PDA

View Full Version : best way to render animation with radiosity

JML
03-26-2004, 07:35 AM
so many people here, so...

what do you guys think of the best way
to render an animation with radiosity, without taking weeks to render and without 'flickering'

i have no problem doing still, even at huge resolution but for animation, I wonder what the best way...

thanks

(interior scene)

ddho1981
03-26-2004, 07:38 AM
either go through baking hell (i've never actually successfully done an interior animation) ... but if you got fprime--that may do the trick. it's wicked fast with radiosity.

Jockomo
03-26-2004, 07:40 AM
Definately FPrime

JML
03-26-2004, 07:50 AM
baking is an option, but that would be a lot of baking.. for each objects...ouch
I have Fprime but the thing is Fprime can't render
on network.. so I won't be able to use the renderfarm at work..

that would be a lot of frame to render with Fprime with only 1 computer...

theo
03-26-2004, 08:13 AM
Yeah JM- that's exactly why I am not one these guys jumping up and down screaming, "FPrime". FPRime is cool but at this stage- it is very limited in a real-world scope.

Jaffro
03-26-2004, 08:31 AM
Baking :D it will save your render times too. Depending on what you need your radiosity for you maybe able to use other methods that might not be so painful for baking with.

I've recently taken to using gMil occlusion shader and surface baker to give me a nice look. Why do people hate surface baking so much? I've had little problems with it, and its generally fast enough for me. Its just the setup that takes the time after that life is fast!

JML
03-26-2004, 08:58 AM
I might have to fake it with large area lights like I did before..

that would be cool to have 1 button "bake lighting"

Jaffro
03-26-2004, 09:11 AM
I missed that bit in your first post that said interior scene. Oops! :)

You dont have to bake everything, but bake the big stuff. The most important thing is the floor, then the walls, then the ceiling and major objects after that. You can save alot of time by just baking the floor and walls, and these are easy things to bake, espically the floor - its just a flat plain after all (in general). That will take out the major shadow area and ensure that at least the rooms objects will feel grounded.

Taking time out to do baking is better than taking it out to try and fix radiosity or large scale light rigs imho. I've cut my render times from 15min average to 2min average just through improved light setup (but mainly baking), and people still think its global illum rendered.