don't buy the "Apple won't update a line AGAIN in 4 months" But they won't get me this time. I bought the TiBook and would have loved the 17". No way hosé.. not again.

tallscot
03-29-2004, 01:03 PM
I'd say I'm not impressed at all with "the legs" this IBM processor has.

I thought we were done with the processor delays. Someone in Motorola is laughing.

Did anyone here think we'd still be at 2 Ghz today back in June of last year?

WizCraker
03-29-2004, 01:31 PM
Who says it is an IBM issue could be an Apple issue. Try to milk the consumer before introducing a new product. Yes the ones that are in the know will wait but the newbies that don't know any better are like sheep they just buy with out research.

Ge4-ce
03-29-2004, 01:37 PM
Today Macrumors posted again a new message. Now it would not be certain that PowerMacs have to wait until june.

As a matter of fact.. Nobody actually knows what's going on. Everyone tells a different story.

Tallscot: we have to see what's coming. If Apple lauches 3 ghz in June.. Everyone will be happy, but still wondering what happened with the dual 2.5 in january.. Updating a computer once a year is a bad idea. You sell tons of them in the first quarter => high demand, long waitinglists. frustrated customers. You end up with losses in the last 2 quarters because everyone's speculating and waiting for new hardware.

Now,.. It would not surprise me if Apple came earlier with a 3 Ghz machine! Now That would be great marketing: You had to wait a bit longer, but now the 3 Ghz is available AHEAD of scedule!

I ain't see it happening, but it could be.

tallscot
03-29-2004, 01:43 PM
I understand, yet Apple's G5 sales are lower-than-expected and disappointing, so I read.

I'm personally waiting for a speed bump. It's not good for Apple that I am keeping my $3K.

The fact is I'm disappointed that the G5 hasn't been updated in speed since it's debut. I would like to see speed bumps every 6 months.

What's the Opteron at now? 2.4 Ghz?

Ge4-ce
03-29-2004, 01:51 PM
I totally agree with you..

I also have about 5000€ waiting for a 23" display and a high-end PM..

I'm a student and have to make my final 3D "masterwork" to get my Masterdegree in Animation on that Machine. I worked very hard to save that 5000 bucks. I will not spend it on 9 and 14 months old hardware! Certainly not when updates are emminent.

I really need it from september but I can use it right now. The next revision is mine.

tallscot
03-29-2004, 02:08 PM
What's worse is I actually bought a dual 2 Ghz G5 a month ago and used it for three weeks.

I returned it because it had that annoying noise problem. I realized I didn't want a 1st-generation product from Apple (infamous for problems w/ 1st gen products) and I also realized that I could just wait for the speed bump.

Since I bought from a local Fry's that has a 30 day policy, I returned it. That's a big reason to not buy from Apple. Noise problem? What noise problem?

So I guess that's another reason I'm being negative towards Apple here... I want my new G5 now!!!! :)

js33
03-29-2004, 02:45 PM
So were all 9 fans running at once? Was the noise that bad?
I thought the G5 was supposed to run fairly quite.

Anyway like you said if Apple didn't have such an uppity attitude and were more customer service oriented their sales would probably be alot higher.

Cheers,
JS

tallscot
03-29-2004, 03:04 PM
It's an electronic noise that sounds like it comes from the processors themselves. They react to what you are doing on your Mac.

For example, opening a QuickTime movie would start the "buzz" sound. Quitting it and stop the sound.

Moving OpenGL objects would make the sound as you dragged the object, and stop making the sound when you stopped dragging the object.

Very weird.

If you install the CHUD tools from the OS X developer tools CD, a "Hardware" system preference is installed. Turning off "CPU Nap" mode in there fixes the noise problem, but Apple doesn't recommend it and I didn't feel comfortable keeping a $3K system that required a hack. Oh yeah, if you restarted, you had to turn off the CPU Nap again, though someone created an AppleScript that would do it for you on restart.

I'm really surprised there isn't a recall on the G5s. The fan noise was low and it was very quiet, which is why it was so easy to hear this annoying electronic noise.

mlinde
03-29-2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by js33
Anyway like you said if Apple didn't have such an uppity attitude and were more customer service oriented their sales would probably be alot higher. So do you folks think that the tech support folks at Dell are more customer service oriented than the Apple people? I'm curious about your perspective. I find that most sales people are very "customer service oriented" until you buy something, then they drop you cold, but at Apple they seem to be willing to talk to you after you have your machine, and offer free Q&A support at the store (the Genuis Bar), and hardware repair as well. Do you have different experiences?

tallscot
03-29-2004, 04:11 PM
Actually, I have had positive experiences with Apple's tech support over the phone and their service.

