PDA

View Full Version : deforming box sine wave

mankeroo
03-26-2004, 09:43 AM
Hi

I have a flat polygon subdivided many times, and brought into layout. How can I deform it in layout so that it looks like a sine wave is rippling it vertically? So it smoothly undulates up and down...not the entire object's motion path, but if the object was still, how can I deform the points so that it fluidly undulates like a sinewave?

Thanks!

byte_fx
03-26-2004, 10:18 AM
Off the top of my head I can think of a couple of ways - although I haven't tried either for this particular effect.

Both involve applying a texture displacement map ..... object>prperties>deformations>texture (think that's correct ... anyway you get the idea)

Easiest to me would to select 'gradient' in the texture editor with x or z distance from center as the input parameter. Create a key at the bottom of the gradient panel. Set the appropriate -+ dimensions (top and bottom keys) to cover the surface and set those equal the amount of deflection you wamt- the values should be the same.

Create a third key halfway between the two end keys and assign a deflection value that is the recipocal of the two end keys. Example: end keys deflection = 5 then the center value would be - 5.

Create a null, parent it to the planar object, use it as the textures parent object. Animating that null should ripple the surface. Use the texture value setting/envelope to control the magnitude over time if you want to.

Of course you can always apply grey scale map that goes from black to white and back to black but the first method has the advantage of being very tweakable. Yuo can add more key values, etc if needed w/o the need to make a new image map.

Lke I said - haven't tried it but should work.

byte_fx