PDA

View Full Version : Which video game system is the best? XBox, GameCube, Playstation 2?

korn_kid
03-28-2004, 05:45 PM
Which video game system do you think is the best?
just curious.
http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/4678/4678744_sc.jpghttp://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/6093/6093844_rc.jpghttp://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0001B15RA.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

mkiii
03-28-2004, 06:28 PM
(o) Lightwave3d

tudor
03-29-2004, 01:12 AM
Chip an xbox, put a large harddrive in it, and you have a game system, DVD player, Music player (mp3) and an AVI (divX) player.
The quality of games is getting better, but the PS2 sofar has the best games.

Turner
03-31-2004, 04:01 PM
"Best" in what sense?

Andrew

prospector
03-31-2004, 05:37 PM
Amiga..hands down

dfc
04-01-2004, 02:24 PM
PS2 has "more" games.

Xbox has best quality/performance "when" they are written to leverage it. About 10 to 15% of Xbox titles are written specifically to leverage all the Xbox can do..and they are noticably better than their PS2 counter parts. The Xbox is also "faster" at loading modules..levels..etc.

Striaght PS2 ports on Xbox are basically same quality on both boxes (but load faster on Xbox)

Nintendo has great graphics quality..but selection of games is mostly in the family/kids area.

As noted, Xbox also can be used as DVD player works well (but you have to buy the optional DVD remote (29 bucks))_Ah...MS. PS2 offers DVD player feature but it doens't work well..pretty much useless.

The network capability of the xbox I think is more limited than the PS/2. (that is, if I remember right)

In that regard, if you are interested in a wide plethora of game titles..and easy pickings in this regard.....the PS2 is probably a better choice. (that and if the other features mentioned might be important to you). But, if you are interested in a narrower range of only the "best" games...and the best quality..Xbox I think is a better choice.

btw..both Xbox and PS2 are long overdue for an overhaul.

bluehand
04-01-2004, 08:12 PM
dfc - good breakdown of the consoles,
but, I think the Xbox has the best of the 3 when it comes to network. Based on Xbox Live.
When it comes to playing online, Xbox is hands down the best. Yes, you have to pay, but it's a small amount, and well worth it. I get a kick out of teasing my friends @ work who play PS2 online - I like asking them how they find each other online when they want to play....they call each other on the phone - with Xbox Live, you can see thru your Xbox or any browser, which of your friends is playing, and which game. You can also send your friends invites if they are online (from, your Xbox) , even if they are playing a different game then you are playing, very slick.

Also, PS2 allows those slow 56k dialup users to clog up their online games, w/Xbox, it's all broadband, no dialup allowed .

Yes, PS2 has more games, but quality is what counts, (although there are some crappy Xbox games too)

but, Full Spectrum Warrior and Halo 2 are coming to the Xbox, and not PS2.

Turner
04-01-2004, 08:41 PM
Full Spectrum Warrior looks amazing, and I'm sure Halo 2 will be fun.

That said, there are plenty of games on other consoles that, given the current power of Xbox, could be even more phenomenal - Killzone and Ratchet and Clank, and, of course, Gran Turismo come to mind.

Speaking of gaming, are there exporters for LW for use with Unreal? Anyone know? Maybe I should search the forums...

cheers
Andrew

dfc
04-02-2004, 09:39 AM
Thanks Bluehand. I don't use network gaming with it...so..good to know.

Funny story:
I took my xbox to my Dad's house. I think the only game console he had ever seen was an old Atari and pong.

I started Halo, and handed him the controler and he was sitting in his chair with his jaw open watching the trailer opening. When it got to the "crash" part...and the handset buzzed and vibrated..he threw the controller up in the air like he had been shocked. He thought I hooked somethign up wrong.

I was laughing so hard, I couldn't even respond for a min or so. I finally told him..through fits of laughing...that it's "supposed" to do that. He picked up the controler again..and as he started to get into game play...it happend again..and he threw it again and cursed. Like a reflex. I was ROTFLMAO. It's more entertainment for me to watch him play it than it is to play it myself!

I finally paused the game and turned off the vibrate for the controller so he could play..but not until I watched him toss the thing 3 times. Funny.

Anyway, that brings up one last point about the Xbox...some people don't like the controllers that come with the Xbox because they are "large". I have big hands..and found it quite comfortable. But, it's a criticism of the Xbox you'll see occasionaly that I feel is simply not warranted. There are alterternative controllers that are smaller and slimmer for very reasonable prices for the Xbox if you don't like the larger ones. There are also a plethora of specialty controllers (steering wheels, pedals...joy sticks..etc) and most of them are reasonably priced. Adding controllers is something most people do at some point anyway.

I've just never considered this such a big deal...but recall when I was making a decision between them that it was something I read alot in comparitive reviews as a criticism of the Xbox. You can program the controls layout to suit your fancy. Even my wife..who has smaller hands..likes the larger more substantial Xbox controller. But, had she not..a quick trip up the street and 28 bucks could have gotten her a small, slender one that works just like the bigger one. Just never seemed like an "issue" to me that was worthy of criticism.