I had an Airport Base Station go bad and Apple sent me a new one with instructions to put the old one in the same box and call UPS to have them pick it up.

The thing about the systems, though, is Apple isn't going to take a machine back with no questions and give me my money back like Fry's. With Apple, they will deny there is a problem with their system for months before officially recognizing a problem. The solution for this noise problem is to have the power supply swapped out. They will send you a new power supply, and it's up to you to get it swapped out. That's very bad, IMHO. If I got a brand new G5 from Apple and it made that noise, I'd want to send it back for a full refund or for a new system that doesn't make that noise.

Because of that, I will buy my new Apple Cinema Displays (potential dead pixels) and my new G5 from Fry's Electronics.

The only problem is they get the new models several weeks after Apple offers them on the Apple Store. I don't know if I can wait! :)

Johnny
03-29-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by tallscot
I'd say I'm not impressed at all with "the legs" this IBM processor has.

I thought we were done with the processor delays. Someone in Motorola is laughing.

Did anyone here think we'd still be at 2 Ghz today back in June of last year?

When he announced the G5, Steve Jobs emphatically stated that faster G5 macs wouldn't be released until what was then "next summer."

Next summer, relative to now, is 3 months into the future, so unless you've been travelling at warp 15 and have already been to the future, and can report that no new G5s have been released, we haven't even gotten a chance to have a 'delay,' let alone the next revision.

J

toby
03-29-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by mlinde
So for those of you who have waited...
...and waited...
...and waited...
...you can keep waiting.


That's me you're talking about!

I've had the money for two months, when I heard about the possible June/July delays - then saw a refurbished one for $2.4K, I ordered it. I can't wait any longer to replace this ancient dual 450, but like Ge4ce I refuse to pay full duckets for something that's been out for 9 months!

Maybe I'll upgrade again in a year - it should have reached ridiculous speed by then - one would hope...:confused:

tallscot
03-29-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Johnny
When he announced the G5, Steve Jobs emphatically stated that faster G5 macs wouldn't be released until what was then "next summer."

Next summer, relative to now, is 3 months into the future, so unless you've been travelling at warp 15 and have already been to the future, and can report that no new G5s have been released, we haven't even gotten a chance to have a 'delay,' let alone the next revision.

J

Actually, he said it would be up to 3 Ghz in a year, he didn't say the next speed bump would be a year.

Johnny
03-29-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by tallscot
Actually, he said it would be up to 3 Ghz in a year, he didn't say the next speed bump would be a year.

well, aren't the two phrasings roughly equivalent?
The gist is that there would be an increase in speed/speed bump/faster Macs/less slow Macs..however you phrase it in about a year.

I'm just saying we ain't there, yet! I don't think it's time to worry that there are going to be ridiculous delays in chip evolution as in the Motorola days.

The exising crop of G5s aren't exactly garbage...

J

james767
03-29-2004, 04:38 PM
updates are allways emminent


Originally posted by Ge4-ce
I totally agree with you..

I also have about 5000€ waiting for a 23" display and a high-end PM..

I'm a student and have to make my final 3D "masterwork" to get my Masterdegree in Animation on that Machine. I worked very hard to save that 5000 bucks. I will not spend it on 9 and 14 months old hardware! Certainly not when updates are emminent.

I really need it from september but I can use it right now. The next revision is mine.

tallscot
03-29-2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Johnny
well, aren't the two phrasings roughly equivalent?
The gist is that there would be an increase in speed/speed bump/faster Macs/less slow Macs..however you phrase it in about a year.

I'm just saying we ain't there, yet! I don't think it's time to worry that there are going to be ridiculous delays in chip evolution as in the Motorola days.

The exising crop of G5s aren't exactly garbage...

J

No, they are not equivalent. If they were, there would be no speculation about G5 speed-bumps. Everyone would be talking about when those 3 Ghz G5s hit the shelves in the summer.

How often were the G4 chips updated in speed?:

G4
September 1999 350/400
July 2000 400/2 x 450/2x500
January 2001 466/2 x 533/667/733
July 2001 733/867/2 x 800
January 2002 800/933/2 x 1
August 2002 2 x 867/1/ 1.25
January 2003 1.0/ 2 x 1.25/1.42

G5
June 2003 1.6/1.8/2 x 1.8/2 x 2.0