PDA

View Full Version : F_primes competitor, Turtle(Maya)

New2Lw
03-26-2004, 09:04 PM
Found a short article on Turtle, Maya's new rendering engine, in 3DWorld Magazine.

Here's the link to thier site.

http://www.illuminatelabs.com/products/

Later,
Eric

New2Lw
03-26-2004, 09:15 PM
Here's a couple quotes off thier site that I think are interesting.

"Turtle™ can render both internally in Maya® and externally as a standalone application."

"Turtle™ for Maya® also allows beta testers to preview renderings with full raytracing and Global Illumination"

"Preview Mode (interactive visualization with raytracing and global illumination)"

So, it looks like it covers at least what F_Prime does and it can also be a stand alone. Anyway, interesting stuff.

Eric

Dodgy
03-27-2004, 08:46 AM
I bet it has an interesting price too :)

I get scared when people ask me to email them just to find out the price of something....

wacom
03-27-2004, 09:24 AM
So what does this mean for mental ray? Will things preview the same as they are in MR?

I know it doesn't mean a thing...but if they think calling it Turtle and having a "wicked" rabbit is a clever idea...

tudor
03-27-2004, 02:17 PM
A friend of mine is on that beta team.. And well.. It is just a renderer. It has it flaws and it's strenghts.. It is nowhere near what Fprime is.

lasvideo
03-27-2004, 09:56 PM
Ironic name for a fast renderer.

Rich
03-30-2004, 07:12 AM
Found out the pricing on Turtle. $1199 USD $999 USD for a render node. 1 year free support and upgrades.

New2Lw
03-30-2004, 02:37 PM
Wow, even after F_Primes initial discount price it's still less than half as much. I'm guessing since it can be a stand alone renderer that's a big part of the reason it costs so much.

I wonder if Lightwave 8 is being held off till Worley is caught up with orders so Newtek can help Worley get around some of the SDK limitations to make F_prime better?.?.

Eric

Dodgy
03-30-2004, 03:45 PM
Colour me surprised... It seems the whole plugin community for maya seems to think their clients have huge pockets.

3 cheers for Mister Worley for showing them how it should be done... And the rest of the plugin writers for coming out with such cheap and plentiful plugins!

wacom
03-31-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Dodgy
Colour me surprised... It seems the whole plugin community for maya seems to think their clients have huge pockets.

3 cheers for Mister Worley for showing them how it should be done... And the rest of the plugin writers for coming out with such cheap and plentiful plugins!

It doesn't take a whole lot to understand that selling things for half the cost to 3X as many people is more profitable. But Worley also has 100th the advertising power of Alias and Co. and we know what that can do (unfortunatly). Good old word of mouth, "killer" images at "killer" rendertimes, and cost are all that Steve has going for him. :)