PDA

View Full Version : thickness in polygon

ginhan
03-26-2004, 02:15 PM
I'm trying to make a polygon have thickness and show a bevel on one side.
it's kinda of a curvy shape.

Anyway, I used spline draw to draw the shape on the left view and I froze the polygon. Removed some points. Since the surface normal was pointing to the negative x from the top view, I flipped it to the +x (if you're looking at the top view). Don't know if this matters.

a) how can I make it thick? don't think I'm doing it right.
From what i understand in a previous "pond thickness posting"
This is how i did it. I took the polygon, copied it,
beveled it to extrude, then pasted back the original and moved it to where I stopped the bevel

it looks like it has thickness ...

b) However, now when I take a side to bevel, the polygon is giving me "folds" in the middle. I only have points on the edges.

thanks for any help.

flinder
03-26-2004, 02:31 PM
i'm having a little trouble visualizing the problem here, but might the thickener plugin help you out?

http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.CFM?ID=1665

ginhan
03-26-2004, 08:39 PM
thanks, but I want to try first without using a plugin.

just wanted to learn how to make a polygon, like a rectangle have some thickness.

Extruding it only looks thick, but when I want to bevel one side I'm getting "folds". (the second problem)

digimassa
03-27-2004, 02:15 PM
:cool:
you could try SmoothShift^^

ginhan
03-29-2004, 07:31 AM
I tried smooth shift, but when I turn the model, the other side is hollow...

I'd like to get both sides solid.

xid3d
03-29-2004, 07:51 AM
Try:
select the points on the "open side", then hit "p" to make a polygon.
Use "f" to flip the surface normal out if it's pointed in, or make it double sided in surface editor.

If the poly is "non-planner", then you might have to "triple" to make flat triangles.

ginhan
03-29-2004, 11:12 AM
that worked.. that's what I wanted.

now I would like to know what the deal is with my object when I'm trying to bevel it.
sorry if the screen capture isn't clear, but the problem is I'm getting the folds.

what might be the cause for that?
I've already taken out "extra" points, need I take out more

thanks again.

xid3d
03-29-2004, 12:08 PM
Was just trying a similar bevel.

When beveling inward, it's easy to cross points at the corners , which is the most common problem.

Sometimes its cleaner to start with the smaller inner poly, then bevel down and outward, then you never cross points.

So you could take your panel, then reverse engineer it so to speak, in the next layer and use your full shape as a template, starting with the inner polly and working outwards.

OR, it could be OK now and only look folded in OGL. Did you have any luck when rendering a test frame in Layout?

ginhan
03-30-2004, 07:34 AM
the folds appear in layout rendered...

what I did was beveling it twice and it seemed to get rid of the folds.

I didn't follow what you are explaining..
do you mean beveling (sizing them down first), then take one polygon at a time, the smaller one first and extend it out that way?

digimassa
03-30-2004, 07:39 AM
:cool:
smooth shift not bevel^^ and RTFM

xid3d
03-30-2004, 08:50 AM
SmoothShift is great,

This might help what I was trying to say about bevel:

The problem seems to be at the sharpest corner, Zoom in on it and you'll probably find at least a couple crossed lines.
SEE attached pic -
From LW 7.5 doc, Multiplying Geometry, The extend Group.

NOTE
Sometimes you also need to manually drag points on the new polygon away from the corner.

Another corner-fixing trick is to bevel out instead of in. This has the benefit of not requiring you to mess with any points, but it affects the spacing between characters, if you are working with text. For this, use the Outer setting for Edges in the Bevel numeric panel.

Read up on SmoothShift in the same section too, awesome tool.

ginhan
03-30-2004, 10:32 PM
yeah I zoomed in and saw those crossed points..
It seems to be okay as long as I don't smooth shift too much at one time.

Thanks alot. :D