PDA

View Full Version : Streaming

DerekB
03-28-2004, 03:08 PM
I have a question regarding the best possible frame size/quality/compressor regarding streaming!!----
What is the highest quality I can get on a 5 megabit Cable connection with hopes of displaying on NTSC at the other end??
i.e. 2/3 screensize etc.

Thanx in advance!!

Derek

Faraz
03-28-2004, 04:02 PM
This will depend on what compression method you use... EX. Windows Media, Divix, MPEG-2, DV, etc...

If you want you can send a 720 x 480 size file down any pipeline, the quality will vary on the codec and compression ratio.

DerekB
03-28-2004, 05:05 PM
Thanx Faraz

When I get more specifics, I will repost!!

djlithium
03-29-2004, 08:12 AM
Derek,
If you log into the FTP server for newtek you will find a word doc or zip file that I wrote on the subject. It should help you out. If its not there, email me at [email protected] and I should have a copy floating around that you can read up on and understand the finer points of WMV streaming and bit rates for connections.

You could probably pull off a nice NTSC resolution stream at 24fps using WMV9 running at 768kbps. The trade off you might have to work on is between sound and video quality. You can do a wonderful looking stream at half D1 using 384kbps.

Also check out www.kyxpyx.net for another neat toy for on-demand streaming and file management for media content.

DerekB
03-29-2004, 08:56 PM
Thanx a lot!

Derek