PDA

View Full Version : Spinning light trick

shockwave
03-26-2004, 03:27 PM
I am trying to set the spinning light trick but when I want to parent the spotlight to the null it it suddenly gets placed miles away from the null and is really diffucult to put back into its origional position. Why does it get sent miles away?:eek:

digimassa
03-26-2004, 03:32 PM
:cool: "parent in place"? ^^

Lightwolf
03-26-2004, 03:35 PM
Do you have "parent in place" activated (options panel, press'o') ?
If you don't it will add the light position to the null.

Cheers,
Mike

shockwave
03-26-2004, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the quick replys guys. Parent in place was off. Whats happening now is that im not getting the blur that I had in mind. Im getting lines of where shadow is or was during the rotation of the light with the orbiting null. I used the example given in Menithings site. I do have motion blur on and set at 50%. Could I have the orbiting null making too big of an orbit? I am only using one light so far in the scene.

toby
03-26-2004, 08:51 PM
Your light is moving too far. You will get 1 shadow per AA pass per light, and when these shadows are close enough together and dithered, you get a soft shadow. If you have the light spinning all the way around the subject, you will get 5 (with Low AA) distinct shadows spaced all the way around the subject. To get a soft shadow that way, you'd need about 180 AA passes!

If you want a soft shadow all the way around your subject, you could clone the light about 10 times and space them around the subject, or it may be faster/easier to use backdrop radiosity.

shockwave
03-26-2004, 09:02 PM
Thanks Toby Ill keep playing around with it and try to get a feel for it. What does AA mean?
I havent had very much practice with layout yet . I also have another small problem. VIPER is not showing the scene, just black , and so is the surface editor , im just getting a black ball , no textures.

toby
03-26-2004, 09:08 PM
AA is anti-aliasing.

The surface editor and Viper are OpenGL renders, different from the render engine, and they don't display everything that LW can use, like Radiosity - you can't see it preview until you render, and area lights aren't accurate. Lights must have 'Affect OpenGL' checked.

KK 's
03-27-2004, 11:05 AM
I got 1 question here,

I know spinning light trick is pretty cool for exterior but how about interior? is it okay for this?:)

shockwave
03-27-2004, 11:34 AM
I thought so. Yes the Affect open GL was not checked , I dont know why I checked it off. Must have been tired. Im going to play with the Raidosity a bit. How many times over one frame should i spin the null?
Hi KK. What kind of interior are you lighting? Size /windows / lights? atmosphere? I havent tried it yet but in my computer room the shadows are pretty sharp from my desk light which has a red bulb and no other light source but the monitor. I keep the blinds closed on the window.

KK 's
03-27-2004, 05:42 PM
mine 1 is inside a castle in afternoon, and there is some volumetric light shinning from outside cross the window, is it suitable to use this spinning light trick to make it real?

KK 's
03-27-2004, 05:44 PM
okay, mine 1 is inside a castle in afternoon, and there is some volumetric light shinning from outside cross the window, is it suitable to use this spinning light trick to make it real?:) :)

shockwave
03-27-2004, 10:15 PM
Sounds cool I would give it a try .