PDA

View Full Version : Using Dual Monitors with Lightwave3D

lunderwd
03-17-2003, 02:39 PM
Does anyone know if Lightwave3D can support dual monitors?
If so, is there any documentation on this so that I can
set up my system to take advantage of dual displays.

Thanks,
L. Underwood

Prosprctor
03-17-2003, 04:52 PM
the video card is the one that supports dual monitors or not.
LW will run on single or duals.
Either modeler on one and layout on the other or either one on both monitors.

Alec Trevelyan
03-17-2003, 06:44 PM
the unfortunate thing about LW on dual monitors is the lack of memory on the program's part. For arguments sake, let's say I want control panels to always open on the secondary monitor to keep my layout or modeler views unobstructed. So as each CP pops up, i move it to the other monitor. Next time I open LW, the CPs will just pop up on the main monitor. It's not the end of the world, but it sure is annoying! (and yes, there are documented cases of people closing LW! :eek::eek: )

kenmac
03-17-2003, 06:51 PM
Dual monitors rock!!!
I have never had the problem that Alec seems to have.
Get yourself a good card and you are on your way.
Ken Mac

lunderwd
03-18-2003, 09:01 AM
Thank you for the response. I guess I should have been more
specific in my request. I meant to really ask how to make Lightwave use Layout on the 1st monitor and have my test
renders appear on the 2nd monitor so that they don't obstruct
my layout view.

lunderwd
03-18-2003, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Alec Trevelyan
the unfortunate thing about LW on dual monitors is the lack of memory on the program's part. For arguments sake, let's say I want control panels to always open on the secondary monitor to keep my layout or modeler views unobstructed. So as each CP pops up, i move it to the other monitor. Next time I open LW, the CPs will just pop up on the main monitor. It's not the end of the world, but it sure is annoying! (and yes, there are documented cases of people closing LW! :eek::eek: )

Thank you for your response. Others have responded but your response was the one I was looking for. I was looking for a way to have Lightwave display my test renders on my second monitor
instead of the first monitor (which obstructs my Layout view).
Not the end of the world, but it is quite annoying!

I just wondered if anyone has solved that problem.

mattclary
03-18-2003, 09:08 AM
Move the viewer window to the second monitor. Am I missing something here? Any dialog, window, or control panel should move freely across your desktop. If you close the viewer window and it reappears where you don't want it, simply leave it open where you DO want it. The image will be overwritten.

lunderwd
03-18-2003, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by mattclary
Move the viewer window to the second monitor. Am I missing something here? Any dialog, window, or control panel should move freely across your desktop. If you close the viewer window and it reappears where you don't want it, simply leave it open where you DO want it. The image will be overwritten.

Thank you for your response. I am not simply talking about
moving the dialog(s) across the desktop. I guess I should have been more specific in my request.
I was looking for a way to have Lightwave display my test renders on my second monitor
instead of the first monitor (which obstructs my Layout view).
I wondered if Lightwave had a mechanism by which you can
set this up through the program when dealing with multiple monitors.
Not the end of the world, but it is quite annoying!

I just wondered if anyone has solved that problem.

mattclary
03-18-2003, 09:19 AM
LightWave (and most programs, I would guess) have no idea if you have two monitors or 5. Don't think of your monitor as a place, think of it as a window that looks onto your Windows desktop. The only way to do what you want is to physically move your render display to the second screen.

lunderwd
03-18-2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by mattclary
LightWave (and most programs, I would guess) have no idea if you have two monitors or 5. Don't think of your monitor as a place, think of it as a window that looks onto your Windows desktop. The only way to do what you want is to physically move your render display to the second screen.

I do have a few graphics programs where
you can specify what monitor you want things on.
I know this can be done. But Lightwave probably
does not have this implemented.

It does however have ScreamerNet. Lightwave has no way of knowing how many CPU's or Network Drives you have access
to. Enter ScreamerNet! Lightwave's network rendering system. After you have built your scenes in Lightwave, you can use the ScreamerNet to feed the scene to as many CPUs as you have, and they will render away (and store files on the network drive of your choice), while you can be working on another scene in Lightwave!

I wondered if there was some mechanism within Lightwave for multiple monitors.

mattclary
03-18-2003, 10:41 AM
All programs identify their position on the desktop via coordinates. I guess theoretically you could use LScript to tell the window to open in a certain location. Some programs are better at remembering their last known position than others.

Epita
03-18-2003, 01:16 PM
Well, i dont know what card u are using, but with my Geforce 4 i can specify where i want a window to open, and with some applet it allways opens there, its just the thing, only i think you will need a newer card, plus drivers to get it to work.

Epita

lunderwd
03-18-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Epita
Well, i dont know what card u are using, but with my Geforce 4 i can specify where i want a window to open, and with some applet it allways opens there, its just the thing, only i think you will need a newer card, plus drivers to get it to work.

Epita

Hello thanks for the response. I am using a 3D Labs GVX420.
It is capable of supporting 2 Digital Flat Panel Monitors (which is what I have) or 2 Analog Displays simultaneously. Although the card has been around a while it performs extremely well for me.
I would like that new WildCat 4 card but I am not doing anything that would tax that card to the limit.

Anyway, I digress. I think you can see some of the responses
I gave back to others regarding this issue.