PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 3D in Ireland

philip kelly
03-29-2004, 05:02 AM
Hi
I am intersted in talking to someone using lightwave 3d in Ireland.
If you do use it can you please let me know.
I need some general info on the product.
Thank you .

phil

gristle
03-30-2004, 01:23 AM
Just so happen to have got it in at work last week...Down in Bray.
What do you want to know?

AJ

philip kelly
03-30-2004, 01:51 AM
First thanks for replying.

I am from Bray too, by the way.
I work for an architects firm in town, and use formz and artlantis , and fighting with micrstataion v8.
But I would much prefer Lightwave.
How much did it cost , all in dilevered to your door.
Do you use it for architectural work, and do you have any samples of what can be done.
I love the rendering end of it, I have a Demo, and have used it a litte bit,

Would you recomend it.?

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance .

Phil

gristle
03-30-2004, 02:25 PM
Hi Phil.

I think we ended up paying just over 700 pounds to get it to the door. We purchased it through a reseller in the UK www.dvc.uk.com

I am using Lightwave for industrial design viz, from concepts through to final cad models. I also have Flamingo for Rhino at work, but it has taken the back seat now. We also have FPrime now and can say that it has cut a huge chunk out of the setup frustrations of trying to setup a studio.

All of our 3d comes in from Pro Engineer, via Rhino then into Lightwave.

I cant show you any of what we are doing at the moment but will have a hunt around at home for some older renderings.

I cant comment on using Lightwave for architectural renderings but I am sure it will handle it.

AJ

philip kelly
03-31-2004, 01:23 AM
hi
Thank you very much for all the info.
I had heard of Fprime but gave it a quick look but no more it looks very good.
May I ask what reseller you used.
I would like to get started on lightwave in the coming months and use it as a major tool.
Hard to justify spending money when you have just bought a house, that needs a lot of work.

It would open a lot of doors in a lot of other businessses let alone arch'viz.

best of luck with the new set up, it sounds great.
I hope it works out for you., and I am sure it will.
keep in touch, and let me know how you are getting on rendering wise ect, if you can.
I tried to convince the powers that be to get it for the office , but they said they didn't need to blow this up, and have snow falling ai the images we do.
Well you can't really argue with that.

Thank you again.

phil

gristle
03-31-2004, 02:06 AM
Hi Phil. The reseller is www.dvc.uk.com

Yeah good luck with the coin counters... Was easy to get it here. I have been working on a more complicated rendering and Flamingo was not cutting it. To hard to texture in etc and getting the lighting right would have taken to long. About 4 years ago I also had the chance to convince the boss to get some rendering software. Again we got Lightwave. Sure we were not blowing stuff up, but we did do a fair amount of animation variying from simple translation through to particles showing airflow. I was working on the ID team and happened to have some experience with animation.

How is FormZ going? Used it a little a while back. I didnt know microstation was still skulking around!

AJ

philip kelly
03-31-2004, 03:44 AM
hi again
Ya formz isn't bad, scan line rendering is good enough for what I do, but I personally would love something a bit more professional.
All the architects don't want photorealism most of the time these days, but it's all study models and hidden line and shadow studies, pretty simple to be honest.
They hand out to other companies what I know we can do in house if I was given the time, but that's the issue time.
Micrstation v8 is very good but a serious head wrecker for learning, and the particle tracing is excellent, but not on out door work.
And animations I have yet to see a good one.

So there you go.
You mentioed Particle systems, sounds good, i always wanted to do wind simulations on block models, but haven't found the software yet to be honest.

Talk to you soon.
take care phil

gristle
04-01-2004, 02:00 AM
Have you looked at these wip's??
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19945

EDIT:- Check out this site. Heaps of LW arch renderings.
http://www.yestudio.net/

AJ

philip kelly
04-01-2004, 09:06 AM
Hi
I had a look at the renders they are very good, I couldn't open any of the architectural renderings.
I have no doubt about the rendering capabilities.
They stand out for realism.
Have you ever looked at stack studios in italy, they have some beauties
I would love to make a short film in it, as ahobby.
Something alone the lines of rustboy, that's a beauty.
May I ask what business you are in, that you use particle systems?

Talk to you again soon.

phil

gristle
04-02-2004, 01:42 AM
Hi.

Industrial design. I was using the particle system when I was on the ID team working on a new refrigerator platform. I used it to illustrate the airflow in a concept.

Will check out those sites you listed.

See you.
AJ