PDA

View Full Version : Game Development plugins

rebelr6
03-26-2004, 03:33 PM
Hi everyone, this is my first post on this brilliant forum. :)

I have a question for some of the Lightwave SDK gurus out there. I am wanting to use Layout as a level building tool. For this to work, I have to define game specific properties and attach or associate them with different objects. Stuff like health, damage, allegiance, ai_state etc. These properties must be modifiable via the Lightwave User Interface.

Is it possible to do this?

Maya allows you to add custom nodes and data anywhere in the dependency graph. I hope Lightwave has this functionality.

thanks in advance for any insight.:)

Lamont
03-28-2004, 11:56 AM
What we do is use the "Comments" of the object. Or nameing conventions ie: name the object "terrain" and it will know to export the object, use strips and tile it, and this is the ground.

A health item can use the comments section. Or it can use a weight map (demo'ed at GDC for LW6..). We don't do it that way, but it can be done.

AI states can be done like this also.

One thing is I wish the comments feature was not busted up into rows.

Hmmmm.... you can probably get around that by writing your own, or intergrating your scripting system into LW.

Mattoo
03-28-2004, 06:00 PM
That's interesting stuff. I got the impression that embedded info like this was not as popular as it was thought it was going to be.

I worked on a project where we thought we were gonna be clever and do this but everyone hated it and vowed to go back to asscociated text files again - everyones much happier since anyone can adjust these, rather than just the people with the 3D apps....?

Is embedded stats that common?

Lamont
03-28-2004, 06:06 PM
Characters are scripted via a text file that's compiled when the levels are run.

I like to stay within the app as much as possible, tagging things as destructable, 8bit alpha'd (requires extra processing so it's best to tag them instead of treating them all the same..), a collectable ect... is great for me, and great for small companies who don't buy a engine w/level editor, or have the $$ to develop one.

I always thought that 3DS Max/Lightwave/Maya are great level editors ;).

jin choung
03-29-2004, 01:04 AM
actually,

i think POWERGONS were made specifically to contain data/parameters that can be utilized by code....

it's definitely possible but have to have a programmer....

jin