PDA

View Full Version : Very Shiny Screws

zander
03-27-2004, 12:24 PM
Here are some really shiny screws. I just made these for fun as a desktop wallpaper. Here is a "light" version and a "dark" version.

I think you will agree, they could be "none more shiny."

zander
03-27-2004, 12:25 PM
...and here's the dark version:

Tom Wood
03-27-2004, 12:47 PM
Hey zander,

Very nice screw job! :D

Would you post the specs on your surfacing please, I'm having a fit trying to do a similar surface on a flying logo.

Thanks,

TW

sKb875
03-27-2004, 01:52 PM
That looks very good! I love the surface. I would also love to see the surface settings.

zander
03-27-2004, 08:32 PM
Sure, no problem...

The surface is really simple (and probably kind of disappointing.) The trick to making metal/chome look really reflective is you have to have something to reflect... So, a lot of this is due to the rig/environment the screws are in. (I'll post a picture in a second...)

Here's the surface of the screw:

Color: 200, 200, 220
Diffuse: 35
Spec: 65
Gloss: 55
Reflect: 75

zander
03-27-2004, 09:01 PM
This should explain it a little better:

The metal is actually reflecting the "skydome" around it. The "highlight" that you see on the top of the screws is really the top of the dome.

I suppose that you could probably do all of this with an environmental map.

For lighting I'm using 2 area lights - one above and one below. They are mostly there for the shadows since the metal surface is only 35% diffuse.

WizCraker
03-27-2004, 11:11 PM
That is cool, I like the dark one the best.

sKb875
03-28-2004, 05:36 PM
Thanks dude, I'll have to try that out. :)

Tom Wood
03-30-2004, 09:39 AM
Thanks zander, I appreciate the info.

Yeah, I'm using the environment map and I'm trying to figure out how to make it 'move' to animate the texture. I'm also working on making the lights move too, so between the two I should get lotso moving texture! :D

TW

Sorta OT, but I spent about two hours yesterday getting a pair of 3D butterfly wings to flutter. Parented them to a null, then applied Follower, and then keyframed the front and back flap of the null (only two keyframes) and applied Oscillate in Graph Editor. Got me a fluttering butterfly with just two keyframes! :p Next time, ten minutes, tops! (And eight of that is trying to remember...now how did I do that again?...) Starting to really like nulls, can an Environment be linked?

Chilli
04-01-2004, 12:25 PM
Zander

Great job and also appreciate your detailed breakdown, you should do another one with the screws aged and scuffed.

Great oaks from little acorns grow