PDA

View Full Version : disabling Discovery Edition?

jamesl
03-27-2004, 12:39 PM
Is there any way to disable the Discovery Edition from opening when a dongle isn't present? I'm constantly shuffling my dongle between my laptop and my desktop, and occasionally, I start a project without the dongle in, not noticing the tiny 'Discovery Edition' lable at the top of the Modeler window. I proceed to do work for 30 minutes or so, go to save and... whoops! Discovery Edition won't save over 400 points! Insert dongle and start over! I'd rather Modeler or Layout just tell me that the dongle isn't present and save me the trouble. Maybe something in the config file?

thanks,

j

mkiii
03-27-2004, 01:06 PM
One way might be to move your license key file so LW cant find it, maybe via a batch file.

The trouble is, you would need to remember to run it (and the associated, move keyfile back batch file) every time you swapped the dongle.

Overall, I'd say it would be quicker to just think *dongle* before you start the app.

bloontz
03-27-2004, 01:16 PM
I agree, they should have a "No dongle found" dialog that pops up with continue and quit options and a don't show this again checkbox.

pooby
03-28-2004, 08:09 AM
If tt happens again, you can always split your model up into separate parts, and save them off separately, then, once you have your dongle attached, load them all to one layer and merge..
It means you shouldn't lose any important work you have done.
This won't work if you have UV's though.

Lamont
03-28-2004, 12:42 PM
What you can do is start lightwave w/ the dongle and remove the dongle and plug it into another machine.

But the split-up option works great. I've done that a few times.

harlan
03-28-2004, 01:25 PM
Yeah, it's called a "crack"!!! ;)

hehehe....I'm just playing people...don't cut my throat.

hrgiger
03-28-2004, 06:27 PM
God, I hate it when that happens. It happens often since my wife and I are fighting over the one remaining USB port, which either holds my USB dongle or her printer. She always leaves her printer plugged in and I go to start working and end up losing 15-30 minutes of work when I discover it won't save in discovery model. There really should be a way for LIghtwave to detect the dongle as it's running instead of just upon startup.

Lamont
03-28-2004, 06:33 PM
Just pull one of these:

USB Hub (http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=0&submit=Go&description=USB%2CHub)

TheDAve
03-31-2004, 05:17 AM
jamesl

This sounded like an interesting little project so I knocked up a small plugin to do this.

It can be found here (http://homepages.enterprise.net/dshillito/Plugins/CheckDongle.zip) .

I hope this does what you want, let me know if you have any problems with it.

Its quite simple so should not cause you any problems, but it has only been tested on my setup (PC LW7.5c, parellel dongle)

DAve

omeone
03-31-2004, 05:47 AM
works with USB dongle on the same setup too, thanks TheDAve

dwburman
04-01-2004, 11:57 AM
Actually, the point limit is per layer. You don't have to save out separate objects, just cut and paste into different layers and save one object.

You probably already knew that though :)

jamesl
04-01-2004, 12:02 PM
Thanks The DAve! I'll give it a try! :)

j

jamesl
04-03-2004, 10:59 PM
Works great! Thanks again!

j

jamesl
04-17-2004, 08:24 PM
The DAve...

your plugin saved me today. Thanks again.

j

p.s. I'm going to add a post to this thread every time it saves me.

TheDAve
04-18-2004, 10:56 AM
Cheers, It was my pleasure.

Here's to a long thread :)