PDA

View Full Version : Unwanted lines

randysolo
03-26-2004, 01:01 PM
Hello guys,

I've rendered a couple things lately and noticed something I've never seen before. Horizontal lines here and there in the picture. I've never seen them before. has anyone else noticed these?

LW8 looks great....but I gotta wait.....til a later date....before I update.....to LW8.

just call me the Dr. Suess of 3D.

thanks,

rAndysolo

toby
03-26-2004, 08:35 PM
Lines? I don't see any lines!

You're really going to have to attach a picture for us to help with that one. Also tell us your render settings.

randysolo
03-27-2004, 05:57 AM
Sorry!

http://www.powersolo.com/problems/lipse2.jpg

The lines in question are under the bottom of the back leg and a couple other places. I can give you the settings right now but I'll try later. I just used raytracing, 2 area lights, medium antialias, 200% resolution. That's about it.
Any ideas? Let me know, I appreciate all the help or any help!

thanks,

randysolo

mkiii
03-27-2004, 07:28 AM
How many render segments are you using?

If it's more than one, just try increasing the Camera Properties Segment memory Limit to a number high enough to render in 1 segment.

You can set this figure as high as you want because LW will only use as much as it needs during rendering, it does not immediately grab the full amount.

randysolo
03-27-2004, 10:09 AM
Thanks,

that worked! Does that mean I should leave that as the default? Or do I need to always change the setting to achieve 1 segment? I had to set the memory limit to 50 megs. Does this setting affect rendering time/speed? Thanks for your help, I KNEW there was an answer out there somewhere.

I have another question - how do you break into the 3D business and what rates do you charge? Or should I make this another post?

thanks all the same

randysolo

mkiii
03-27-2004, 12:39 PM
Set the level to 2gb if you feel like it. I have been assured that this memory will not be used unless LW needs it. It doesn't automatically try to create a huge buffer 2gb in size.

It doesn't pay to use more than 1 unless you physically do not have enough ram to complete the task in 1 segment.

I think your second question will get more notice if you start a new thread in the appropriate place, but in partial answer. I got in by guile, determination, luck & sheer bloody mindedness.

Other people have rich parents, know someone in the biz, are somehow noticed by the right people, or any number of ways.

I guarantee, that you are not going to get a single definitive answer on that one. Rates are dependant on how good you are, the type of work you can do, and the current market value to name but 3.