PDA

View Full Version : Some animations look AWFULL on TV!

starbase1
03-28-2004, 06:55 AM
Hi All,
Thanks for the help with getting a disk written. Thanks to Nero, I now have a mini DVD, with menus to select the animations from.

But a couple of things still are not quite there...

1. Colours. One particular sequence with strongly red and bluish colours streaming at the camera look really rough on the television, although the look fine when played on the computer. (From the mini DVD).

Any way to sort this and preserve the look?

2. Some still look a bit jerky. I'm wondering if I need to rerender some without compression - I had thought it was the PC not keeping up, but perhaps is inherent in the AVI. Does this sound correct?

It's all UK not US equipemt if that makes a difference...

Cheers,
Nick

All clues gratefully received.

prospector
03-28-2004, 07:41 AM
hehe
:)
Compys and TV are different animals.

Colors for 1 look nothing like it on the other.
If your rendering on the compy then you should run 'video legalize' as final filter,
or
render a frame at each color change or major scene change to TV check first.
the colors (usualy red, blue,green) get oversaturated from compy to TV.

Aegis
03-28-2004, 07:42 AM
1.) Intense colours do not translate well to TV - red in particular "bleeds" badly and creates a nasty fuzzy edge - stuff created for TV (be it CG or otherwise) goes through colour correction either during creation or in post to minimize this effect - the sad truth is that you'll never get your animations looking identical on TV/DVD to how they look on your PC 'cause the PC's "RGB" colourspace is a lot broader than TV's "YUV" colourspace. LightWave has a "Video Legalize" Image Filter plugin that will lower the saturation or luminance of your render to be "video legal" (just be sure to press the "default" button after you've selected PAL). It's not ideal and it may flatten out intense areas of your renders but it's worth a try - After Effects or DFX+ would do a much better job I'd imagine.

2.) Are you rendering with motion blur? That helps a lot and if you choose "dithered" it'll create twice the number of motion blur passes - enhanced medium anti-aliasing and dithered motion blur are usually as high as you'll need to go - for even more smoothness you could try field rendering ("even first" for PAL) check out the LightWave manual for more info but in short, instead of 25 frames per second you'll get 50 interpolated "fields" which makes the animation much smoother (some people, myself included think it's too smooth but It may suit the work you're doing).

starbase1
03-28-2004, 09:53 AM
Hi and thanks for the very detailled response guys, fortuantely for most of this stuff I have saved the big sequences of images.

I was using motion blur, but the vector type that render faster.

That pretty much describes what I am seeing.

The end destiation is a planetarium projector, not a TV, but I guess I had better assume the worst, and get busy.

All very useful!

Nick