PDA

View Full Version : I take stuff off my video drives but they never refresh and show the added space

ken07
03-27-2004, 10:03 AM
On my video drives in my VT3, say I have 150 GB available. I remove 20 GB of clips but the drive continues to say 150GB. The only way I can recover the free space is to reformat. Why do the drives not give me back the space when I remove clips. This just started and I can't figure out why. It just seem to start doing this. AS I add more clips, it says 120, 100, 50, etc...until I the drive is full. Even if I remove all the clips...it does not give me the space back.
[email protected]

RomainR
03-27-2004, 10:32 AM
Stupid question:

Do you empty the recycle bin?

Also trash the newtek info folders. If you're using DV files.
The audio info kept in the newtek info folders can get large.

ken07
03-27-2004, 11:14 PM
emptied recycling bin...still no luck ..any other ideas for getting back video drive space. I empty the drive but the storage space does not return..it acts like its still full.

WizCraker
03-27-2004, 11:21 PM
Have you done anything recently such as installed new software, installed new hardware? Are your A/V drives seperate from your main system drive or are you using the same drive with different partions? What OS are you running? When did you notice the first occurance?

ken07
03-29-2004, 07:10 AM
I have 3 sets of striped video drives. I put on Norton system works is all. Sometime during this time frame...I deleted the info off one of the drives and it showed I still had no additional space gained. I ended up deleting the volume and redoing it. Then I had the full drive space available. But on all my a/v drives, if I remove something...it does not show nor seem to give me back the space. For instance if I take off 10 GB...it does not show I have 10 gb more space available. It will just take off the space that each new clip adds, until I am down close to zero. The only way to get it full again is to refomat or delete the volume and start again. After the problem I loaded the new build from newtek, but no solution. help

RomainR
03-29-2004, 07:28 AM
Maybe the stuff you're deleting ends up being Norton protected.

Look to see in the recycle bin if you need to empty the norton protected files. A rightclick over the recylce bin should give you the option to delete Norton protected files.

Just taking a guess.

UnCommonGrafx
03-29-2004, 07:35 AM
I don't know if that's a guess or just being informed, Romain. :D

Yeah, if Norton is involved and you aren't getting your space back, it's the most (only) likely suspect.

Do as Romain suggested and you'll be good to go, I'm sure.

ken07
03-29-2004, 12:14 PM
I talked to Newtek by phone and they say its a Windows problem with them not refreshing or updating the drives to give back the empty space after I delete files in the video drives.

If I reformat, I get back all the space..I just don't get it back when I delete files that are on that drive. I have to reformat .
I did take Norton Antivirus off of the computer. The dealer told me I should not have that on my VT3 machine.
Anyone know what this problem is and how it can be cured. thanks ,KEN

ted
03-29-2004, 12:35 PM
It does sound like a "windows" issue of some sort, not a NewTek one.
While I totally agree keeping a system free of unnecessary software is a good idea, I feel keeping a system safe is important also. I do have Norton installed on all 3 systems and haven't found Norton to be a problem.

Other then the trash not being emptied, I don't have anything to guess at, other then some program saving the files as a protection.
:confused:

WizCraker
03-29-2004, 01:08 PM
You might want to try the Microsoft Newsgroups for Windows.

http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/

ken07
03-29-2004, 03:06 PM
thanks for the ideas. If you think of anything else..or if a light goes off ..let me know. We are all stooged here. Ken