PDA

View Full Version : Matching Modeler and Layout Images

hcompston
03-17-2003, 03:28 PM
I have brought an image into modeler in order to make a shadow object. I then use the same image in layout as the scene backdrop and display this in the camera. Now when I bring my shodow object it doesnt match the background image at all. Now in Modeler I can set the size of my background image but in layout you cannot. How do you match an image used in modeler to an image used in Layout if layout distorts it to fit the camera?

The image is not square but 1000*865 pixels. I have sized it in modeler to 31m with a pixel aspect of 1.7316. I have tried using the camera aspect in layout but this does not have the desired effect.

Any Ideas?

Mylenium
03-17-2003, 11:41 PM
You started off the wrong way.... You have to first adjust your layout view. Set your camera to the resolution you will do your final render with, adjust all other parameters and then load your bg image. It is also important that it has the correct size/ ratio for fitting the bg perfectly so crop/ resize it in Photoshop to your needs. After all this you can use it in Modeler as well or always render a single frame to use as a reference for modelling - the only drawback would be that you would not model in absolute scale, only relative proportions. If you want to have correct sizes however, you will have to map your image (in Layout) onto a plane and align it with your camera and use the same size values in Layout and Modeler. You may also add some dummy objects in Layout to get some feeling for sizes and proportions.

Mylenium

P.S: Always use a square pixel aspect! Otherwise due to stretching your things will never line up perfectly.

hcompston
03-18-2003, 01:00 AM
Thanks Mylenium

Starting the other way around is probably the only thing I didnt try. Prety much all tutorials say just load it in here then load it in there and it lines up!

I will try your method.

H