PDA

View Full Version : Item shape arguments

davidalv
03-25-2004, 03:46 PM
Hi I'm a old lightwave user but a newbie scripter. This piece of code lend me add a item shape plugin to a null and open the properties panel for this plugin.

generic
{
AddNull("Control");
SelectByName("Control");
ApplyServer("CustomObjHandler","LW_ItemShape");
CommandInput("EditServer CustomObjHandler LW_ItemShape");
}

But I would like that the lscript configure this options.

Any ideas about this? Where I can find documentation about argument to configure plugins?

Thanks in advance.

David

Suricate
03-31-2004, 10:21 AM
Configuring the internal data of a plug-in is not possible with LW 7.5. This a serious defect of LW's current architecture (and made many plug-in developers despair :( ), but in LW 8 it will be possible. :D

davidalv
04-05-2004, 02:38 AM
Thanks! We wait for Lw 8:D

NanoGator
07-16-2004, 05:57 PM
Well I'm a bit late in replying, but I'm trying to use Item Shape with LScript myself. I don't know if this helps in the slightest, but I did cook up a solution:

Create a scene file with the appropriate nulls, apply the right Item Shape properties to them, then use a 'load from scene' feature to bring them in.

Not as snazzy as applying it programatically, but I'll takes what i can gets so long as it works. :D

GregMalick
10-23-2004, 02:45 AM
Well, LW8 has come.... I still don't think we can pass a parameter / configure a plugins internal data, right? :(

ArtHowe
10-25-2004, 12:38 PM
Configuring a plugin from either a plugin or a script requires that the receiving plugin either "publish" a set of commands to LightWave's command system (ala the surfed and graphed commands) that other plugins or LScripts can call or use the new communication ring system where it would create a message loop that other plugins and LScripts can subscribe too to access and set data.

Plugin developers would need to refer to the SDK to learn about publishing to Layout's command system, but I am currently working up an example of using the communication ring between two LScripts for publication to the NewTek site. There is already an example of an LScript controlling a C plugin via the communication ring in the SDK: http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/developer/LW80/8lwsdk/docs/globals/comring.html

Art

GregMalick
10-25-2004, 01:38 PM
Art,
I really look forward to your example.
I also wish I could look at the LScript example on the NewTek site, but the link to
http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/developer/LW80/8lwsdk/sample/Layout/CustomObject/ComRing/

gives me a 403 forbidden message. :(

Weetos
11-06-2009, 04:00 AM
Sorry to dig this up, but I'm trying to create a script that would automatically converts points to Nulls (like Powergons do) with itemshape applied (with parameters, of course)

Is this possible with 9.6+ ? I just can't find 9.6 lscript documentation, so I thought maybe someone could point me to the right direction

Thanks

NanoGator
11-06-2009, 03:35 PM
I don't think so. But it would be possible to have the lscript write a simple scene file with an item shape and auto-merge it in. That's what we had to do for Maestro.

Jarno
11-06-2009, 09:28 PM
It is possible in 9.6 to set the itemshape parameters. Have a look at the makejointchain.ls script. It involves sending the correct magic datastructure through a comring which the itemshape is listening to.

---JvdL---